Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Torquing Heads and Resetting Valves

Going back together with new ARP studs that will be torqued to 38 ftlbs per manufactures spec. Will I need to re-torque the heads after 1000 miles with these studs? Also, with the new valves run for a 1100 miles before the tear down should I need to reset the valves after another 1000 miles?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Prob get more feedback asking this in the Engine Rebuilding forum, but my newbie thoughts would be yes and yes...I've also gone for the ARP's and have no intention of not checking/re-torquing once I've got 1k miles under my belt. Re the valves, I'll defer to those that build engines for a living, but my guess would be that everything has (presumably) been torn down to remove the cam carriers from the heads from the cylinders? Even if not, then the relationship of the cam/chain/idlers/etc will have been disturbed, so certainly (IMHO) merits at least a check.
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 04-22-2013, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I would definetly check valve adjustment. There is really no reason not to.

Do it yourself as you perform the first oil change. In a slow pace, it'll take you half a day, and all is buttoned up again. That's my rookie take on it anyways - just did the same on my rebuild.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 04-22-2013, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

i know you are right on this. I am just getting tired of the work. Adjusting valves and re-torquing an engine in place is not my favorite thing to do, but I will do it. I am really on my own in Des Moines, Iowa. No dealerships or indy shops that I would feel confortable with, but that has been the case for over the 30 some years I have owned a Pcar.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I know how you feel.

Back home in Denmark, I live out in the country. No help either, at all
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 04-22-2013, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyjay View Post
Going back together with new ARP studs that will be torqued to 38 ftlbs per manufactures spec. Will I need to re-torque the heads after 1000 miles with these studs? Also, with the new valves run for a 1100 miles before the tear down should I need to reset the valves after another 1000 miles?
I have the same ARP studs, and 3.3 engine, torqued to 38ft/lbs. I have always wondered why ARP want so much torque, and can this over-stress the case boss threads??

Daniel

Old 04-23-2013, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: