Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
gearhead

I would spend $10k going through the engine and fuel system, get it running and ask 40-45k. If you want out of it, don't spend the $ for a full resto.

If you want out of it today, obviously from the results of this thread you can sell it for $15k in 5 minutes. That suggests to me that it really is worth closer to $25k as it sits.

Early 3.0 cars are worth way more than us being suggested here. Either people posting arent in touch with the real market or are low balling you out of personal interest.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

As to the "basket case" being discussed, a buyer just called to say he had been offered a fairly original 76 for $40K. It has been unused for many years with a complete older poor repaint of original color, metallic copper brown, not running, ( broken head studs?) with 38K miles and might buy it. Sounds like the prices have continued to rise since i last sold any early cars. I have a 77 with most desirable colors ( silver w lobster leather/cloth ) with 24k miles and records from new. Some repaint due to the problems with the original silver two part paint that the factory offered warranty on. For those not familiar the clear coat crazes under certain conditions on the early metallic w/clear coat cars. I have only seen one perfect totally original silver early car in over 25 years. Anyway on mine the intercooler/ muffler is changed. A guy currently wants it for around $70-80K. I'm still reluctant to sell. 2 years ago I sold a excellent complete as delivered new, original, 1977 30K mile red / tan sunroof delete for around $60 K and thought it was right, now i would not let it go for that price, or am I off? I actually like the silver/lobster one I kept far better than the one I sold so maybe "beauty is in the eye" applies.

Last edited by voitureltd; 04-26-2013 at 06:45 AM..
Old 04-25-2013, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Thanks for your input guys. There were a few of you that I was hoping to hear from. In the last 7-8 years, I have tried to keep an eye on the market, and there have really only been two cars in similar condition that I saw sell, both in the low to mid teens, but that was almost 4- 5 years ago.
I overheard someone saying that a guy turned down 80 k cash for his really nice 77 at Hershey last week. I do believe the prices are on the rise.
Didn't mean to sound snotty about paring it out, but this car is all there, not wrecked, and not rusty, parting it out to make a few extra grand, would be a travesty of justice. I'd just sit on it first.
I now have an inbox full of offers, and inquiries. Have been on the fence for years whether or not to sell, I have talked myself out of several times already. I am at least 5 years out before I could even begin to think about starting on a restoration of this car.
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 04-25-2013, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
I would spend $10k going through the engine and fuel system, get it running and ask 40-45k. If you want out of it, don't spend the $ for a full resto.

If you want out of it today, obviously from the results of this thread you can sell it for $15k in 5 minutes. That suggests to me that it really is worth closer to $25k as it sits.

Early 3.0 cars are worth way more than us being suggested here. Either people posting arent in touch with the real market or are low balling you out of personal interest.
I agree with Matt. Spend a little to get it running and simply clean it up it would be worth your time and/or the amount you would pay someone to do it. I am a diy'er to the extent I am able to do it correctly and that saves a lot of money and provides a venting mechanism for the stresses of life, and I suck at golf and I don't live near any snow covered mountains...

If you can sit on it a little longer I think you can realize a little more for the car or if nothing else fully realize that you do want to sell it. I have heard from several that stated they regretted selling their early turbo.

my $.02 added to another Pelican's $.02. You almost have a nickel!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Yeah if you don't have to sell it don't. I actually find it incredible how cheap the early turbos are, of course with the 3.3 it's a different story as there must be 10x more of them.

Sit on it, collect the parts you need as and when they turn up and you'll be sitting on a very nice and rare car one day!

Now if you need the cash that's a different story but don't sell it cheap!

Old 04-25-2013, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Agree, if you can, then do it. A worth while project when you will have the time to do it. It will be nice to use when done.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I got all the cars out of winter storage this week. I drove a 912 e, a 996 4s, my other 1976 early 930, a 71 e, and my old carbed 3.2 hot rod sc. It was a good week.
Anyhow, here are some more photos of the car. Kind of hard to get shots of the motor, as it is still jammed in the back corner, but you get the drift

I can't believe that I let this car sit, but one week after bringing it home, my son was born, and life took on a whole new direction.
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Come on man, you can't sell that thing, it is just sitting there waiting for you.

Make it a driver, and see what that leads to...
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 05-03-2013, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

If you are smart put it on Ebay and link through a for sale post on here. Guys in the $15 range are back 3 years ago. These are $100k cars restored in a year or two easy.

I sold my 77 on here last year and made a huge mistake not researching first and taking a quick offer. Without exaggeration I had 70 plus PM'S within listing the first day. I could have easily got $5k more out of the car. Live and learn, then I got it dirt cheap to begin with. If I hadn't been moving to the land of SMOG CA I would have kept it.

Good luck and be smart as these are very desirable cars in stock condition. Of course parting out a 76 is not a wise move.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to VZ935
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
If you're just in it for the money,, then part it out, as a roller it's worth 9k,, then engine another 8-9,, tranny 2, fuchs ? hmmm ,,
2 grand for a short bellhousing 76/77 930 tranny ? I'll take it!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
gearhead

I sold the last short bell housing I had for $2k. Just the bell housing without a single other part attached to it. No gears. No ring and pinion. No nothing. Don't even think it had a side cover and definitely didn't have and end cover.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
breathe, pause, think.

It looks like a very stock 930 3.0L. Original early 930 tails are out there. I think you should keep it...your boy will thank you in about 10-12 years when his 930 obsession begins. You could make it a fine driver and enjoy it, no doubt.

I bought my 77 Euro 930 basket-case for $9K in 2000 (engine/gearbox out, missing parts, high mileage, etc). $55K & ~6 yrs later and it's the way I want it, not stock, but mine!

If you needed to sell, I'd say don't accept anything less then $25K as is. It looks to be all there and the mileage is right. Good luck with what ever you choose.

I'd keep it. I toy with the idea of selling mine, investing in real estate and whatnot, but then I drive it and the idea of selling goes out of my head for a while longer.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I think I have an early tail in my storage garage. PM if you want some pics. I am in Canada but 60 mi from Mich(48060) so shipping is easier.
1964 Corvair Spyder Turbo gone
2012 Boss 302
Old 05-07-2013, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
Keep it for another 5 years, then restore it or pay somebody else to restore it. I bet you'll get $150k plus for it based on the way the 2.7RS cars appreciated over the last few years. The 1st gen turbos are next in line for crazy collector values.

If you do put it on eBay, list it on eBay.de .

By the way, that tach is not from a 76 - it has a boost gauge. I love the fact that the stripes and turbo graphics are intact. My stripes were removed at the first service (documented) but the turbo graphics remain.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche

Last edited by unclebilly; 05-07-2013 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Fat fingers and iPads... Bad combination.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
I sold the last short bell housing I had for $2k. Just the bell housing without a single other part attached to it. No gears. No ring and pinion. No nothing. Don't even think it had a side cover and definitely didn't have and end cover.
i have a 1977 short bellhousing and mainshaft along with a complete trans, the trans and limited slip were overheated , due to not refilled when in for service. Anyone can PM me if want knowing more. $2K+ a little seems reasonable for mine, based upon the above comment. Included will be the 77 case with most everything except R&P which was to bad to save. Also included will be reusable over sized race carrier bearings the bellhousing is machined for. Other wise it will go into the dark closet for later. Nuff said.

Last edited by voitureltd; 05-08-2013 at 03:34 PM..
Old 05-07-2013, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

I would be interested in that 930. When I sold you that Peru red 76 a couple years back I was in some real financial trouble, hence the price you paid for it. If you want to return the favor get in touch with me please I am looking to get back in the game on an early car. Thank You Fred

Kevin
Old 05-29-2013, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
With all due respect, I had to mention the speedo is in Mph and not Kph. You noted the car was an ROW. The tach is from a later turbo which mentioned in the earlier in the thread. Most importantly the VIN tag on the car is incorrect. It should be a ten digit VIN without numerals. The last digit shows a "B" which is wrong for a ROW 930 car. I believe that style VIN plate had moved to the gas tank area of the car by '76 which would be consistent my '77 930. I don't know if you noticed these discrepancies on your car..
Old 05-29-2013, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlobeck View Post
With all due respect, I had to mention the speedo is in Mph and not Kph. You noted the car was an ROW. The tach is from a later turbo which mentioned in the earlier in the thread. Most importantly the VIN tag on the car is incorrect. It should be a ten digit VIN without numerals. The last digit shows a "B" which is wrong for a ROW 930 car. I believe that style VIN plate had moved to the gas tank area of the car by '76 which would be consistent my '77 930. I don't know if you noticed these discrepancies on your car..
I think the last digit is a 8, not B. This would correspond with a RoW 930, and one of the last RoWs to roll off the line in 76. It is probably a few months older than my 77 and might have some of the later updates like the tach w/boost gauge. During "Federalization" the speedo was probably switched out, just like the H4s.

What's with the intercooler on the back seat? What's the light between the oil pressure and fuel gauges?

EDIT: The tach may be incorrect as my 77 has a redline at 6800, but registers up to 8k.

14 535i M Sport

Last edited by WPOZZZ; 05-30-2013 at 04:38 AM..
Old 05-30-2013, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: