Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Head to Cylinder Seal?

On my recent rebuild the shop told me to use Copper Coat on the mating surface between the head and the cylinder. Now that I have the engine apart again for a broken stud and cleaning up the remains of the Copper Coat I wonder how effective this is. What are others doing that have not fly cut and installed gasket seals? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Install dry. No gaskets or copper coat.
1986 944 Turbo
Old 04-26-2013, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by totle View Post
Install dry. No gaskets or copper coat.
+1, I don't think a gasket or copper coat would help any if a head decided to lift and shuffle around under high boost, but flame rings would
FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
1999 Harley Davidson Custom 1250 Hardtail Bobber..SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha
Old 04-26-2013, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

either cut them for flame rings or some shops lap the cylinder to the head with lapping compound. Imagine Auto used to do that.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Where are the flame rings available? Thanks,

Tom
Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Oxner View Post
Where are the flame rings available? Thanks,

Tom
TurboKraft did mine and then recommended lapping.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Do you use common valve grinding compoud to lap them? If not what do you use?
Old 04-26-2013, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Do you use common valve grinding compoud to lap them? If not what do you use?
Yes, valve lapping compound (fine) with the rings removed.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks, thats what I figured.
I'm guessing you put some on the surfaces and with light pressure rotate the head or cylinder back and forth by hand for a minute or two or until there is a nice uniform freshly lapped grey finish on the entire sealing surface where the head and cylinder meets.
Then wash it off of course.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I'm guessing you put some on the surfaces and with light pressure rotate the head or cylinder back and forth by hand for a minute or two or until there is a nice uniform freshly lapped grey finish on the entire sealing surface where the head and cylinder meets.
I think marking the surfaces with machinist's dye was recommended but I basically did exactly as you wrote.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
beancounter

This is exactly what I was told to do by a reputable Ducati shop when I was reassembling my 900cc Duc engine after head stud replacement. Ducati engines are similar to the Porsche in that they do not use any head gaskets.

Quote:
Old 04-27-2013, 02:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
I used a scotchbrite pad and rotated the cylinders on it until they cleaned up nicely then used the pad on the head surface with my finger in the sealing area.

This is not so aggressive to scratch the surface but does nice to clean it up.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Whether you have flame rings or not..... If.... you lift a head you will have the same results. A freshly machined set of mating surfaces lapped, will give you the best sealing. More surface mass area for sealing. If you run a gasket of some sort and lift a head the gasket can become damaged and ultimately top end tear down will be necessary for repair. There are ALOT of BIG HP guys running lapped cylinders without rings. Just saying....
Old 04-29-2013, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
I used a scotchbrite pad and rotated the cylinders on it until they cleaned up nicely then used the pad on the head surface with my finger in the sealing area.

This is not so aggressive to scratch the surface but does nice to clean it up.
Exactly what I did too.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Exactly what I did too.
me too then i lapped them in with valve grinding compound
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 04-30-2013, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Scottsdale Arizona USA

Garage
Its important to have at least the 3 slugs on that side resurfaced and verified the same height. If the ni-resist rings and grooves are added, then resurfaced with machined precision, you shouldn't have to do any lapping.

Just tell your machinist these parts are going on the next Mars Rover so they have to be clean and tight!

This latest engine project had some divots and uneven surfaces.. which means you have to take off more material to get min clean up.

Here is some eye candy complements of PMS:

Old 04-30-2013, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftday View Post
Its important to have at least the 3 slugs on that side resurfaced and verified the same height. If the ni-resist rings and grooves are added, then resurfaced with machined precision, you shouldn't have to do any lapping.

Just tell your machinist these parts are going on the next Mars Rover so they have to be clean and tight!

This latest engine project had some divots and uneven surfaces.. which means you have to take off more material to get min clean up.

Here is some eye candy complements of PMS:

Can you show an example of a mild case that needs work (before its machined) to give us an idea of whats not acceptable and when clean up is going to be required?
It would be great to have a benchmark to know when one can skip this and save some time and money or when its needed for a successful build.

Not being in the biz and seen alot of damaged heads before its hard to make the call if you're a guy like me doing this himself.

Thanks for your experience,
Fred

1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"

Last edited by fredmeister; 05-02-2013 at 08:36 AM..
Old 05-02-2013, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: