Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Stock or performance upgrade.

This may be the wrong area for this. Was not sure where to ask.
I have a stock 1978 930 and it needs a few new exhaust parts. Is it better to keep it stock or go with Fabspeed header system with heat exchangers.

Will it decrease the value of the car not going with stock parts??
Thanks for input.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Put the exhaust as you'll have more fun, but keep all the stock parts.
14 535i M Sport
Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Struggled with the same question myself. Ended up going with the aftermarket upgrades in my sig below. Saved all the existing stock stuff for future use if I ever want to slow the car down again.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilonly View Post
Struggled with the same question myself. Ended up going with the aftermarket upgrades in my sig below. Saved all the existing stock stuff for future use if I ever want to slow the car down again.
And that just about sums it up. After tasting what simple modifications can do, going back would make one wonder about one's sanity. At that point the addiction would have deep hooks into you....no looking back....unless there's a buyer that just must have mediocre performance (by comparison, anyway).

Save the parts, just in case. Many of us have garages full parts for that eventuality. With any luck I'll die before I have to grapple with that decision, and let my heirs worry about it.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the input. That was the way I have been leaning. It is hard to believe that upgrades can devalue the car. I will keep the old part in the attic above the garage. I have been struggling with this for a while. Stock or make it run like it was designed to.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

What is the best aftermarket exhaust to install with heat exchangers.
NeverL8, Fabspeed, GHL, BB???
Old 04-30-2013, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I was told that if heat is very important (like it is for me as I live in Canada), to go with a set of 993 (sorry for the previous mistake here) heat exchangers with flanges reversed (for 930 application), talk to Rarlyl8 and he can supply the pipe that will connect the two sides to the turbo flange with waste gate flange and get his muffler, he has very nice stuff... I'm working on that setup. I got all the parts except the new oil catch can and I can't wait to install it all.
Good luck
David
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)

Last edited by Roby466; 05-02-2013 at 11:41 AM..
Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I made the switch to carerra heat exchangers when I got my car (actually they came off a 91 turbo). Difference was:

Before: the car had no power, no power, and then oh **** oh ****!
Now: more power everywhere but the transition to boost isn't as frightening. Faster and more drivable but also more sane.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
What is the best aftermarket exhaust to install with heat exchangers.
NeverL8, Fabspeed, GHL, BB???

GHL is out of business, the others you mentioned are fine, RarlyL8 sells an optimum set but it will cost you more.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby466 View Post
I was told that if heat is very important (like it is for me as I live in Canada), to go with a set of 996 heat exchangers with flanges reversed (for 930 application), talk to Rarlyl8 and he can supply the pipe that will connect the two sides to the turbo flange with waste gate flange and get his muffler, he has very nice stuff... I'm working on that setup. I got all the parts except the new oil catch can and I can't wait to install it all.
Good luck
David
Isn't this done with 993 heat exchangers?
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

How much work is it to make the 993 heat exchangers work with the 930. That sounds interesting. Do I have to do welding? I might be interested in this.

I was also looking at the after market systems and it looks like all the mufflers do not have an input for the waste gate output? Where does this go and is it loud?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by websjk View Post
How much work is it to make the 993 heat exchangers work with the 930. That sounds interesting. Do I have to do welding? I might be interested in this.

I was also looking at the after market systems and it looks like all the mufflers do not have an input for the waste gate output? Where does this go and is it loud?
I think you have to rotate the flanges. Brian, rarlyl8, and Ben have done this. I would get in contact with him. They used to sell the required u-pipe as well.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 05-02-2013, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by websjk View Post
Stock or make it run like it was designed to.

Eehm, thats the same.

Keep it stock. These old cars have been designed in a way that is what it is.
For more bang for the buck buy yourself a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X - and maxx it out. No loss there.

IMHO 930's are pop-cultural assets, that deserve to be kept as they are... And who needs more power, and in what circumstance, with a 30+ years old car?

Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
(End of rant : )
Old 05-02-2013, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Sorry, I typed the wrong number... (corrected now) It is 993. I purchased mine already switched from a guy here, they appear in the for sale section once in a while. Rarlyl8 will have the rest you need.
David
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 05-02-2013, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
For those that are in favor of stock: Do you mean you think folks should maintain the stock usa exhaust? Didn't the EURO 78 and 79 come with the reasonable Carrera style exchangers, so using them matches the designer's intent?

Rant:

Stock in this case is really bad, especially the heat pumps which are objectively evil and must be destroyed!

Here is photographic proof of how much the stock headers suck, just imagine the gases fighting their way through them. You can keep your original headers in a box for the next owner so he can enjoy the car as original.

Last edited by zakthor; 05-03-2013 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: Forgot the key word EURO in second sentence.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
And for comparison here's the later headers:

Old 05-02-2013, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
That picture above is the exhaust system for a 965, not 930, but is very similar in appearance.

The question of value goes away if you keep the stock parts. All this is bolt-on so can be changed back in an afternoon. Many times we have removed the stock system, sand blasted and painted it then boxed it up for storage. If and when the car sells the OEM system will be in very good condition and add to the value. In the mean time you get to enjoy the car.

I might suggest you look at true performance systems, unless of course you just like heavy shiny stuff.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: