Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ignition Distributor Troubleshooting

I am having trouble with what looks to be the distributor. The engine is not running smooth, it misfires and give pulls. It has an MSD 6AL. The rotor (with out limiter), rotor cap, coil (blaster high vibration), spark plugs (NGK BP8ES), and spark plug cables are new. What can be happening? I think it is electrical the problem because the engine is EFI which makes me believe I have no problem with the fueling. Additionally I got the engine to run correctly when I check the rotor and moved parts from the distributor, but it didn't last long perhaps 10 min when the engine began to give me problems again.

Your inputs will be appreciated!!

XDi will come, but for now I need to get the car running for Sunday.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

you and me both!! mine will run good, then it wont. i think i find the problem, but not.

dont rule out EFI. it aint perfect. you have actually added more fault areas with EFI. you now have wiring to each injector, you have the computer, you have engine data such as temp. RPM and maybe more that is being sent to the computer. (this is why i love CIS).
as with CIS, you have injectors and fuel pressures and air leaks. (part of my problem).

pull the plugs and check to see if any are different.

check AFR's. idle, cruise and boost.

valve adjusment.

check voltage at battery with engine on and a load. (lights etc).

did you run new wires to the coil and dist?

check grounds from engine to body and MSD and computer

i put an Oscope on my dist. i have not found what it should look like but it was a strong and clean 17v waveform. i considered my dist, but i would think that is a work or no work part....could be wrong.

if you are not running your O2 through the speed relay, you no longer need it. just bypass it to run the FP.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 05-01-2013, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Check the Resistor in the rotor. Sometimes the resistor in the rotor burns up with MSD I've had it happen. I had the MSD on the car for a couple of years with no problems I then did a tuneup with a new rotor and a few miles later I had a issue like yours. It was the rotor. If you still have your old rotor do a quick swap and see what happens.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'll check the plugs if there is any difference between them and with another rotor to see if something changes.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: