Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Turn Signals don't blink '87 930

My signals have never worked since I've had this 930 and my dimmer switch for the headlights worked half the time, so I bought a new turn signal switch for the steering column and a new signal relay. Both from Pelican and the signal markers come on both left and right now but won't blink. I'm afraid the relay may be the wrong one. Doesn't the relay do the blinking or am I missing something?

Old switch

New relay

Old relay that was replaced

New relay link
Pelican Parts - Product Information: 1H0-953-227-M206

FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
1999 Harley Davidson Custom 1250 Hardtail Bobber..SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha
Old 05-02-2013, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I tried the second light switch that's a pull switch above and to the right of the a/c controls which I think may be the hazards switch and didn't get anything. No lights and no flashing.

Is there another relay for the hazards or is it the same one?
FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha
Old 05-03-2013, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Okay, OSI930 has helped me pinpoint the problem. I need to reinstall my hazard lights switch that was removed along with the center console. Once that is back in the loop then I think we should get some flashing...

Thanks Man!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

To your question, I believe (but could be wrong) that that relay serves both functions - left/right signals as well as emergency all-blinking-at-the-same-time. I replaced mine a few years ago and has been working just fine (after first taking the old one apart and cleaning it...which worked for several months before going south again. I'm just so damn frugle sometimes...).

Sounds like OSI930's got you headed in the right direction. I wonder about your headlight dimming issue, though. One would think that hi vs lo is relay controlled via the signal for the switch position, as opposed to all those headlight amps being drawn across the column switch contacts. I've never had to mess with it and would have to look at the relay diagrams up front. I could be all wet (again). You apparently have that one all figured out, otherwise why the new switch?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
To your question, I believe (but could be wrong) that that relay serves both functions - left/right signals as well as emergency all-blinking-at-the-same-time. I replaced mine a few years ago and has been working just fine (after first taking the old one apart and cleaning it...which worked for several months before going south again. I'm just so damn frugle sometimes...).

Sounds like OSI930's got you headed in the right direction. I wonder about your headlight dimming issue, though. One would think that hi vs lo is relay controlled via the signal for the switch position, as opposed to all those headlight amps being drawn across the column switch contacts. I've never had to mess with it and would have to look at the relay diagrams up front. I could be all wet (again). You apparently have that one all figured out, otherwise why the new switch?
The headlight dimmer in the column switch is just a layer of contacts that are nearly impossible to get to to clean cuz the switch is riveted together with micro rivets like those I don't have, so just bought a new one...
Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Found the hazards switch and OMG why in the world would it require 8 wires???

Will let you know if it solves my blinker issue...
Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Both relays do the same thing, old & new both blink when hazards are on, but they just stay solid when the signal is engaged on the steering column. No blinky and no turn signal lights lit on tach...
Old 05-03-2013, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Okay, I now have blinky turn signals with the ignition on. However, on of the front markers isn't getting full power cuz it's too dim. If I put the lights on it's bright as it should be, so it must only be the turn signal circuit...
Old 05-03-2013, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCalf View Post
Okay, I now have blinky turn signals with the ignition on. However, on of the front markers isn't getting full power cuz it's too dim. If I put the lights on it's bright as it should be, so it must only be the turn signal circuit...
Hey, good news that you've got blinkage!!!
Feces contaminated ground (can't use the word sh-tty) on that one bulb. Pull out the bulb - clean it and the socket - would be the first thing I would do, followed by replacing the bulb itself, followed by torching the car.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 05-03-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Old 05-03-2013, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Hey, good news that you've got blinkage!!!
Feces contaminated ground (can't use the word sh-tty) on that one bulb. Pull out the bulb - clean it and the socket - would be the first thing I would do, followed by replacing the bulb itself, followed by torching the car.
Will do & thanks!

Here's a pic of my hazard switch:

Old 05-03-2013, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: