Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

mounting an MSD

here is how i did mine. i had to move a few things. just make sure the wires on the small relay are not touching any of the metal on the relay panel. that can rub the insulation off and cause a fire. there is some plastic suff you can put on the edge of the metal to protect the wires, i jsut dont have any right now.

this took about 2.5 or 3 hrs. but i did screw around with the wiring harness trying to staighten it out and make it so i could get the panel out. i could not.
i laid tape sticky side up below where i drilled to catch the metal. a better way would be to have someone with a shop vac hold it close to the drilling.

i only used 3 mounting points for the MSD. the bottom right one was one for the bosch unit. you can remove the back and save it if you want to put a bosch back in.

i have not made a connector that plugs into the connector that went in the bosch unit. i am wanting to get an old bosch unit that cant be fixed and use that connector. that way, if the MSD goes bad, you could jsut plug in a spare permatune or bosch unit.
why an MSD if you have a spare bosch you ask? welll, i suspect an issue with mine but the main reason is to get rid of the speed realy. the only purpose for mine is a rev limiter and to run the FP's. i can jumper the FP and the MSD has a REALLY cool rev limiter. it has 2 switches to set the limit, plus, when you turn the key to "on", the tach jumps up to verify the limit setting.

here are some pics. the big relay is not screwed down. the hole is a little too low and the wiring harness is kinda in the way. its not going anywhere for now. i will re-mount it when i take the engine out and can get in there better. that hole was the hardest to drill out.

BTW, the MSD can not use solid core plug wires. how do i know if mine are solind core?
i have BERU wires and MAGNECORE wires.

08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 05-03-2013, 02:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for posting this.
I have got kind of the same problem as you, and have been following along on the side.

It looks good, looking forward to your test report.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 05-03-2013, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
What is wrong with using solid core wires with the MSD?
Old 05-03-2013, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

that what it said on the MSD.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Here's where mine is located, piggy-backed with the MSDBTM boost timing retard module. Tight fit, but that location hasn't given me any problems over the years. Lots of options on where people mount theirs.
Mine is hard wired direct to the rear fuse panel if I recall (it's been awhile since I put it in), bypassing the ignition shutoff delay relay. Ideally, if I recall, the heavy gauge power wire should be wired direct to the battery via a connection down on the starter solenoid, and the smaller gauge red wire to a keyed circuit.

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Before I sold mine, this is what I did.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

i dont know why people have needed the tach adapter. this is the second MSD i have put in, the other was for a 3 pin bosch in a 77, both tachs have worked fine.

it ran like crap when i first started it.
i thought the pic on the back of the MSD showed the violet going to the center conductor of the dist green wire and the other wire going to the shield. anyway, my timing was waaay advanced, like 40 degrees or more. i started to pull the dist and rotate it so i would have enough adjustment to fix it. then i i swapped the 2 wires and it ran as it has before.
it still has the same miss.

can the plug on the dist be flipped over? if the signal was on the shield, would that make it run like this?

i started it the other day and it ran fine for about a minute or 2, then it started that miss again.

ok, after mulling this over in the "thinking" room, something is backwords on the dist.
the green wire on the MSD IS ground but i have that one connected to the center conductor out of the dist. (i will verify this when it gets light out). i am pretty sure the dist have been apart by a shop for a "timing" issue.
the info i have on the MSD shows the "firing" transition going from lower left(neg) to upper right(pos). when i looked at the output on my dist, it was opposite. positive to negative.

i need to think on this some more
Old 05-06-2013, 03:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

got the LM.

mixture at idle was very lean. i should have driven it to see where it was at cruise so i could see how changing the idle would effect cruise.
anyway. idle is 12.1 and cruise is 14.9 to 15.3 with boost at 12.
i think idle should be a ilttle leaner, like 13 to 13.5. i dont know how it is not surging or dipping down being this rich.
maybe i still have an air leak to have such a rich idle and lean cruise. i would like them to be closer.

my WCP is 3.5bar.

it was much better driving in this morning. seems like changes take a little longer to fully settle in with this car versus my 911. now that i think about that, i think someone else has said that to me.
the miss was much better but, if i was to hold the rpm;s at like 4k, i think it still feels a tad rough. i will have to drive it some more and see. but it is much much better.
i am going to get some new plug wires, cap, rotor and plugs. i was told to use the silver plugs. i am thinking about the clewett wires.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: