Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I remember your posting about the dust load your filter is picking up. This may sound extreme but so is your problem.
I would seriously consider taking my engine air from the interior where the air is clean.
If you keep it in the back chech out some if the modern factory turbo diesel truck filter assemblies. They carry restriction monitors.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

I considered taking the intake air from the interior but wouldn't that make a god awful racket in the cabin I have 993 cab. rear seats so I could rig up some sort of plenum across the bottom below the seats

Last edited by gsmith660; 05-08-2013 at 03:58 PM..
Old 05-08-2013, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Dust can take out a set of rings and your turbo in very short order. Half of Fords 7.3l warranty was from dust gutting. The damage to the turbo is obvious and it was this damage that was tied to low compression and no warranty for you.
Yeah, noisy but a good noise.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

The good thing is it isnt getting past the K&N air filter because I went back and looked for dust in the intake pipe and the charge pipe and found none. There is a light coating of oil in the charge pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by copbait73 View Post
Dust can take out a set of rings and your turbo in very short order. Half of Fords 7.3l warranty was from dust gutting. The damage to the turbo is obvious and it was this damage that was tied to low compression and no warranty for you.
Yeah, noisy but a good noise.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 05-08-2013, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Some more applicable experience.
We, turbo suppliers, do not like oiled air cleaners- another cause to reject warrantee.
The problem is that oil accumulates quickly. This deposit also captures dust and the failures start rolling in.
Detroit Diesel once had a very large fleet of Class 8 trucks who changed over to " lifetime, cleanable filters that were oiled". All was well for a brief time then the failures started rolling in mostly from very dusty environments like yours. Besides these filters are not as good at taking out very fine dust particles.
Probably will not fit now but the factory paper filter is probably better protection for you.
Don't take this lightly, you can lose a set of rings and cylinders quickly, not cheap like VW stuff.
Good luck.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Ok did some research on the off road and 4x4 forums and the consensus is using AEM dry filter is best and the donalson air intake system is even better but is big and bulky and very expensive. And everybody says that the absolutly worst filter for dust is K&N.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 05-09-2013, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Happiest when Tinkering

Got an AEM filter ordered

Old 05-10-2013, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: