Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Happiest when Tinkering

Air Intake location

I would like to get some ideas from the brain trust here. As you that looked know the problem with my car was the air filter getting loaded up with dust in a short period of time. So the problem is 1 a dirt road 2 the air filter being in the back of the car and 3 the car is chocked with dust because of it. So I would like ideas of what I can do to take care of this issue or am I just going to have to suck it up and live with it.

76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 05-07-2013, 02:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Have you got a pic of where the filter is located at present.
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, WEVO Shifter, K27 7200 Turbo, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, Omex 710 ECU, 3.2 Intake, Full Bay Intercooler.....400HP
Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Yeah here it is any ideas would be great.

76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
Old 05-07-2013, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Here's a thought: Perhaps use some sort of furnace filter material cut to fit and installed behind the grill in the lid. I bet that would catch a lot of the dirt and not impede air flow, before the air is drawn into the engine compartment. Also make sure the rubber strips sealing between the engine and frame are in good shape and fitting properly.

Other options would be to pave the road, oil it, move, or sell the car....none of which are good options I would wager.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
maybe one of these will do the trick:

K&N Air Filter Wraps
Old 05-07-2013, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Those easily removable K&N filter wraps look like a good idea... kinda like putting a shop vac bag filter over the K&N cone filter you have. Your air filter looks like it's in a good place.

and,
Like Mark said, seal up all the places dusty air is probably getting in around the engine tin rubber seal and between the rear shock tower cross member and firewall bulkhead.

For the open gap between the shock tower cross member and firewall you can use foam rubber.
Go to home Depot and get a strip of 2"x2" foam rubber made for sealing between partially open windows for home window frame mount air conditioner units.
They're around 3 or 4 feet long and rolled up in a plastic bag. Cut it to length and stuff it into the gap from above or from under the car.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rocket Scientist

No seal around the intercooler, and you are complaining about dust?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Defiantly be worth fitting a filter material to the underside of the grill in the engine lid.
That should really help reduce dust by working as a giant air filter for the engine bay and be easy to try.
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, WEVO Shifter, K27 7200 Turbo, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, Omex 710 ECU, 3.2 Intake, Full Bay Intercooler.....400HP
Old 05-07-2013, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

Yes, then the whole engine can overheat instead.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Dust... where's the dust? That's about a clean engine bay :-)
Old 05-07-2013, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Your comment makes no sense if you don't have a constructive comment go elsewhere please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Squirrel View Post
No seal around the intercooler, and you are complaining about dust?
Old 05-07-2013, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

I have a K&N prefilter on the filter I thought about a filter on the tail but as much as I hate to agree with squirrel I dont want to seal off the engine compartment. As for the seal around the intercooler that would be exactly what I would want to do is put all that dust and dirt through the intercooler to block those air passages it gets dirty enough as it is. I know living on a dirt road is not real good for aircooled motors but there are up sides to this area.

Miguel that picture was taken actually during mock up of the intercooler mountsand the car had not been on the road yet.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Any chance on getting the dirt road oiled?

You might need a Gemballa Carrera GT like intake if the back end is kicking up so much dust that it is sucking it in through the grill.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Squirrel View Post
Yes, then the whole engine can overheat instead.
Always one to think out of the box, I personally would try it. Furnace/AC filters are not very restrictive by design, but you could be right - it may block just enough air flow to cause cooling issues. Can't hurt by trying, watch the engine temp, see if it changes, rip the stuff out if it does.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I'm surprised it gets dirty there. Mine is behind the rear tire and seems to do ok.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Steve sure they would oil the road at my expense and then I would have all my nieghbors *****ing at me for messing up their shiny new SUVs that never see off road, if you get my drift, LOL

Mark you didn't see my filter it was packed I don't want to take a chance of the airflow to the engine and intercooler getting restricted.

Tippy do you drive on dirt roads? I only have a half mile to get to pavement but sometimes the cloud of dust is tremendous.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Besides making sure everything and all dust entry points are sealed up (engine tin, etc) you're probably stuck with changing the pre-filter sock more often. I know what dry dusty roads are all about out here in our semi-arid climate; I can sympathize with you but lucky for me I don't have to deal with them in anything other than my 4x4's.

There's always one more option: Relocate the K&N to inside the cockpit. Just bore a hole through the firewall and back seats, run the plumbing, and you're done!! (ok, you can tell me to crawl back under my rock) :-)
Old 05-07-2013, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Oh Mark no need I have to admit I thought of that too! LOL would give whoever rode in the back seat a cheap thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
There's always one more option: Relocate the K&N to inside the cockpit. Just bore a hole through the firewall and back seats, run the plumbing, and you're done!! (ok, you can tell me to crawl back under my rock) :-)
Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I would keep the filter where it is, and buy that sock they are talking about, or simply clean it ever so often.

I would also keep an eye on the fins on your cylinders, if you have got just the slightest dirt or grime down there, the fins will get clogged as well.

Since this seems to be a new discovery, I would go through the trouble of removing the alt and fan housing to be able to peek in there and see if the dirt in there is proportional to what you saw on the air filter.
If it is, a scheduled cleaning of the cylinders might be a good way to prevent excessive wear especially on your neat boosted engine.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage

Old 05-08-2013, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: