Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Opinions on Von Shocks via E.R.P.

Hello All,

Wanted, your opinions on Von shocks & strut inserts from Elephant Racing Products.

They seem like a good choice for lowered cars, plus the fact that they are available with valving to suit different Torsion bars combinations.

So.......

Mark

Old 05-07-2013, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
have 'em, love 'em. Plus they came with dyno sheets. And were well-tuned for the torsions that I ordered at the same time (23/34). This mod, as well as a proper alignment/corner balance netted some crazy improvements at the track. My previous setup was less track-focused than this one, but still somewhat aggressive.

I just wish the front adjustment was a bit easier to reach, as you have to adjust from the bottom, near the ball joint. The rears are adjustable from the top.

Overall, it's a product that I would recommend based on my experience with them.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If you have the budget, I'd go with Wevo adjustable rears, and Fox Shocks adjustable fronts. The Fox also adjustable spindle heights
Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Did the Fox shocks carry over to Jerry Woods when Smart Racing was taken off-line?

It was a toss-up between the Fox shocks and VON for me, and to be honest, I wasn't aware that Jerry Woods carried almost everything from the old Smart catalog.

Anyway, hard to beat products by either Elephant or Smart/JWE. Great experience dealing with either outfit for parts & advice.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm simply raising my front spindles 40mm, to properly compensate for lowering the car. I also wanted to have shocks/inserts that are valved for my torsion bars selections {23/31}.

NO $ available for the very nice, very pricy, Adj. spindle height Fox set-up. And I'm not going with coil overs.

My sled is purely a street car, so full on race track stuff, looks real cool on paper, but simply is wasted $ on the street {for the most part}.

Mark
Old 05-07-2013, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I have Von shocks in my street/ track car and they are great.
Chuck is a good guy to deal with and the price is fair.
I must say that even for a street only car I would go for 33s in the rear (TBars).
Get the Vons set up for the job or just get a set of Bilsteins revalved.
Good luck.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You'd need to contact JW about the availability of the fox shocks.
The spindle height is going robe based on your whee dia. Being able to adjust the shocks for road conditions to me is a big feature, or if you decide you want to do some twisty driving. After trying multiple re valved set ups on my Porsche powered vw bus, I switched to custom Koni double adjustable shocks on the front, double adjustable Wevo's on the rear. This gets me a fairly plush ride with good handling. While I have no intention of putting coil overs on the turbo, I did switch from re valved S/R shocks to the Wevo's on the rear. Dialing in the shocks to deal with the lousy road conditions gives me a better ride with better grip through the corners. I'm hoping, budget permitting to switch the fronts to adjustable.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for your input guys!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I am actually in the same boat as you Quack, so this is good info.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: