Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
'85 930 alarm control unit location?

No start condition, no power to relay for fuel pump. Would like to bypass alarm control unit but can not locate it. Info and or pics please. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Not that simple. Be very careful messing with the alarm system, it frequently turns into a can of worms difficult to sort out, unless it is the OEM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

there are other things involved in the FP's running besides the alarm. first, what does the alarm disable. most disable the start signal to the starter. idont know about these cars.

no power to FP relay.
is that terminal 30 or is it the signal that energizes the relay?

here is what i have typed up for the 86 circuit. might give you some ideas for your car.

look at the fuel circuit as 2 seperate circuits. one is the 2 FP relays, the yellow relay(contacts), the rev limiter, and

the pressure switch. the other circuit is the yellow relay(coil) and the AFM switch.
the AFM switch removes ground from the yellow relay, de-energizing it when the engine is running.
the FP circuit gets its ground through the contacts of the yellow, then the rev limiter then to the pressure switch.
all the yellow relay is doing is energizing the 2 FP relays. the yellow relay is also (?) what gives the 1-2 sec FP run

before starting.

short description:
the yellow relay is controled or energized by the AFM switch. with the key on and engine off, the AFM energizes the

yellow relay, removing the ground to the 2 FP relays. that ground is of course the boost pressure switch.

the drawing i have for an 86 shows the speed relay or rev limiter side cuts out at 7k, and the other side is for the O2

sensor. it shows it cutting out at 3k.

tim's relay had several broken solder joints. one was on the coil for the FP's. the others where on some of the major pin

joints. some even for the O2 side. so for those that have bad relays' pull them apart and just resolder the points i

mentioned.
you can apply 12v to pin 7 and ground to pin 5 to test the relay. both relays should pull in.
(i actually used a 9v battery)
you can jump pins 1 and 2 on the speed relay to bypass the FP portion of the relay

here is how i would go about TSing this system: based on whats esiest to do first and each step does not fix it.
(if one pump runs and one does not, then the FP or the relay.)

both pumps not running:
i would reach around and pull the connector off the AFM. as soon as the key is ON, no start needed, the FP's should run.
then i would check to see if the boost pressure switch is grounded. with connector off AFM, ground the wire on the boost

switch.
jumper 30 and 87a on yellow relay
jumper pins 1 and 2 on the speed relay
IF 1 and 2 run the pumps, check for 12v to speed relay
if 12v present, speed realy bad. bad solder joints is a problem on this relay.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

...it's under the cowl behind the glovebox. rectangular black plastic box.
last i checked it's also part of the fuel pump relay ground matrix on these cars and they don't last forever.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
Problem probably isn't the alarm, but it can be removed and bypassed by jumping the correct terminals at the harness connector.
Unfortunately I don't have a clear wiring diagram for your model, but the '86 930 and '88 911 diagrams below indicate which terminals are jumped on cars without this option (533).
Someone with a clear WD for your car might be able to read which terminals to jump (as in the pic of Carrera below).
BTW, the alarm is behind the fresh air blower and NOT fun to get at. Check everything else first.

Your fuel pump wiring should look something like this for an '85 930.
Check the last post in the "My car doesn't start" sticky thread at top of the page for how to bypass these components to check if they are the problem.

Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Not getting power on terminal 85 of fuel pump relay. Is it 12v or a ground?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

look at the diagram above. 85 is ground

12v goes to pin86 of the 2 FP relays. if you pull the relays out, you will not have power on 85 but you will on 86.

here is a neat trick.
with the key off and both relays out, connect one lead to 12v and the other to pin 85. you should measure 12v. if not, then the yellow relay could be bad, the pressure switch bad or a wiring problem.
(i prefer test lights. connect the cliip to 12v and probe pin 85. test lights are easier to use and they provide a load for the circuit. you can measure 12v but have too much resistance to operate the relays.)

you should also hasve power on pin 30.

this is presuming the drawiing is correct.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 05-08-2013, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
solution found

The over boost pressure switch, it failed. It was not grounded. After checking continuity on almost every circuit. I'll add this to one of the first things to check for a no start on a 930. Thanks for all the help and information!

Last edited by Ira; 05-13-2013 at 01:02 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Bringing this thread back ---

I have a .04 amp draw on fuse #5, which includes fan for oil cooler, warning light, and central locking

Does anyone know if central locking also including the alarm system?
If not, is the alarm system fused at all? If not fuse #5 does anyone know where the alarm system does tap into the battery or fuse box?

I also had a .04A draw on fuse #4, and found it to be due to driver side door switch. Of course I immediately lost the wire in behind the door jamb as soon as I disconnected it. Time to go fishing

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 10-05-2018, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: