Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Miguel is right on on this one...Make sure that spare works and make sure the electric pump and your cigarette lighter works, too, to power it. Tire changing tools?

Old 05-09-2013, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Mick,

Definitely keep us up to speed when you are in Orange County with your car, or here visiting, Cars and Coffee is Saturday mornings from about 6.00 AM to latest 9.00 AM in Irvine at the Taco Bell Headquarters, formerly Ford Motor Company, Sales and Marketing Headquarters.

Also if you are here in June, it would be worth going to Cars and Coffee and then on to the Steve Mcqueen Car show on June 1st at the Boys Republic in Chino Hills, always an excellent Porsche representation of cars from PreA 356s right up to the last air cooled cars of 1998.

Steve McQueen Car Show - June 01, 2013

a couple pics of previous years shows:

Mcqueen's 930:

Keep us up to speed when you're out in your 930 with the wife and kids, maybe I ll have to do a quick early fall trip to Vegas as well in my '79, as mentioned traffic is horrible Friday nights east and terrible Sunday afternoons west on the 15 Freeway, so depending what days you travel out that way, may put me out of the running, depending on work, but it would be fun, to caravan out to the Strip!

Ben
Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
mcguff73

Garage
I just made that trip in a supercharged mustang. Left LA area on Friday morning and made it in about 3 hours 45 minutes@21 mpg. Came home on Sunday afternoon and it took SIX hours@16 mpg. One major accident in the middle of that wasteland will have you in first gear for miles. As its already been said, avoid Friday evening heading East and Sunday afternoon heading West. With a 930 you will need a co-pilot to watch the temp gauge while you watch all the Vegas traffic trying to cut you off.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Aussie Carrera 3.0

Miguel - great work on the Spare!
As it happens I had to put the spare on the C3 a while back and when it was inflated, the walls were cracked. I put it on anyway and stuck to 50 as per the tyre instructions.
Amazingly it stayed up.
Don't want to be trying that out in the middle of nowhere Miguel lol

and Geoff - great work on the bits that make it work!
When I warm the car up I exercise all the switches, knobs, lights etc and did the Cig Lighter a couple of times as well so I know it works.
However, I haven't checked the inflation device. Great advice

Mcguff73- that's great info re actual drive times and fuel consumption.
Looks like the TT brakes will get some use around Vegas dodging people
This trip is getting more adventurous with each post. Awesome!!!

Ben- Caravan sounds awesome. That would be super cool
The goal will be to stay away from traffic.
Apart from visiting the previous owner, who still has a Turbo Cab BTW, we've just
done ten years of marriage so plan on getting married again, this time by
Elvis.
I hit her up for a drive thru one in the Pcar but I hit my limit there.
I'm thinking we do it anyway.
Will keep you posted re my schedule. Currently it's very loose as to when.

Will do re cars n coffee.
Those pics are great.
I'm loving the Rothmans offroader!!!
I showed my wife the pics you posted and when she saw it
she said "ooh what's that?"
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's code for "Buy One now!"

It's one of my goals in life to at least drive one in it's natural habitat.
My brother and I used to Rally Bash / Hill Climb Mum's Mitsubishi Colt (1.2l FWD
4 dr hatch) up a sand track near home when we we're kids.
My brother went without me one day (what the!?!?) and delivered the car back
home with a broken rear axle. He Didn't tell her so when she went to drive off, it
wouldn't move. When queried, he said "it must have been stolen and they
returned it that way" Lol.
Now, Mum's pretty naive but even that was a bit much for her.
Dad was all over him like a rash.

I digress...

The car needs new tyres as it is, due to age.
I'll get the spare done at the same time.
I'm 90% sure they are P Zero's right now. See pic below
It'll be a road trip car for a while
The next road trip is to do the Cali coastal drive up to San Fran. and back
Probably next year
Any advice there re replacements for road trip travelling seeing as I could put anything on???
I zoomed in on the tyre but can only see the size

Keep it coming folks
Much appreciated.
The title of the List is "Vegas Road Trip Gotcha's" which I'll post for interest on completion.

77 Carrera 3.0
85 Turbo 3.5
Old 05-09-2013, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Aussie Carrera 3.0

Can't quite see clearly in the posted pic
The tyres on the front are 255/35 ZR 18 94Y

77 Carrera 3.0
85 Turbo 3.5
Old 05-09-2013, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmonk View Post
Hey Jesper.
Yeah I'm totally hooked on the turbo.
The 77 is Guards Red and stock too.
The boys keep asking when we are going to see the "Big Brother" to the 77 which is what the road trip is all about.
It really is the big brother as in the origins of the 930/02 is very basically a NA 70's turbo block.

I've had my '77 for a while now and am never going to sell it.
From the reading I've done, it's down on HP to the 73RS but equal on torque.
It has a nice pick up at 4200RPM, yet super docile below 3000.
The cars are also light at around 1150kg stock but it sounds like you will lighten it.
etcetera
Bottom line is that this was Porsche's go at a bullet proof car and the precursor to the SC which was down on power to the 76/77 Carrera

Research Carrera 3.0 on the net for lots of info on dedicated sites.
One issue is the ignition in the sub 3000rpm range. Basically running around town.
It feels like it misses / runs rough
This is an inherent problem so don't be chasing this as particular to your car.
However, If you solve it you will make me and a bunch of other people very happy!!!
It's not a huge problem if you drive the car through the rev range upto 5000 however that can be difficult around town and expensive re speeding tickets.
Or you could test yourself and the car and see if you can outrun them. Lol
I've taken on a modern 5.0l V8 ute and he barely kept up and backed off b4 I did.
But I digress...
Regardless, You are going to have a blast mate
Maybe it is just because I don't remember, but I actually think my Carrera 3.0 was all round awesome to drive, also in the city. I bought it almost exactly 10 years ago, but haven't driven it for about 5.5 years, so my memory may just remember what it wants, and not how it actually was.

Let me know, if you get that far north before turning inland on your road trip.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 05-09-2013, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Because my rear tires don't last more than about 10K or so, I get the cheapest Kumho's or Hankooks available with Z ratings. Why pay the big bucks for the best tires when they don't last any longer? The fronts last forever, but I match the backs...
Old 05-09-2013, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Hi Zenmonk.
I've done a bunch of +1000 mile trips w/o incident.
Always took a couple of quarts of oil with me. My car liked a quart every 1000 miles or so.
Filled w gas every 300 miles approx which also happened to be my bladder limit. Your boys miles per bladder capacity limit may vary.
Great advice already given about spare and inflator.
Have a blast!
These are trips your boys will recall fondly and forever.
Regards,
Matt
"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us." Charles Bukowski
Old 05-09-2013, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Aussie Carrera 3.0

Jesper- will do, thanks very much
I'd stick with the happy memories, otherwise it turns into a head ache.
Maybe it's not all cars, maybe it's later model, later production line cars???
My VIN is 9117600551 Eng 6676703 built NOV 01,1976
I did a bit of research after I got my car back from a complete running gear rebuild and it was still doing it's thing. There were others with the same problem.
We tried various things, even putting a spring form a Mitsubishi car in to change things up.
But no go.
I only really notice it at around 2700 RPM when I go through sub 3000 rpm gear changes it becomes quite violent. Ie jerky.
Otherwise the engine goes from purring to growling to singing to flat out screaming without a hitch
When it does all those things in one hit you don't notice a thing
I think The engine is very revvy and likes being revved

77 Carrera 3.0
85 Turbo 3.5

Last edited by zenmonk; 05-09-2013 at 08:29 PM..
Old 05-09-2013, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Aussie Carrera 3.0

Geoff ur hilarious.
Funny but also good advice.
Seeing as it's mostly straight line stuff and I'm Not planning on doing a continuous burnout from LA to Vegas, I guess I'm looking for a bit of an all rounder

77 Carrera 3.0
85 Turbo 3.5
Old 05-09-2013, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Aussie Carrera 3.0

Hey Matt. Great call on extra oil. Will do.
Also reminds me to include a funnel.
The neck on the fill point / dip stick is always just too short to pour straight into
I manage to make an real mess without one. Maybe I should try carrying less than 1 gal lots
(I was carrying oil with me before the engine rebuild in the C3)
ie small containers with longer necks or maybe I'm a bit challenged.
Thanks very much

77 Carrera 3.0
85 Turbo 3.5

Last edited by zenmonk; 05-09-2013 at 04:50 PM..
Old 05-09-2013, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

done at least 20 500 mile trips, 15-20 1000 mile trips, two 2500 mile trips (SC>NewOrleans>BatonR>SC and SC>Ohio>SC), and one 3500 (SC>Maine>Vermont>SC) mile trip. I just got in and drove it each time. Spare CD, quart of oil, a few relay's and just go. I've had the car in over 20 Staes, every state on the east coast. Just drive it, and when something breaks you just deal with it. Only problem I've ever had in almost 100K miles of driving it was 2 miles from the house when the CD died. Other than that car has been dead reliable. These cars are hands down bullet proof.

Last edited by timc; 05-09-2013 at 06:12 PM..
Old 05-09-2013, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Aussie Carrera 3.0

Hey timc
That's lots of driving and great advice. Ie get in and drive.
If it were my C3 I would do exactly that, mainly because I know the car. Nice to know that the Turbo is as bullet proof as my NA car.
Copy on relays and CD
Thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Aussie Carrera 3.0

Started a new thread
Title - Road Trip Planning for P Car
Did this to have a short list for quick reference
Handy for those not familiar with running air cooled cars over long distances

If you want to add more then I suggest it is done using this thread and the info can be transferred to the short list on the new thread

Thanks very much to those who have contributed.
Very much appreciated.

77 Carrera 3.0
85 Turbo 3.5
Old 05-10-2013, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Prrrrreeeetttttycool!

Old 05-10-2013, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: