Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Aussie Carrera 3.0

Road Trip

G'day.
Wondering if I could get some advice about running a modded Turbo from LA to Vegas and back in Late Sept/Oct.
I've got experience running a 930/02 NA in Australian summers for 15 years. Ie no problems.
I'm going to have my wife and two kids with me so don't want to screw it up half way there by doing the wrong thing.

Any special Prep items beyond a service?
Any major do's/don'ts ?
Any advice if the daily temp happens to be unseasonaly high?

Thanks very much in advance.

Attaching pics of last service and build sheet.

77 Carrera 3.0
85 Turbo 3.5
Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Should need nothing but patience with the kids sitting on the back - are we there yet?

Based on that document you're ready to go; mainly considering the shop and date of the mods/inspection.

Good luck and enjoy it!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sounds like your ready......wait we see receipts but no pics of the car...bad forum etiquette....let's see some pics of the chariot....
Old 05-08-2013, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Aussie Carrera 3.0

Absolutely, bad etiquette. Sorry about that.
Multi tasking went badly. No pics and late for school pickup as well.
Here are some pics.

77 Carrera 3.0
85 Turbo 3.5
Old 05-08-2013, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Aussie Carrera 3.0

All righty then. That's very encouraging.
Thanks for the comments.
I was expecting more grief than none at all with the car lol
I have been told to avoid idling in traffic on a hot day so plan on staying on/near the strip so we can walk.

Grief management of the boys = a "yes, we are there" answer for each time I am asked and threats of abandonment in the desert with a small chance of a lift on the way home.

Any other advice from those with experience in this sort of operation would be much appreciated.

77 Carrera 3.0
85 Turbo 3.5
Old 05-08-2013, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Absolutely gorgeous car, WOW

Let me know if you go through the Monterey area, I'll be moving there this summer.

I got a 930/02 I am resurrecting, fun car.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 05-08-2013, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

That car was here in Vegas for a while. I remember the centerlocks...
55 Belair
40 Ford pickup
Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Nice ride. I'd think you'd be good to go - LA to LV is only what, 3-4 hrs? Car looks to be dialed in ready to fly. I'm planning to take mine from Denver to LV (850 miles) and back in early/mid October....
Denver, CO
Old 05-08-2013, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Aussie Carrera 3.0

Hey Jesper.
Yeah I'm totally hooked on the turbo.
The 77 is Guards Red and stock too.
The boys keep asking when we are going to see the "Big Brother" to the 77 which is what the road trip is all about.
It really is the big brother as in the origins of the 930/02 is very basically a NA 70's turbo block.

I've had my '77 for a while now and am never going to sell it.
From the reading I've done, it's down on HP to the 73RS but equal on torque.
It has a nice pick up at 4200RPM, yet super docile below 3000.
The cars are also light at around 1150kg stock but it sounds like you will lighten it.
etcetera
Bottom line is that this was Porsche's go at a bullet proof car and the precursor to the SC which was down on power to the 76/77 Carrera

Research Carrera 3.0 on the net for lots of info on dedicated sites.
One issue is the ignition in the sub 3000rpm range. Basically running around town.
It feels like it misses / runs rough
This is an inherent problem so don't be chasing this as particular to your car.
However, If you solve it you will make me and a bunch of other people very happy!!!
It's not a huge problem if you drive the car through the rev range upto 5000 however that can be difficult around town and expensive re speeding tickets.
Or you could test yourself and the car and see if you can outrun them. Lol
I've taken on a modern 5.0l V8 ute and he barely kept up and backed off b4 I did.
But I digress...
Regardless, You are going to have a blast mate

77 Carrera 3.0
85 Turbo 3.5
Old 05-08-2013, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Aussie Carrera 3.0

Hey rsrfan
Yes you are right.
Part of the reason we are going back actually.
It's in Newport, OC at the moment, about 10miles from where the ANDIAL shop was as luck would have it, and I'm taking the car and the family across to Vegas as a bit of a holiday and to say hi to the previous owner so he knows it has gone to a good home. It's a one owner car apart from myself.

77 Carrera 3.0
85 Turbo 3.5
Old 05-08-2013, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Aussie Carrera 3.0

Hey Turbo Ride

Yes about 3-4 hours.
Google OC to LAS is 270 miles
Depends on LA traffic I guess.
Still working that bit out to avoid it

Your trip is 3 times as long
Sounds awesome

77 Carrera 3.0
85 Turbo 3.5
Old 05-08-2013, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Dont even think of driving to Vegas on Friday, nor back to the OC on Sunday. I commute between Vegas and Carlsbad weekly (drive it) and have been doing so for 8 years. The traffic to and from Vegas Fridays and Sundays will have you parked on the freeway for hours. The weather in early October in Vegas will be nice (80s to 90s high) and you should not have a problem. There is a great aircooled shop (Series 900 Motorsports - formerly Carls Place) that can help out if you have any issues. Its an easy drive. I've done it 800 times or so, just not in the 930...
55 Belair
40 Ford pickup
Old 05-08-2013, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Aussie Carrera 3.0

That's really really good info re traffic JP. thanks a lot
800 times, OMG.

As it happens, I saved a pics of your car to my iPad a while back from the "show your turbo" thread
I recognise it from next to your name.
Super cool rig.
I've had a crush on an RSR for a while now. They tell me patience is a virtue...

As it happens, Carl's place is the shop that maintained the car so I plan on going by there also...

77 Carrera 3.0
85 Turbo 3.5
Old 05-08-2013, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Expect to be shocked at your fuel consumption. If you get over 14 MPG consider your self lucky and do not be surprised if you are a round 12 or worse depending on how you drive. I joke with my wife all the time telling her the gas gauge broke again and it will take another $70 to fix it at the next stop.
Your car will only cool well moving with out a fan on the front cooler so yeah watch temps in traffic.
Other than that have fun.
I love road trips in my car.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

That's what I'm talking about....sweet car....in my favorite color!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmonk View Post
800 times, OMG.
Seemed like a good dea at the time...
My daughters are in San Diego and I have three bakeries there with more on the way so it has been worth it. I will be in Carlsbad full time by the end of the year so at least an end is in sight.

I should have the turbo back from TurboKraft in the next couple of weeks and will be keeping it in Socal so hopefully we can meet up at Cars n Coffee sometime..

Beautiful car. You got a great one...
55 Belair
40 Ford pickup
Old 05-08-2013, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Prrrreeeeetttttycool looking car!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

For their sake, I hope your kids are young...Bring pillows, DVD player and a blanket to share for them?

Your car is going to be fairly loaded. As such, you may want to make sure you don't have tire rub while fully loaded prior to your travel day. As far as engine/oil temp on such a drive, I made the summer desert trip between Tucson and San Diego many, many times with no problems. And my 930 could make the 440 mile trip without having to stop for gas...Doing so without breaking my bladder was another story, though...lol

Does the car have a fan on the oil cooler in the right front fender? If not, you may want to install one for your future peace of mind. With that added to my car, stop and go traffic during the summer months wasn't too big of a deal.

Beautiful car, btw!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Aussie Carrera 3.0

Thanks very much folks
Taking notes now...

Ficke- thanks
Copy on fan for front oil cooler in Hot weather and standing still
Copy on the fuel consumption.
Will now research and plan my stops accordingly.
Also take a bit extra in a can in case.

JP- cars n coffee sounds good. What is the schedule for June?
It may be a bit hit and miss as to lining up my schedule with the day it's on but will give you a
holla if it works out. I haven't been to one yet but have heard great things

Geoff- Thanks
Yes boys are young, Jack 9 & Rex 7.
They get a ride to school in the '77 at least once a week so familiar surroundings and the
right size.
Definitely getting a DVD player!!!
Again with the fan so will definitely be getting this done.

Getting a great list of info together thanks to all.
Anymore would be welcome

77 Carrera 3.0
85 Turbo 3.5
Old 05-09-2013, 12:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

BTW, check the spare tire condition... if it is the OEM, it's probably cooked after being there for 35+ years.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: