Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Turbo oil feed check valve

See that I have no check valve function for the turbo oil line.
Bought a 9mm steel ball.

Should I install the ball or not?
Running a Garret Gt35R turbocharger.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
No no noooooo!

That is not the correct factory fitting on your elbow to be compatible with a ball. It appears that it will act as a check valve stopping oil from going TO your turbo.

Here is the factory fitting which has a slot across the end to allow oil to flow around the ball onwards to your turbo.

In your case leave the ball out.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Darn, I thought the ball was to prevent backflow after the engine shut off, and that the oil pressure, with the engine running, just lifted the ball up to allow flow. I even heard on Pelican mention about a spring that was used.

Which is it??
Old 05-12-2013, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

mine...

has a spring. I'm using a GT35R. I cant remember if it came with the turbo oil line or not. Phillip
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LM-2/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin COP/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. MS3Pro Evo 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 05-12-2013, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Jim.

I thought to slice a slot across the bottom of the elbow to prevent what you say.
Then it will never get stuck as you mention

Thanks for sharing the image
1986 944 Turbo
Old 05-12-2013, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by totle View Post
Hi Jim.

I thought to slice a slot across the bottom of the elbow to prevent what you say.
Then it will never get stuck as you mention

Thanks for sharing the image
Do not only slice a little, make it as big as stock. Remember, when oil is under pressure, the ball will be liftet and pushed against the fitting. The oil has to flow beside the ball into the slot. If slot is too small, it will act as a restrictor

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 05-12-2013, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Roland, Will make sure of that
1986 944 Turbo
Old 05-12-2013, 11:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
Darn, I thought the ball was to prevent backflow after the engine shut off, and that the oil pressure, with the engine running, just lifted the ball up to allow flow. I even heard on Pelican mention about a spring that was used.

Which is it??
What you describe is how the stock system works (although the spring is an aftermarket modification), but the original poster is asking about a non-stock setup that he has . . .
Old 05-13-2013, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The spring and modified hollow bolt is something we came up with at TurboKraft for problem 930s that smoke on startup, beyond the typical 911 startup puff of smoke. Quick bolt-in replacement, very effective.

Trond -- just get the correct factory hollow bolt and be done with it.
And if you want a complete oil line assembly for our GT35R, we have those in stock: hollow bolt with check valve, banjo fitting, oil line, GTR turbo restrictor.
TurboKraft Inc : Turbocharger Oil Feed Line Set : Garrett [930 CVS GTR TK] - $168.00
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft

Last edited by TurboKraft; 05-14-2013 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 05-14-2013, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Chris,
So your concept was to act as a check valve to shut off oil flow after the engine shut down... just for my own understanding.
As Ronnie states, the OP has a non-stock setup, which I don't understand the difference in concept.

HOWEVER, while the ball-valve subject is being aired, is this setup needed or useful with the old boat anchor 3LDZ turbo (float bearings, aka shell or flat bearings)?
Thanks.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Nevermind my previous post from a few minutes ago. I went to TurboKraft website and saw the answer for 3LDZ (TurboKraft Inc : Turbocharger Oil Feed Line Set : 3K-Warner [930 CVS BWK TK] - $205.00 ).
Old 05-15-2013, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
HOWEVER, while the ball-valve subject is being aired, is this setup needed or useful with the old boat anchor 3LDZ turbo (float bearings, aka shell or flat bearings)?
Thanks.
Yes, we have found it useful on 3LDZ and K27 equipped 911 Turbos as some will have a huge puff of smoke on startup. If we remove the drain canister, start and immediately stop the engine, and inspect the oil flow out the turbo drain, it just goes on and on and on dripping oil.

We initially tried this in 2 cars in the shop, a tired ex-Ruf BTR with a K29 and a newly built one with a GT35R, both with a huge puff of oil smoke at startup. New check valves at the oil source, problem gone.

That was 5 years ago, both cars still going strong on their same turbos, confirming there's no risk to the turbo.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 05-15-2013, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Yes, we have found it useful on 3LDZ and K27 equipped 911 Turbos as some will have a huge puff of smoke on startup.
Yep, Chris. Thanks. You do good work.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: