Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Driving In the Rain

Many P cars advertised for sale are supposedly never driven in the rain. Even 20/30 years old.

What is so important about avoiding some rain? It is just water. You hardly see other brands sellers being so careful about the rain. I was on the nice trip Saturday in my new (for me) 1978 930 and was caught in the rain on the way back. To tell the truth the whole car seemed to perform even better, the engine smoother then ever. I was a little more careful with the gas pedal but the new tires (BFG G-force) held admirably.

The car dried nicely in the garage and looks as good as before, did not even get dirty.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
There are whole threads on F-chat about how to wash a car without using water.

Yeah, I'm one of those disbelievers about having a car 2 or 3 decades old that is claimed to have never touched water from the sky. I can understand the desire to avoid things like rust (a buddy with an '84 that's lived its entire life in LA had some surface rust beneath the trim on a doorsill), but that's a bit ridiculous.

Last edited by Noah930; 05-13-2013 at 08:54 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

While on vacation, my 930 was supposed to be covered & wasn't, I saw that it developed the magnesium corrosion as well as light aluminum corrosion on the intercooler from being left out. Good thing nothing is polished! I was less than happy!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
When I was a kid, someone in my neighborhood had one of those new '89 911 Speedsters. The car got parked outside (top down!) and the owner must have been away for the weekend. It just so happened that the skies absolutely poured. (Who would have thought, in always-sunny LA?) I imagine he was not happy when he came back from his trip.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
@ 3 digits

Opinions vary on this topic, I guess that if you are a collector it would be great to keep it away from the rain and such and then some. In the real world though it is another story. Life is way too short and this cars are designed to be driven, the more the better.....There are only a couple of things or activities that can even come close to the feeling of driving a fast Porsche in the rain, specially when it just rained and stopped but everything still is very wet, everybody can drive in the dry but to master pushing the envelope in the rain is simply exhilarating ! So I will keep looking for those rainy days to go out and drive it like I've stole it......LOL
Old 05-14-2013, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rain is just water but once it hits the road and turns to spray it is filthy. Some areas of a car can't be properly cleaned without dis-assembly after the car has been driven in the rain. Some people would rather avoid that.

It doesn't bother me.

Wet 930 by willtel, on Flickr

Last edited by willtel; 05-14-2013 at 07:34 AM..
Old 05-14-2013, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I think the taboo originated back in the day before galvanized steel and the high tech paint process we have now. Rain (water) when combined with salt and high speeds (anything over 40mph) equals rust.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Well I guess I'm screwed...I've been driving mine every day, as my daily driver for 5 years now...in Seattle. So my car must now be worth nothing, and a complete rust bucket to boot.

Seriously? I have no signs of any rust, anywhere...yeh the door jams get dirty, yeh the wheel wells & suspension get dirty..BFD.

Just drive Forest, drive! There is just no better way to really learn how to push these cars on the street, unless you play hard in the rain...IMHO....whoohoow!

Mark
Old 05-14-2013, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
beancounter

You read it here first folks...I drove mine in the snow (once). A few years ago I was out for a romp in January and it snowed. So sue me!

For most people, these cars are weekend drivers. I certainly don't reach for the keys to 930 when its pouring rain and think "its a great day for a drive" Nor do I check the radar to insure there is no precip in a 300mi radius before taking her out of the garage. Fact is, if you own one of these to drive it (rather than "collect" it), you're going to get caught in the rain (or snow) at some point.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

It really depends on how you look at it.

A garage queen owner basically doesn't like rain because he/she knows what it takes to "really clean a car" for the next concours or auction... ask me how I know...

Also, years ago - before 1976, P-cars were not all galvanized so rain/moisture would eat them up mainly on humid areas.

Now, IMO, rain is coming from clouds, that form from water vapor, that comes from water evaporation, that comes from big bodies of water, big bodies of water are ocean/seas/gulfs... and all of those are "salt water" to certain degree; so, could salt be the issue about rain water - not just H2O but some kind of ClNaHO? Same salt used on the roads during the winters up north...

I would avoid driving my 930 on a salty road. My2c.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
how about rain... and dirt roads (oh the HOORor!!!)?

8-)

Orrrrr... rained out grassy show fields, maybe? Bring it:

Only issue I have w/ rain right now personally is my windshield seal is somewhat shrunk atop the two corners which allows nominal moisture down into the lower A-pillar... an already rust-prone-zone. Sucks. I gotta get on that.

Other issue I had but is now rectified was hydroplaning over 80 on CUM HO rear slicks... driving pretty baulsout in caravan to Mt. Washington Climb to Clouds in a deluge for 4hrs kindasorta blew hugh jazz! Fresh CUM HO's on thar now tho!

From said event - when you can't drive thru the rain drive above it!:

Dude! Where's mah car!??:

Agreed that the car somehow seems to run smoother / better in the rain - dunno why, or how to quantify 'that' tho 8-/.

Good show on the snow Jakester... I had to get the 993 up my 110' snow covered and inclined driveway and into ze garage this winter, donning rear slicks (duh?)... unfun!

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
In addition to my first post about driving in the rain, I too have driven in the snow on several occasions.

However, since I have exactly 2" of ground clearance at my front valance's rubber lip, all I really am is a snow plow. And yes it really, really sucks pushing snow with your $450 front rubber valance lip!!!

Mark
Old 05-14-2013, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I am one of those that avoid the rain.

My GT3 RS will NOT see rain. Cleaning is the main issue - the other is that I am using Michelin Sport Cup tires - no wet condition for those - might as well drive on ice.

The 930 has been completely renovated from tub up. Too much new and refurbished parts to get gritty on the under side. Would have to disassemble alot of parts just to clean it and get it back to what it is now.

However - I did trade my M5 for a 2013 C2S as my daily driver. It has already seen rain and it will see snow. So there is my rain driving contribution
08 GT3 RS (white/black) (modified of course)
67 911S
Old 05-14-2013, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

My 930 saw rain once (well, maybe once or twice or so). I'll never admit to that, it will surely be a rust bucket any day now. That's the nice thing about living in a desert, I can make all sorts of no-rain claims to boost my resale value.

There's a video out there somewhere that details the entire build process at the Porsche factory. Fascinating watch. These cars get an undercoating that you wouldn't believe. Ya think maybe it rains or snows in the Mother Country???

So you gotta clean it a bit more meticulously after a shower. Whatever. Rain is rain, unless it's splashed up from the road in winter with salt etc. NaCl2H2O de-icer...or living on the ocean coast....would be my only real concerns.

Mark & Paul, you guys are screwed :-) Though I do recall driving my old '72 Targa in a SE Idaho blizzard home one afternoon (and having to get pulled out of the ditch), and driving the same car on a 5 day cross country move to Chicago land in January. That is a long snowy wet icy scary never-again-in-my-right-mind trip.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
@ 3 digits

Rain and Snow too.....woooooooweeeeeee !

Old 05-14-2013, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Agreed that the car somehow seems to run smoother / better in the rain
The air is colder, thus denser. They run really well with ambient temperatures in the 30's, too...

When it's raining, you basically get automatic water injection as a free bonus too.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayporsche View Post
Rain and Snow too.....woooooooweeeeeee !

That's a prrrrreeeeettttycool shot, mainly with the Florida tag.

What's that roundy thing on the middle of the tail?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I've done the snow thing too. It was strictly for a photo op but I was really surprised at how much traction the ole girl had on old summer tires, it was planted unless you pushed it in a corner then watch out! I spun it a few times but it was a blast.

930 Snow Launch by willtel, on Flickr

snow2 088 by willtel, on Flickr
Old 05-15-2013, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
@ 3 digits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
That's a prrrrreeeeettttycool shot, mainly with the Florida tag.

What's that roundy thing on the middle of the tail?

Thank you sir. We lived in Dallas for a long while and none of my vehicles ever passed emissions and such so I refused to ever get them registered there, always kept the house in Miami sooooooooooooo................................

The roundy thingy on the middle of the tail is a rear-view cam.....
Old 05-20-2013, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
They installed wipers at the factory, so I infer that they planned for their cars to be driven in the rain. I could be wrong.

-e.

"...the secret to Porsche: we do things others cannot"
Old 05-20-2013, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: