Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil Line Question

This is my first 930 (1978) and, because it is highly modified, it represents a challenging puzzle for me and solving it moves very slowly. i have plenty of books and shop manual and owner's manual plus the biggest help: this forum.

Still, because of esoteric (for me) mods, I barely know half of the things names and functions.

There is, aftermarket of course, oil cooler line going forward on the starboard side. Just past the thermostat and in front of the rear wheel one of the lines has an air valve which is exactly the same like you find on your tires.

What is the function of this valve? If I were forced to answer myself I would say it might be useful when you want to get rid of the oil remaining in the lines and the cooler and would apply some compressed air there during the oil change. But I might be tragically wrong and would like to avoid any stupid mistake.

If I guessed the proper function of this valve then what air pressure should I apply?

Thanks, John

Old 05-14-2013, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Just for clarification purposes...exactly home many lines do you presently have, going forward down the rocker panel ahead of the thermostat?

Should be only 2 for the front oil cooler, no matter if it is stock or modified.

Having a Schrader valve on a line, smells like an A/C line. My car had a huge aftermarket belly pan condenser on it when I bought the car, and it had weird lines going to & from it, so....?

Mark
Old 05-14-2013, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thank you for answering.
I have two oil lines going forward and the valve is on one of them. It is positively 100% oil line.

About AC the answer is easy: my AC is completely removed, all lines, condensers, console with controls - in a word the whole AC with all ancillary equipment gone (good riddance to it).

So, again; what might be the use for this valve?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
It is like you described. air is fed in their during an oil change to drain the oil from the front cooler and lines. I have seen this kit offered somewhere maybe elephant racing?.

I can imagine its potentially messy and makes an ol change more complex being that you need to break the return oil line somewhere to catch it in the oil pan....is there a fitting installed to allow it to drain on the return line to the t-stat?

Depends upon how anal you get during an oil change whether you use this or not.

Maybe post a picture for us to look at?

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 05-15-2013, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

maybe its for bleeding air out of the lines if they are serviced?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I hope these pictures come up.
So what is this valve?

Old 05-15-2013, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
These are after market oil lines made by 'Elephant Racing' ( goggle it) the Schroeder valve is Elephant racing idea to purge the oil line with compressed air when changing the oil for a more complete oil change.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The "finned" lines accumulate debris/particles within the "low valleis" and compressed air/oil would clean them out also to pressure test the system after reassembly.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thank you.
I've contacted Elephant and they advised to apply up to 90 psi before oil change and after the thermostat closes ( few minutes is enough) and I would actually hear how the oil flows to the oil tank for a more complete change.
Neat.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: