Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smokin...1986 930

So I have read a couple of posts and smoke on start-up is a common problem and can be related to a few different issues. I have this problem but with a twist; I will have a nice puff of smoke on start-up...unless I let the engine run on for about 30 seconds after putting the car in neutral. If I do this then the next time I start the car no smoke..... I had a top end done recently (which adds to the frustration of finding this issue shortly after!) so would hope that worn valve seats, guides etc are not the issue; supported by the fact that I can stop the issue by letting the engine run after putting the trans in neutral. So I hoping that someone here with greater technical nonse than me can shed some light....

Cheers in advance for any suggestions.....

Rob

Last edited by sidney67; 05-25-2013 at 07:31 PM..
Old 05-25-2013, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I always let my car idle for at least a minute before shutting down to give the oil time to cool down. I don't know if this is the reason but in the two years I've had my car it has never puffed smoke on start up.

My car has about 82k (12k by me)on it and there's no indication in the fairly extensive records I have on the car that it's ever had any major engine work done to it.
11 IS250C
88 Targa - sold
Old 05-26-2013, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Garage Queen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matsuzaka View Post
I always let my car idle for at least a minute before shutting down to give the oil time to cool down. I don't know if this is the reason but in the two years I've had my car it has never puffed smoke on start up.
+1. Letting it idle for a minute makes all the difference.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Cheers for the feedback; my mechanic was the one who suggested I run on for 30 seconds; said it was something that you just have to do with a 930......however I suspect that it still means something is wrong somewhere

Another poster mentioned seals on the turbo which makes sense; so just curious if anyone has had this problem and seen it disappear after fixing the turbo?

Rob
Old 05-26-2013, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I rarely have a cloud of smoke on startup, and I too let the car idle for 30 seconds or so before shutting down. With less oil delivery at idle, it seems that lets the oil drain back down to the crank before you shut her down, vs. pooling on top of the heads only later to drain past the valve guides and coat the top of the pistons. I don't know that to be a fact but seem to remember reading it somewhere.

My turbo is seeing it's age and does let a little oil get past the seals. You can see it in the IC whenever I remove it. That won't cause smoking on startup ordinarily.

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
930 , smoke