Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Clutch pedal to the floor 1987 930

I've had my 87 930 for less than a year and still learning. Headed out for a drive, got on the highway, shifted into third and the clutch pedal dropped to the floor. Coasted to a safe pull off and called AAA for a tow back home. Started looking around assuming the couch cable had snapped. Had a friend help and pulled up on the clutch pedal from inside the car and I pulled on the cable from under the car. By pulling on the cable I could keep the pedal in the upright position but when I let go or hooked it back where it belonged, the pedal dropped back to floor. So not broken clean through. Not sure what the deal was so I went ahead and pulled the cable. Pictures attached. The dust boot on the cable was torn.. The cable looks intact. The clear plastic sheath looks to be broken, could that be it? I tried to show in picture. I will buy a new cable to compare the two. I read a thread on pedal cluster bearing but not sure it fits the problem. Most of those posts are drag and lube related. The bracket were the clutch cable attaches to the pedal cluster does have some play. Is it supposed to be rigid as in no play front to back and follow the clutch pedal? I can hold the bracket where the clutch cable connects and it does have front to back play. Pedal cluster, cable or something else.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Cable picture

Another cable picture showing both ends and breaks in the clear sheath that the plastic wrapped /coated cable slides through.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

The cable looks good in the pictures (the broken/cracked sheath would not cause the problem you describe). If the cable is not broken or stretched beyond belief, and the pedal itself is in good working order, there are a couple of other unpleasant possibilities for the pedal going to the floor - a broken clutch release bearing fork and/or if the car still has the original, rubber centered clutch then it may have come apart (though you would probably have heard quite a bit of noise when it did). If you do a search for both you will find lots of reading.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Just been there
Check the roll pin that holds the clutch pedal on the shaft, it may have sheared off.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewchief View Post
Just been there
Check the roll pin that holds the clutch pedal on the shaft, it may have sheared off.
1+ had this issue too!

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 05-27-2013, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Clutch pedal issue

Ok I will keep digging to narrow down the problem based on your tips so thanks much for the help. I will go ahead and replace the cable since I have it out and keep this one as a backup. I did not hear anything come undone so I hope its the pin pedal shaft. The clutch has been replaced so again I hope its in the pedal. Time to learn something new.

Is there a trick to pulling the cluster out?
If the pin did break, what did you guys do to pull/remove the broken piece and where did you find the replacement pin?

I did read some posts about replacing a plastic washer or spacer with a metal one, will look into that too while I'm in there messing around. Not sure whats what as far as thats concerned, can someone tell by the pictures I posted? 3 previous owners so I'm still learning whats been replaced in the past and whats still original. I did read something in the paperwork that came with the car about a short shift being installed. Not sure as this is my first 930 and nothing to compare it too.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Had a similar problem years ago when I bought my 930. It had been sitting for years without driving, and the grease in the release bearing dried up causing the release bearing to come apart. So I was driving down the road, pushed the clutch pedal in and it remained on the floor.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Try prying the clutch release lever towards the rear of the car. It looks like your omega spring is not in the correct position.
Clutch pedal on floor after cluster rebuild
Old 05-27-2013, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Also possible for the actuating arm on the transmission to split down the splines - so when you press the clutch, it opens up and spins on the shaft. I've also had the bracket on the transmission the cable bolts to simply snap.

Inconvenient - but relatively cheap repairs...
Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete3799 View Post
Try prying the clutch release lever towards the rear of the car. It looks like your omega spring is not in the correct position.
Clutch pedal on floor after cluster rebuild
WOW, good eye! I, too, think the omega spring might be rocked too much in the direction of the trans case centerline. Pics and info in this old thread of mine -

HELP - Omega Spring
Old 05-27-2013, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
930 Pedal Cluster

Thanks guys, I will start with the pedal cluster when I get home tonight.

Looks like 3 bolts and the cluster should come out as a unit. Will also stick some washers or quarters in the spring to keep it expanded before I remove it or later on the bench. Apparently a trick to help put the spring back on.

I read a few more threads talking about rebuild kits and that they are not available for the 87 930 so will be on the hunt for that. Also found an exploded view of the cluster that I will post. Is that the pin, in the lower left of the picture, that some think may have sheered off?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Banned

Yes, that is the pin people are refering to.

Here is a bushing kit (includes the roll pin) that looks like it would work for you -

Porsche 911 912 914 Turbo 930 Bronze Pedal Bushing Kit | eBay
Old 05-28-2013, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Ronnie

Looks like that one is not for the 87 Turbo but the same place did have one to fit that year 930. I will give it a shot. I will let ya know what I find when I get the cluster out of there.

Porsche 911 914 Clutch Brake Pedal Bushing Kit Bronze Bushings | eBay

Old 05-28-2013, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Banned

If you look at the bottom of the application chart (the seller's, not the generic eBay one) in the listing I linked to, it shows "930 78-88". Regardless, the one you posted works as well . . .
Old 05-28-2013, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Ok i think i found the problem but on the way there I looked into the suggestions of what to try. when it came to the position of the omega spring I'm not sure what I've got going on. Not sure the other threads show the stop bracket but mine has one. I can turn the spring by hand and it will turn out slightly and stop against the stop bracket, not sure what its called. The spring swivels out and the clutch adjustment gap opens about a quarter inch. Here are some pictures and I will continue to what I think is the problem as in I now have more problems lol

Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
That last picture is the gap when I turn the omega spring away from the trans case and it hits the stop bracket
Old 05-28-2013, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, on to what I believe is the problem or one of the problems. To those that suggested it was the pin that sheared off off, we have a winner! Let me say that was a bit pain in the but getting that assembly out of there. 101 projects made it sound easy lol. Couch cable I already pulled the pin and disconnected, then pull the clip and disconnect the throttle cable. That damn spring was not fun but I think jamming washers in there while the spring is stretched, did help. I will add a few more before I try to reinstall the little bast&@$. The 2 nuts you have to get that go through the floor are also fun. You need to loosen or drop the skid plate under the front of the car to get to them. That also hold the sway bar? into place. I used a jack stand to keep it in place. There is a support bar that attaches the the assembly to the brake reservoir. You can see it through a little round access hole that will come in handy for reassembly. Disconnect the bar going to the brake pedal and I think that was it. I'm sure next time I will have this procedure figured out. My son asks, hey dad how do you know how to do this stuff, well son I didn't when I started. Ask advise, read a little and jump in. Brake a few expensive parts and you will know next time what not to do. Right now I'm still in the i don't know what I'm doing yet. The story continues... Here are the pictures. Apparently this is not this assemblies first rodeo. I can tell by the painted over pitted metal on the base. I was expecting a pin and found an Allen head bolt and a nut. They were sheared off as the experts that have been down this road before suggested i check. It's goes back to my original post trying to ask if clutch pedal and the arm holding the clutch cable were fixed to each other. Te weirded thing was although loose, I guess it would bind up when I pushed the pedal and tried to hold that arm by hand and it held. Once I got the assembly out of there I was able to get a good grip on it and pushed the clutch pedal and sure enough it spun.

Here are the pictures

Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
One more picture of the brake pedal pin. Is this bent?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Ok sorry that was way long winded. So I ordered the bushing kit this afternoon before I found this issue. I doubt the factory pin that comes with the bronze bushing kit will fit this hole but will give it a try once i get this screw drilled out of there. I'm now looking for a new shaft or the entire assembly if I have to as a plan B.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Totally random in this thread but while I was laying under my car pondering the omega theory, I saw the window I the bell housing. What should I look for in there and what the heck is the blue plastic and should I be concerned?

Old 05-28-2013, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: