Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registerd 930 user nut

Garage
87 930 engine fan and housing

Does anyone know if the engine cooling fan and housing are made from Aluminum or magnesium? I came across it in one of the posts but I can't find it now.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
I'm thinking magnesium IIRC
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 05-27-2013, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Yes, magnesium +1 or go with the Vertex aftermarket for aluminium.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registerd 930 user nut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akila View Post
Yes, magnesium +1 or go with the Vertex aftermarket for aluminum.

OK magnesium. When I had the engine rebuilt this winter they blasted and then washed the fan and housing. Now there starting to have this white powder build up form on the surfaces. It's not happing with the Aluminum parts. Going in for the 1000 mile check up after rebuild and think I'll have him pull the fan and housing and have them properly refinished before they turn completely to powder. Anyone else have this happen to them?
Old 05-27-2013, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

That is what magnesium does. Have it cleaned & then powder coat it color to match. There was a former Pelican that had that stellar 356/930 Outlaw. He had lots of the mag parts polished & when it got wet it would form the powder, hence why most just seal with power coat.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I like the natural look of magnesium or aluminum and don't like it painted.. to each his own.
If you spray it with corrosionx once every 4-6 months and wipe off any excess it stays beautiful and doesn't corrode.

This stuff is made for marine use and boats have alot of aluminum and thats as corrosive an environment there is.
CorrosionX

Last edited by JFairman; 05-27-2013 at 05:10 PM..
Old 05-27-2013, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registerd 930 user nut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
I like the natural look of magnesium or aluminum and don't like it painted.. to each his own.
If you spray it with corrosionx once every 4-6 months and wipe off any excess it stays beautiful and doesn't corrode.

This stuff is made for marine use and boats have alot of aluminum and thats as corrosive an environment there is.
CorrosionX
I'm with you on this one. I like the natural look of the metal as well. I'm guessing I'll need to take the fan and housing apart and have it bead blasted then apply the corrosionx or do I just apply it over what I have now?
Old 05-27-2013, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

No reason to remove anything just sparay it on let it soak about an hour and wipe off excess. It doesn't leave a greasy film and doesn't attract dust.
It dissolves the white powdery corrosion on magnesium and aluminum and makes it disappear. It's really amazing stuff.

I don't know how bad your's is so you might have to rub it a little after it's soaked a little while with a rag or a scotch brite pad if it's really bad.

Here's mine. You can't see much of the intake maniofold but it's a nice natural grey magnesium color. I just spray some corrosionx on a rag and wipe the fan housing, fan, and manifold once in a while to maintain it and that way none gets on the fan belt.
I may clean up the fan blades someday. Like a satin finish thats easy to maintain in place with a some rubbing with a scotch brite pad.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registerd 930 user nut

Garage
Quote:
No reason to remove anything just sparay it on let it soak about an hour and wipe off excess. It doesn't leave a greasy film and doesn't attract dust.
It dissolves the white powdery corrosion on magnesium and aluminum and makes it disappear. It's really amazing stuff.

I don't know how bad your's is so you might have to rub it a little after it's soaked a little while with a rag or a scotch brite pad if it's really bad.

Here's mine. You can't see much of the intake maniofold but it's a nice natural grey magnesium color. I just spray some corrosionx on a rag and wipe the fan housing, fan, and manifold once in a while to maintain it and that way none gets on the fan belt.
I may clean up the fan blades someday. Like a satin finish thats easy to maintain in place with a some rubbing with a scotch brite pad.
OK Good, That will save some time not having to take it apart. As always thanks for the input, you really are a big help. BTW nice looking engine compartment JFairman.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Fairman, loving that polish job on your intercooler!!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Whoa! I love Corrosion X and never thought to use on magnesium. I sprayed my crank and coated the inside of my oil pump with that stuff and no issues of corrosion being in a non-climate controlled environment for 2.5 years.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:

CorrosionX
Thanks! Never even thought of the boat world for products.
Just got some and love it.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Gibbs works even better than CorrosionX on maintaining the original look to bare magnesium. I've used both and Gibbs seems to last longer. IMHO

Old 06-01-2013, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: