Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Anyone running the new PTP turbo blanket for 996?

Has anyone installed the PTP turbo blankets on their 996TT yet?

PTP Turbo Blankets

My buddy is about to order a pair, but was curious how they fit?

I run one on my car, but it is the standard T4 style so fit on it was a no brainer.
Cool that they are stepping into the Porsche specific world!

Old 05-28-2013, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
I am a subscriber that you should keep the turbo(s) as cool as possible to minimize cooking the bearings and reduce the temperature of the heated/compressed intake air. We all know that cooler air is denser and increases turbo performance. If you are concerned about protecting parts and surfaces near the turbo(s) then use heat shields/blankets/etc. on or near the concerned areas and let the air flow circulate as much as possible.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I am comfortable with all the "risks" of running a turbo blanket. I have ran them for years on other cars. I have several buddies who have ran them for years, and I have never seen a failure from coking of the bearings etc from a turbo blanket. I have seen failures on cars where people have not cooled the turbo down properly, but these were all on cars without blankets. I am just curious how well the new blankets fit on the 996's.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
The web site sounds like a late night infomercial. Claims are really overstated and misleading IMHO. If they were true, I would have expected to see at least a few serious 930/993/996/997 turbos at our home track use them. In the last fifteen years, I have not ever seen or heard of melted bits and pieces around the turbo except where unprotected fiberglass bumpers were used. Honestly, I would keep my money in my pocket.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

They have not offered anything for the Porsche specific applications until now.......turbo blankets are very common. I just want to know how they fit lol.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Uwon;7470041]The web site sounds like a late night infomercial. Claims are really overstated and misleading IMHO. If they were true, I would have expected to see at least a few serious 930/993/996/997 turbos at our home track use them. In the last fifteen years, I have not ever seen or heard of melted bits and pieces around the turbo except where unprotected fiberglass bumpers were used. Honestly, I would keep my money in my pocket.[/QUOT
All of the wiring on the back half of my engine is cooked, even the stuff like tail light wiring etc. Too much time sitting in rush hour traffic. Anything to keep the heat in the turbo and exhaust will make everything else last. I have had to replace 3 different oil pressure senders over this. Happens the same way ever time. driving along the turnpike doing 70 or so then some wreck up ahead and sit for 30 minutes while everything gets really hot. then oil pressure goes away. from the sender getting cooked.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 05-30-2013, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Ken, sounds like your problem is sitting in traffic too long. Adequate oil cooling? Turbo is not doing much at that point so it's mostly exhaust heat. Protect the sender and wiring instead. Pretty easy to achieve with materials available at your local hot rod store.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

it's a combination of both. Especially on the turnpike when the turbo has been spun up.

88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 05-31-2013, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: