Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Grappler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumba View Post
So there's free play between the spring and the lock rings until the back squats a couple inches? I'm already running adjustable rear shocks with 28mm torsion bars with no tire rubbing. Just trying to get some clarification.

A very small amount like 1/4" ....

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S 997.2 (SOLD)
Old 06-03-2013, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
Prrrrreeeettttycool!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DohertyCM View Post
I have a modded 930, and I am putting down about 500 lbs. of torque. I have the same problem as you do with the inside rub. I have 30mm torsion bars and I am going to install coilovers with 400 lbs. springs in an effort to cure this squatting.
If you are in need of assistance for a coilover system, I would be more than happy to help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
Did you guys reinforced the shock towers before installing the coilovers?

And,

Did you keep the TBs installed as a combo deal, or removed them to let the coilovers do their thing on their own?
On a project that will still utilize TBs, I have been very successful without reinforcing the strut towers. However, our high powered vehicles that utilize the coilovers as a stand alone (no TBs) we defiantly invested in reinforced shock towers to support the chassis weight.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DohertyCM View Post
I have a modded 930, and I am putting down about 500 lbs. of torque. I have the same problem as you do with the inside rub. I have 30mm torsion bars and I am going to install coilovers with 400 lbs. springs in an effort to cure this squatting.
I have coilovers with 300lbs springs, 30mm bars, no squat but awful ride, you can feel the spring/or the torsion bar, I would recommend coil overs or torsions, not both. 400lbs springs, man that would be harsh! Lot's of people on here seem to have success with torsion bar/coil over combo but it was a bad move in my books.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Same experience for me driving the ex Jerry Brinkley 3.2 turbo that was inported to the UK by a friend. You could feel the spring rate changing between the torsion bar and the helper spring = awful. That car went to 22/29 torsion bars in the end, a tried and proven set up.

Just my $0.02, but these cars are supposed to squat. The problem is trying to fit unnecessarily large rear tyres on them. The squat is essential to what makes 911/930s such great cars. It gives them the rear end traction and corner exit speed that makes them such great track cars. It lets you hold them in a nice little power oversteer drift rather than a snappy full opposite lock moment. If you double the effective rear spring rate with helper springs (as some, not all, are suggesting) then you drastically change the under/oversteer balance towards the oversteer end of the spectrum.

Take a look at the Ruf Yellowbird video at the Ring and see how much squat that car has. IIRC, Ruf used "just" 10 inch wide rear wheels and the suspension was custom bilsteins with slightly larger rear torsion bars (22/26 IIRC and bigger sway bars). This is a car that "handled" - no one can argue that.

Edit - I double checked, Yellowbird was on 205/255 tyres and ran std torsion bars with custom valved bilsteins and bigger sway bars. Not saying that the ultimate suspension by any means but its probably not a bad start

Last edited by 911-32; 06-11-2013 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: Correction
Old 06-04-2013, 01:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Scottsdale Arizona USA

Garage
A few factors not heard was consideration to whether or not your G50 is equipped with an LSD unit or open diff? Anti-sway bars, any updates?

If Cervelli did the 5 speed conversion, he had history of gearbox machine works at Motorsport Design = properly done and not cutting the structural integrity of the torsion tube. If open diff then definitely handling and traction could be suffering?

Also with the extra power, updating to a rear dampers with higher rate valving would be an easy starting point. The shocks you have may no longer be holding the pressure. A fresh set of Bilsteins or you to step up to the racing Porsche 934 type valving fo 220 /180. Then if you wanted to convert to coilovers you have the threaded body dampers for adding springs and adjustable hardware future.

Food for thought!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftday View Post
A few factors not heard was consideration to whether or not your G50 is equipped with an LSD unit or open diff? Anti-sway bars, any updates?

If Cervelli did the 5 speed conversion, he had history of gearbox machine works at Motorsport Design = properly done and not cutting the structural integrity of the torsion tube. If open diff then definitely handling and traction could be suffering?

Also with the extra power, updating to a rear dampers with higher rate valving would be an easy starting point. The shocks you have may no longer be holding the pressure. A fresh set of Bilsteins or you to step up to the racing Porsche 934 type valving fo 220 /180. Then if you wanted to convert to coilovers you have the threaded body dampers for adding springs and adjustable hardware future.

Food for thought!
The G50 install was done as noted above, but unfortunately does not have the LSD. The cars handing and traction is much better since the addition of the new rubber on the 8's and 11's. I have been thinking about buying a reduced spacer 1mmish to see if this may be the cure for my clearance issue. I am trying to hold off on installing the coil overs to avoid the suspension slippery slope I will be headed down as I will never track this car or be a better driver than what this car can offer. Regardless I would like to replace the shocks and will most likely get the Bilstein RSR set up so that should I decide to go the coil over route I'll have the threaded body. Food for thought is much appreciated!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Well I had a bit of free time today and took the factory spacers to a machine shop. Had them use their lathe to take off 2mm, reinstalled them on the car, and took it for a drive. The car obviously still squats down under heavy load , but there is no longer a rubbing issue . Now that the clearance issue has been resolved I am going to order up a heavier duty rear shock as mentioned. Thanks to all who have offered their thoughts on this!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

You might consider having the current shocks re valved. I noticed an improvement with the re valved Jerry Woods (F10 front/R10 rear street setting) over the stock heavy duty shocks.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: