Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
RENNKRT

Sorry, new member... My 87' turbo is currently a Patrick Motorsports getting cleaned up and adding a big front oil cooler and 993 a/c. Will post when I get my hands on it but you all will know the car.

Ok, this is always an interesting topic. It's a fine line between enjoying the car and hopefully and not losing too much and parking the car and protecting the investment. This is true with all "collectible" cars not just the 930.

Canepa has a 4000 mile 930, asking 125k.. His reputation goes with out saying, the car is stunning. If you buy the car, you can show it, maintain it, but can you enjoy it with out taking a hit, NO. One can buy a high mile stock, and make it drivable but for it to be truly collectible, it will require a total restoration and will still never reach the value of an original.

On the other side, if one wants to enjoy it, buy what turns your crank! If mods are your thing then have at it. Know that you are unlikely to make money and will probably lose money. Better yet buy one that is already moded to your liking and let that guy take the hit, then you have a chance to break even.

As for buying a mod and returning it to stock, it depends.. My feeling is that a truly collectible car is that way only that way once. True collectors are not stupid and returning a moded car to a collectible car is not really possible with out getting caught on the wrong side on the balance sheet.

In the end buy what you are passionate about, have something to drive as they were intended.

Full disclosure. My 930 is a hot rod built by another and I intend to drive the hell out of it. Rock chips, rubber marks, glass blast, etc. Don't misunderstand it will be cared for as only a Porsche nut can, but it won't ever be perfect. I also own and lust after a few collectible cars. I think I have owned 55+cars between drivers, exotics, race and so far semi collectibles in the last 30 years.

Respectfully

Old 06-06-2013, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum!

First thing first... Pictures and description of the car.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
RENNKRT

They are coming. I am 140 miles from shop.. Going down this weekend to rub the fenders, hope to pick it up this coming week. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
Modded car(as in ALL factory Porsche upgrades, etc...yes)...aftermarket, no. If was designed, tested, and approved by Porsche, I don't want it on my car(nevermind diminishing the value of the car).

Mileage can be very deceptive...you can have a vehicle with 100K on it, and be in better shape, than the same model with 10K, modded out and beat(as in abused) on the track.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Finally completed bringing this car's drivetrain back to stock. It ran great modified but leaked like a sieve. We removed the drivetrain to fix the oil leaks and found a host of things that needed refreshed. The car had no history so we decided to tear down the top end. P&C were in great shape. All new gaskets and hoses everywhere and now the engine is bone dry. New clutch and clutch cable. It's hard to stop once you are "in there", ha!
So now we get to see first hand if returning a 930 to stock is worth the money and effort.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

the blue '72-'73 2002... is it still there?
thank you for not torturing me with a picture of it sitting around in the background
Old 06-17-2013, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
2002 is finished and back with it's caretaker. Had two identical 930's in at the same time, both Euro cars white with navy interiors. That was interesting ...

Old 06-18-2013, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: