Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Stock or Modded 930?

Looking at 2 930's.

A stock '86 car with under 50k miles that needs the usual engine reseal and clutch. About $5k worth of work but the body/interior are excellent. Car is very reasonably priced at $42k...

A very low mileage (under 25k mile) '88 car that has the k27 turbo, larger intercooler, cams, and something with the fuel...Not sure. The build was $15k and this car is supposed to be in immaculate condition. Car comes with all original parts as well. I am trying to get this car for under $50k.

I can obviously wait for a better car?? but I like the owners of these cars and they are non-BS guys who stand behind their cars. No dealers thank goodness. I already have a 996TT for the track so this is my "vintage" fun car. Just not sure which way to go....

Old 05-30-2013, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Modded as it has the replacable parts anyway.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Both cars sound nice with the limited info. Some guys prefer stock, some modded. Which one are you? Honestly you should test drive both. I was in the same dilemma when I purchased my car. In the end I went with the modded one. The power was night and day. Don't get me wrong I'm not one who is always pushing my car but I do like having that extra rush when needed or wanted.

What's great bout the 88 is he is including all the stock parts as well. So since you've asked....my vote is the 88 if you can get your price.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah I am working on it. I am leaning that way as well but my mechanic doesn't like the car because, according to his reasoning, anyone dumping $15k into a motor is looking to beat on the car...That said, the owner says he gets on it but it has never been tracked and the car only has 1500 miles on the mods. The car does need tires because the wheels he has on it ugly and it was a way to save money. His Fuchs have original rubber that need replacing. I can't find out where to buy the size though. Looked on the usual net sites and no matches...
Old 05-30-2013, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtmx View Post
Yeah I am working on it. I am leaning that way as well but my mechanic doesn't like the car because, according to his reasoning, anyone dumping $15k into a motor is looking to beat on the car...That said, the owner says he gets on it but it has never been tracked and the car only has 1500 miles on the mods. The car does need tires because the wheels he has on it ugly and it was a way to save money. His Fuchs have original rubber that need replacing. I can't find out where to buy the size though. Looked on the usual net sites and no matches...
It's not that hard to dump that kind of coin on these cars. And he's done it already. I'd tell the mechanic to butt out I'm kidding.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I think that it is important to remember that 1) these cars are meant to be driven...hard. Homologated for racing purposes, it is in their genes, and 2) most afficianado owners of these cars who invest a considerable amount of time and money into them maintain them to a degree surpassing the average owner or say, a 19 year old kid beating on his civic. To that end, as I am sure that you will be having the car PPI'd anyway, insist on leak down numbers and a thorough inspection of the drivetrain...
55 Belair
40 Ford pickup
Old 05-30-2013, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
No doubt on the PPI and inspection. I have driven a bunch of 930's and they are great in their own right but slow by todays standards. So a little modding could never hurt as long as the original parts come with it...Think I am getting close.

Came very very close buying a 964 turbo but it was too civilized...
Old 05-30-2013, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Id probably buy the second one. The prices of each of those seem about 10k high to me though, maybe I am stuck in 2010 though.

15K in mods is completely believable for nice parts and installation. I think that is full retail for basic mods and not a crazy build.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah I am working on it. I am leaning that way as well but my mechanic doesn't like the car because, according to his reasoning, anyone dumping $15k into a motor is looking to beat on the car...
Nonsense, these cars were built to be beat on. They competed in endurance events in near stock form and won.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage

The way I see it, these cars are are 25-40 years old. There is no way you can be absolutely sure of the state of every single part or component in a car even if it is a one-owner, low-mile, always-garaged "pristine" example.
They are, after all, high performance supercars that need constant monitoring and renewal of all rubber brushings, seals, hoses, o-rings, etc. even if they "look" fine. Not to mention, the electrical and mechanical components that said rubber cover, protect, seal and work with. There are several of these parts that you do not want them to fail in the supercar speeds and acceleration these cars can easily achieve in daily situations.
Because of this, and with mathematics in mind, I'd rather buy a "good" example with a "solid" engine at about 30K and spend another 30K to basically "make it new" stock or not, instead of dropping 50-60K in a "pristine" car I really do not know anything about. There is nothing like pushing hard a 930 that you know EVERYTHING about. Remember, the 930 is well known to be a widow-maker so you better know your car inside out before you hand over your life on the word of the previous owner.
That's the way I went on my 930 and I could not be happier...hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzoducoing View Post
The way I see it, these cars are are 25-40 years old. There is no way you can be absolutely sure of the state of every single part or component in a car even if it is a one-owner, low-mile, always-garaged "pristine" example.
They are, after all, high performance supercars that need constant monitoring and renewal of all rubber brushings, seals, hoses, o-rings, etc. even if they "look" fine. Not to mention, the electrical and mechanical components that said rubber cover, protect, seal and work with. There are several of these parts that you do not want them to fail in the supercar speeds and acceleration these cars can easily achieve in daily situations.
Because of this, and with mathematics in mind, I'd rather buy a "good" example with a "solid" engine at about 30K and spend another 30K to basically "make it new" stock or not, instead of dropping 50-60K in a "pristine" car I really do not know anything about. There is nothing like pushing hard a 930 that you know EVERYTHING about. Remember, the 930 is well known to be a widow-maker so you better know your car inside out before you hand over your life on the word of the previous owner.
That's the way I went on my 930 and I could not be happier...hope this helps.
Your way has some merit but a person has to have the time and patience. Some just want pay and drive. Truth is regardless of which way a person goes, there will always be some money to be spent. It's the nature of the beast. How much, will depend on the example one purchases.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I don't see it quite the same way. These cars are pretty simple. They're only widow makers if you don't understand them or are not used to the dynamics of their layout. These cars are pretty dramatic sure, but not very finicky. They're reliable tools that you can count on. Like an old hammer that you've had years. You always know where it is and how to swing it. It's capable of smashing your finger for sure but only if your careless.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

If you have a 996tt for a track toy, you'll most likely end up modding the 930. I would just buy the low mile modded one (if those are the mods you want) pending a good PPI.
14 535i M Sport
Old 05-30-2013, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

if you can get the 88 for under 50, go for it. he probably has a 1 bar spring and fuel enrichment.

have PPI's done on both. leak down and compression.

your looking at more than 5k for a reseal and clutch.

i was looking for original when i bought mine. mine was more like the 88 but 43k miles.
i paid 36 for my 86.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 05-31-2013, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
OK,

First of all Pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The modded one (1988) does not have headers/exhaust replaced? If not, it does not have the most important pieces to making a 930 enjoyable to drive. Very low mileage could mean a reseal and other leaks any way. $50K + $5K(maybe) in the car.

Stock 1986 after correcting leaks/clutch....$42K + $5k in car.

add headers/exhaust for another $5k.

So..............
1986- $52k 1988 $50-$60K

The prices of both are going to come out pretty close. I tend to like the stock 930 and add mods with stuff you like at a shop you trust. The Mods that will really bite you financially and emotional bank account wise are electrical stupidity with so called $10k stereo, alarms and stuff like that. Sounds like both of those cars are pretty clean with regards to that kind of stuff. There are a couple of threads on Pelican where the new owner drops another $100k on so called shops who know what they are doing so even though the current owners are good guys, they may not know if they got screwed on the mods thay got.

What color/interior do you like more. It may just come down to that. If you can't decide ask teh wife. Always good to have buy in when it goes into the shop. And it will eventually!

Good Luck.

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 05-31-2013, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

To answer your tire question....Bridgestone RE-11's seem to be one of the few if not only options. Maybe Toyo as well but only Bridgestone's were in stock when I checked about 6 weeks ago. Just replaced the tires on my '79. I got mine from a local shop but priced against Tire Rack.

Good luck, I vote stock if only because 'cams' scares me. Maybe that's not such a big deal though.

Love that photo Willtel! Do you have others as well? Obtaining 930 memorabilia, books, photos, articles, etc is such an easter egg hunt.

Last edited by bleachii; 05-31-2013 at 03:59 AM..
Old 05-31-2013, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I would say the modded one.
The modification is just minor and would not lower the price as it is just bolt on modifications.
With The K27 and other cams (SC or 964) you will have less turbo-lag and more power.
Gives you a nicer feeling when using it.
1986 944 Turbo
Old 05-31-2013, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Love the feedback here. I am waiting on the build sheet on the modded car. I would have to assume that if the cams were done at that price he pulled the motor and addressed the engine seals and those issues. The car does have exhaust and headers.

The prices on these things are just very high. I don't see any cars advertised for less than low 40's at all, even with 100k plus miles. There is a local dealer with 3 930's (2 1979's and 1 1988) all repainted, the older cars have new interiors, all are about a condition 6.5 and he wants mid 40's on the '79's and $52+ for the 88. And then there is the white turbo at J7 Motorsports (also local) with 28k miles that they want $90k for!
Old 05-31-2013, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Love the feedback here. I am waiting on the build sheet on the modded car. I would have to assume that if the cams were done at that price he pulled the motor and addressed the engine seals and those issues. The car does have exhaust and headers.

The prices on these things are just very high. I don't see any cars advertised for less than low 40's at all, even with 100k plus miles. There is a local dealer with 3 930's (2 1979's and 1 1988) all repainted, the older cars have new interiors, all are about a condition 6.5 and he wants mid 40's on the '79's and $52+ for the 88. And then there is the white turbo at J7 Motorsports (also local) with 28k miles that they want $90k for!
What they want and what they get are two different things. The best part is the hunt....happy hunting..
Old 05-31-2013, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
One last question in this debate....There is a local 964 Turbo for sale. Would you pick it over these 930's? The 964 has around 45k miles, minor mods, and is pristine...Think can be had for $55k...

Old 05-31-2013, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: