Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Looking for CA '79-'79 with '86 Euro Exhaust Installed

I swapped out the thermal reactors on my '79 and replaced with the TR delete pipes last year. I was also able to purchase a Euro exhaust from a fellow Pelicanite last year. It's been sitting in my garage because I don't have the ba11s to install it.

Is there anyone in SoCal with a '78-9 with the euro exhaust willing to let me see your setup? I'm also concerned about emissions issues as I know there are some components which will no longer be connected. Pics from someone outside the area but with the same CA issue would be great as well.

I'm probably going to take it to my mechanic for the install but if it isn't too bad I might try and tackle it.

The real issue at the moment (besides performance) is my current exhaust setup with stock heat exchangers and TR Deletes has a very tinny sound from 2800-3200. I'm thinking it may be from the TR Deletes as this sound did not exist prior to removal of the reactors. Nothing feels like it is loose though its possible I've got something amiss on reinstall. Rather than tshoot that issue it makes more sense to put the Euro exhaust. At work so I don't have pics or videos but I'll video later and post the sound as an fyi.

I have a Rarlyl8 hooligan muffler as well but had to remove it as it sounds like **** in that 2800-3200 range. It aint' the muffler though...its something else. The TR deletes were just a place holder until I could get around to finding and installing a euro system and here we are

Old 05-31-2013, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Apparently the title is not editable. Next time I'll proof read the title as well. '78-'79 obviously.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Your only real issue I could see would be the studs. They can and usually are a son of a gun.
Do you have the correct oil lines?
Old 05-31-2013, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Don't think the studs are an issue. I was the one who removed the TR's and replaced with the delete pipes and all new copper nuts. Not many miles on the car since I made that change.

I do not have the correct oil line which reminds me that I was also going to have to drain the oil and then go find more Brad Penn.

All these little things I think spooked me.

Thanks for the response.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
My 79 has the euro exhaust / 86 + exhaust. I can post a few pics. Mine had the original Us exhaust. So your studs should be fine. It a good amount of work to do right. Be surr the J pipe is perfect or new with no cracks. Same for the cross over pipe at the bellows. I stripped mine all down and went with 2000 degree ceramic coating. which really help cut down on radiant heat. Pm me your contact info and I can fill you in. Or you can look at my car. May do cars and coffee Saturday.

Ben

Old 06-03-2013, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I saw this on another site.....very clear on the set up. Later cars used a wastegate muffler instead of a pipe to the muffler.

2019 Audi S4
'76 911S '72 911T '73 1/2 911T '77 930 Turbo (all gone)

Last edited by stevie 77 930; 06-04-2013 at 03:02 PM..
Old 06-04-2013, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Just seeing your posts Stevie and 66Cal...thanks gentlemen! My car is at Autowerkes here in HB. Should be done tomorrow and I'm glad I didn't do it myself. In addition to moving the oil line, there is another muffler pipe required (hard to find/expensive) to connect to the wastegate properly. This also means the wastegate location adjusts slightly.

I'm going to go over there tomorrow and get some pics of the parts and try and get p/n's. The small pipe connecting to the wastegate we were able to get used in pretty good condition. Otherwise we would have to source from Germany.

I have a Rarlyl8 muffler which fixes this issue (uses a wastegate dump pipe). However, I want the car to be able to go to stock muffler easily so I'm taking the time and $$ to get the required part.

To make things a bit trickier I was out of Brad Penn and you don't just get it at the local store so I found the closest distributor and I can pick it up from his house tomorrow morning.

The crap I go through for this car! If I get it back for the weekend maybe I'll meet you at C&C, '66.

Last edited by bleachii; 06-05-2013 at 08:07 PM..
Old 06-05-2013, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The upper left corner of this photo is the problem area (in addition to having to move the one oil line). It's not visible in this photo since the wastegate is not there. The wastegate sits approx where the grey pipe goes behind the muffler outlet. The wastegate needs to be moved up and back about an inch. The existing muffler to wastegate pipe will no longer connect with the new exhaust installed. I'm going to try and get pics tomorrow of the new setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie 77 930 View Post
I saw this on another site.....very clear on the set up. Later cars used a wastegate muffler instead of a pipe to the muffler.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

You could vent the wastegate pipe to the atmosphere and cap off the pipe that goes to the wastegate from the muffler. You could also cut that pipe off and weld the hole. The newer style mufflers did not have that extra pipe that ran back to the wastegate. The newer style wastegates had their own muffler that vented to atmosphere.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Brian,

PM sent.

Steve
2019 Audi S4
'76 911S '72 911T '73 1/2 911T '77 930 Turbo (all gone)
Old 06-06-2013, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I ve got a case or two of 20 50 Brad Penn Id like to sell if you want it let me know. I dont need the extra cases anylonger. They are in Socal.

Ben

Old 06-06-2013, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: