Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

To baloo the OP, the thing I have learnt with my personal projects and I have gotten very carried away before. Try to do them in stages and keep the car off the road for as short a time as possible with each step. I am time poor, always, I know if I scope something out with too many mods, a. I wont have the time to do them all and b, it's hard to trouble shoot multiple mods at once and you will be trouble shooting.

Do your project within the time you can afford. The 'while you're in theres are a bad trap, I think a lot of the time people think they're saving time in the future but IMO it just adds overall time, it's really only a few hours to drop the engine again and do the next step... I also think adding a bit more power and feeling what each mod has done is more fun than a whole bunch of stuff.

'18 C63S Coupe
Old 06-03-2013, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence88mph View Post
To baloo the OP, the thing I have learnt with my personal projects and I have gotten very carried away before. Try to do them in stages and keep the car off the road for as short a time as possible with each step. I am time poor, always, I know if I scope something out with too many mods, a. I wont have the time to do them all and b, it's hard to trouble shoot multiple mods at once and you will be trouble shooting.

Do your project within the time you can afford. The 'while you're in theres are a bad trap, I think a lot of the time people think they're saving time in the future but IMO it just adds overall time, it's really only a few hours to drop the engine again and do the next step... I also think adding a bit more power and feeling what each mod has done is more fun than a whole bunch of stuff.
Amen!
Old 06-04-2013, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
heh, my kneejerk response to the initial list is - lol, YES

8-)

and as was well said - all of those can really be said for anything... well put.

But Uncle nailed it - kudos - sheds some insight to your build thread certainly, that's been a fun read and at the same time your doitness is humbling - d'oh!

Guys like you make for good motivation to self actualize. Having kids / wife leads one to be time / resource / opportunity creative 8-).

so back to baloo... I defer to Cliyde's list... bingo... good / true stuff

good luck, and remember:

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 06-04-2013, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I have updated the original list to reflect everyones' comments.

I want to say that while this list may certainly apply to most projects, the tendency for the turbo project to fall flat was driven home to me by three things:

1) The fact that a turbo installation is laid out very well by many other installers, and is really quite simple, in comparison to, for example, dropping the engine and rebuilding it.

2) In spite of this simplicity, I noted the large number of turbo projects posted that all start out the same way -- with enthusiasm and grandiose ideas -- but which fizzle. I have seen this over and over on Pelican, Rennlist, and four other similar forums (Jag, Corvette, DIY turbo, and Z4). In fact, the more enthusiasm that I see in the initial post, the more my heart sinks, knowing the probable outcome.

2) My own treading water for over one year in regards to getting my own turbo installed. Fact is that I am forewarned by other's fizzled projects. I refuse to start this project until I get every single piece together, laid our in the living room floor, down to the individual clamps and bolts. I do not want a stalled project sitting in the garage again.
Now, why don't I have all the pieces together yet??? Yeah, that's a good question. I think it's because of too many other competing priorities that arise as a result of daily living.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Here's my story as I am one of both fates. I initially "failed" due to technical frustration with the installation of a mega squirt system but now looking back on it, if I would have taken a moment to cool down, I probably would have figured it out.
When I did stop I sold all the turbo parts and put the car back together. About a year thereafter I got the turbo bug again and started to source all of the parts I needed. I think it probably took a few years to find exactly what I was looking for, but this time around I wanted to keep it as simple as possible and use as many 930 parts as possible. After sourcing everything I started the project back up and would say 3-4 months later I successfully finished the project and haven't looked back since.
I still have a minor bug that I think the boost comes on a little late cause I am a bit rich, but overall a success and quite the gratifying experience.
What kept me going the 2nd time around was a phone call I had with Cole and he said, Jeremy it's just nuts and bolts....
A very wise man that Cole is.
Good luck!!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
I would think its quite easy to come up with a list of all required parts due to the number of threads from people doing a turbo add on.

Doing my own install I got a simple list together from reading several other posts.
The only parts I needed to buy during the install was extra hose clips some silicone vacuum pipe and some small sundry bits and bobs.

I myself got impatient with my install but only due to the fact I could only work on the car on Saturdays, so it ended up taking a few months.

The install itself was very easy, I only had help with dropping and reinstalling the engine. Although the engine was only dropped to ease access to the oil feed and vacuum lines on the throttle body (with a 3.2 you may not need to drop the engine)

I leant a hell of alot doing the install and I started with only the info I could find on Pelican threads. I have no real previous experience with working on cars.

The guys on Pelican where great with all the info and help.

It seams most people have issues with two key areas when doing the install :

Fueling
Oil Return From Turbo

But these issues are more relevant to the 3.0 CIS cars not the 3.2
Fueling on the 3.2 can be controlled via motronic brain (chip) and maybe an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
Oil return is a simple fitting to the drain plug on the 3.2

The only real issues I have encountered so far are the ones above and the oil return causing the most issues, although I think I may have now sorted it (on my CIS 3.0).

Get a list together with the info on the Pelican threads.
Keep it simple, just go for the simplest install to begin with, then once up and running you can add extra's and tweek (by that time you will know the setup inside out).
Start your own thread and list the parts there, I'm sure all the guys here will help to identify if you have missed anything.
Start the install, post your progress as much as possible and everyone will chip in with advice and info if you need it

Its well worth it for the sounds alone (from the Zork) (the extra power is just a bonus)
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, WEVO Shifter, K27 7200 Turbo, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, Omex 710 ECU, 3.2 Intake, Full Bay Intercooler.....400HP

Last edited by gavinc69; 06-04-2013 at 10:13 AM..
Old 06-04-2013, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
Can I add?
Here is my list of reasons mine worked.

1) My wife wanted me to have it. I wouldn't even have tried because my ex wife hated my love of cars and controled my car nature. My currant wife encouraged it to the point that I almost had to do it My wife is a big reason I could do this.
2) I have the means to do it.(barely) The way I did it seemed to be an affordable way and it was by comparrison to some on pelican, but that does not mean it was cheep. I don't have a running total because I don't want too.
3) I have another good vehicle. If you rely on this car then you setting yourself up for failure and frustration.
4) I had time. I didn't need it done next week. I actually took a lot of time building my engine, no hurry.
5) I didn't do anything crazy. My conversion included everything factory parts except the turbo and oil feed line. No drama and no re-inventing the wheel so to speak. Since the origional conversion I've installed an Andial/Garritson intercooler. BWT, if your wanting to do any crazy add ons and your running the 915 gearbox your retarded. It can't take too much turbocharged torque.
6) Sure it was a big deal to me to rebuild the engine, but I didn't make it unbelievable in my mind. Some guy in Germany put it all together and I'm a guy so why can't I do it too? It's not rocket science. You can in fact do it.

I can't think of anything else.
It is doable, If you have a list like me, then do it if you want too.

I love my car!
I drive it every single day. It's hot here so I'm putting together a bunch of parts for ac because I don't want to sweat but I'm driving my car.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Bad LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc911 View Post
it's just nuts and bolts....
A very wise man that Cole is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
Some guy in Germany put it all together and I'm a guy so why can't I do it too? It's not rocket science. You can in fact do it.
Very wise words indeed. Years ago I asked my old man if he would give me a hand to rebuid something as I'd never done one before and thought he might of. He said "Nope never even seen one but if someone built it we can rebuild it right?"

So have a little faith in yourself and pick up a spanner. How hard could it be?
Old 06-04-2013, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Keeping me motivated I would do boost induced powerslides at the grocery store all the time....with the cart. My kids loved it.
Do that a couple hundred times and you'll finish the turbo project faster.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Bad LT

Uh-oh! I do the same thing and my little bloke loves it to. It's a sickness.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
Uh-oh! I do the same thing and my little bloke loves it to. It's a sickness.
Do you make sounds too?
Old 06-04-2013, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Bad LT

Yep
Old 06-04-2013, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Reason for so many failed turbo projects

Reason One...

Porsche engineers did(and do today) a much better job of making a turbo entity(the WHOLE car with the factory 3.0L or 3.3L) than any layman can do himself.

Real research and development is what made the 930 the supercar of it's time, not tinkering, not trial and error, but determination combined with science and theory(and a TON of money too).

Factory approved parts are designed and engineered and tested by Porsche. And they all work together in harmony, so the sum of the parts is greater than the whole, not the other way around.

Here is something I learned while in school doing an internship a ANDIAL(which was morphing at that time into Porsche Motorsports North America, under Alwin Springer).
Seeing a Porsche part number, such as '930 ... ..." on a 3.0SC block does not mean it is a 930 part. It's just Porsches wonky part numbering system.

Seeing so many crash and burn projects myself of people trying to make 'turbo's out a standard SC 3.0 or the Carrera 3.2 made me just circumvent all those issues, and I just bought a fresh, complete 3.3L from an 86', and had a shop do the installation. At start up, the car turned over immediately, and has run flawlessly for the past 4 years. That in itself, was a blessing of peace of mind to have a turn-key car.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post
Seeing so many crash and burn projects myself of people trying to make 'turbo's out a standard SC 3.0 or the Carrera 3.2 made me just circumvent all those issues,
Can you show us these crash and burn 3.0 and 3.2 turbo projects? I'm yet to see any...
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 06-04-2013, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

This is a great thread that I (and the community) can really relate to.

Many of the points on the first post by Baloo hits home.

Yasin
Old 06-05-2013, 03:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence88mph View Post
Can you show us these crash and burn 3.0 and 3.2 turbo projects? I'm yet to see any...
As would I. I used "non 930" parts with the 930 designation on my SC block and it also fired right up, with no issues. Not to say that I was not surprised initially as I was expecting to have to trouble shoot, but did not need to. Where I thought I would have an issue was with the addition of the factory scavenge pump to the SC engine, but that too has worked perfectly ever since.
Keep it simple.
-1978 911 SC TURBO, Minerva Blue Targa 965 update.
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 06-05-2013, 03:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Mine fired up first time too and has so ever since.
Basically I've had no problems, just a few things to improve and tweet.

I myself have not seen any failed turbo installs.
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, WEVO Shifter, K27 7200 Turbo, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, Omex 710 ECU, 3.2 Intake, Full Bay Intercooler.....400HP
Old 06-05-2013, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
Tilikum Turbo's statesments are sort diffcult to understand to say politely. Where are you born, on Earth? I'm asking this because you ought to know that engineers don't build cars alone, beancounters have the final word and that is even in Porsche.

Your statements about tested parts, sum of the whole etc may apply to NEW Porsches to some extent but how on earth you could convince a person with a slight clue of engines that CIS injected 930 is better platvorm than EFI 3.2 Carrera with programmable ECU?

And with this is mind I would like to make a suggestion to correct the 1st point of the list: standalone ECU is pretty much the first item one needs to buy if one thinks about boosting a 3.2 or SC. You can make the car run quite fast and relaible with stock headers but with poor tuning one cannot expect it to live more than few hundred miles at worst.
And number one reason for turbocharging projects to fail (mechanically) is poor tuning. That applies to all cars not just Porsches.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Lets see, i started with a 79 3.0 SC engine, added a 930 oil pump, a 930 scavenge pump, 930 Pistons and Cylinders, and a 86 930 CIS euro intake and fuel head. O44 fuel pump, and Twin plugged and used high performance valve springs in the SC heads.

Sorry to disappoint, but my engine runs very well......

914 6 Turbo twinplug 3.12
87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 06-05-2013, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
The BAE approach is what I feel is the issue. There are compatability issues with the sc fuel system and intake and turbocharging. The sc system is just not a compatable to pressurizing as the 930 parts. It's cause for potential problems.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: