Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Air pump question

Hi all, I am new here. I have had 4 Porsches over the past fifty years and still own a '76 930 I bought in '84. The air pump froze and took out the first belt and small, 17 tooth gear on the idler. Pelican can get the belt but the gear is not available. I have located some off the shelf gears that I believe will work but I am having difficulty determining the exact pitch. It is either a 3/8 or 10 mm pitch, both very close. Does anyone know the pitch hor these gears?

The second part of my question, is do I need the air pump? This is a CA car and will need to pass the smog test. It would be great to just take this out while I have the engine out - thoughts?

Thank you for your help.
Harry

Last edited by Surf rider; 06-06-2013 at 02:04 PM..
Old 06-06-2013, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, KEEP that smog-pump as they will look for that when the techs do the smog check.

Also...#1 reason why cars fail smog check emission test is SPARK-PLUGS...make sure a new batch of those all important Bosch WD3P0's go in there. There may be others you can buy, but from what I understand, none can take the heat generated by that engine.

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2013, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

Do you still have whats left of the pulley? If so, you can wrap the new belt around that and measure the pitch directly.

The early cars had the two belt system. The later cars don't use the idler pulleys, and have only one belt.

Here is a link that explains it with pics:

http://www.gatesmectrol.com/mectrol/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=Belt_Theory06sm.pdf&folder=brochure

Keep your 1976 in one piece. Spare no expense. It is going to be worth a lot of money real soon....
Old 06-09-2013, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Air pump pulley

Thanks Speedy, I appreciate the link. One thing it does is show is how close the 3/8 and 10 mm pitches are. That is my problem. All of the gears are the same pitch so measuring between two good teeth is fairly straight forward but the two gears pitches are only 0.5 mm different and without hard edges to measure between it can become both sizes. I am inclined to believe it is a 17 tooth, 10 mm pitch gear but I have only found 17 tooth 3/8 pitch gears. Porsche probably had a custom gear fabricated. I have ordered an inexpensive 3/8 tooth belt and a matching gear to compare.

I am keeping everything for the car. I have owned it since '84 when it had only 10K miles on it. There are special features the original owner ordered such as a heated windshield and 16" wheels. It currently is red with tan/black interior but the original color was that beautiful green that he did not like and had the car painted. I have upgraded to a rotary compressor and radiator oil cooler but have kept all of the original stuff. Thanks again for your help.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
air pump , belts , pulley