Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Shifter Woes - ideas?

My tunnel bushing let go last week, so I am replacing all the bushings and the coupler. It appears that the car had a Weltmeister short shift kit.
Now that it is all back together, I don't have enough range in motion to hit reverse as well as 3-4.....no amount of coupling adjusting can get it where it needs to be to hit all the gears.

I'm at a loss. It worked prior to my "fixing it".
Has anyone any experience getting the Weltmeister kit to fit correctly???

If I can't get this I'll probably order the WEVO for it (1987), but since it looks like the L-bracket holes were drilled out in my housing, I'm concerned that I'm stuck with the existing setup.
Can I just use longer bolts/washers and do away with the countersink?

I'm out of beer and running out of hair...any ideas?

Old 06-07-2013, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I had the Weltmeister short shift kit for several years. I can't think of any reason it would limit your rotational range of motion. It can perhaps cause some binding or rubbing vertically on the tube bushing due to the spacer, but the kit is just a shim plate and a shift handle. How are you adjusting the coupler... Trans in neutral, lower part of shifter straight up, and Holding coupler rotated towards driver side while shift handle is held over in 3-4 plane?
Old 06-07-2013, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
What you describe is typically how I adjust the couplers. This time, I have tried several methods.

I think there is some magic spot where the spacer, bushing bracket, shift housing and shift rod need to be to make this thing work.
I think the issue I'm fighting has to do with the short shift spacer and the bushing bracket. Although, the only thing that has changed is the bushing. So, perhaps that is telling.

I guess I'll order the WEVO and figure out the bushing bracket holes that have been drilled out on my housing. Worse case, I fire up the TIG and build the counterbore back up......unless anyone else has some ideas.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Can't tell without seeing it but you probably have something installed wrong and the shift coupler is tricky and takes a bit of trying and retrying until you get it just right. If you can't get all the gears thats usually the rear coupler is not positioned quite right.

I have the weltmiester short shifter with tight shifter bushings and homemade tight coupler bushings and it feels and works fantastic.
It took alot of hit and miss repositioning the rear coupler on the splined shaft to get it to shift just right into all forward gears and reverse smoothly with no cclink noises or hangups.
Instructions I found online other than the lower half of the shifter rod being straight up vertical while in nuetral didn't work at all for me.

If money is not an issue than go for the Wevo, it is the best one but the Weltmiester has shorter throws and when it's set up right with tight bushings front and rear it works and feels great.
The factory rear coupler bushings are junk and have for and aft slop clearance built in so you'll never get a tight shifter using those. You can make your own or buy snug brass ones somewhere for it.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have no doubt that I'm doing something wrong. Otherwise it would be working like before.
But, something still doesn't seem right. My shift rod is hitting something in the tunnel and that is limiting the side to side motion that I need more of.

Also...doesn't the L-bracket go between the spacer plate and the tunnel???
The new bushing, or L-bracket location feels to be putting the shift rod into a place that creates the interference. I can actually hold the spacer and L-bracket in place by hand and feel/hear it hitting.

The new coupler is a Wevo and I'm pretty pleased with it, although, it would be nice to say that after a test drive.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
buggered up shift rod grub screw hole is forcing the ball socket into the wrong position, which positions the rod so that the bend is in the wrong spot. It looks like the PO had problems when installing the Weltmeister kit and drilled into the shift rod.

going to attempt dremel surgery while still in the tunnel.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Good luck with it.
I think for a starting point, with the transmaission in nuetral the shifter is supposed to be all the way over to the right halfway between 3rd and 4th with the bottom half of the shifter straight up when the coupler is tightened.

Then make small adjustments from there and see if shifting feels and sounds better.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: