Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Throw Out Bearing Binding

Hi Guys

I'm in the final stages of putting my newly rebuilt tranny back on the engine.
I'm having trouble getting the throwout bearing to grab the release fork.
The tranny came apart without any problems. I used a clutch alignment tool
to put the clutch back together. There seems to be 2 issues. If I turn the release fork
counter-clockwise towards the pressure plate, the throwout bearing seems to bind up in the 2 oclock position and I cannot turn it so the throwout bearing guides are north south. The other issue, is the release fork doesn't seem to line up with throwout bearing guides. The release fork seems to low. The release fork will only move up approximately 1/8". I have inspect the release fork for signs of cracking or bending.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

1988 Porsche 930 Targa - 3.4L Twin Plug Motor, DC 13 Cams, Supertec Head Studs, ARP Rod Bolts, Port and Polished Heads, Garretson Andial Intercooler, GSX 61 BB Stage 5Turbo, Tial F46 WG .8 Bar Spring, PowerHaus Headers, Rarly8 Dual Tip Muffler, MS3 Pro EFI conversion, 57lbs. Cobra Injectors, Center Force Stage 2 Clutch , Rebuilt 4 Speed with LSD.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage

1988 Porsche 930 Targa - 3.4L Twin Plug Motor, DC 13 Cams, Supertec Head Studs, ARP Rod Bolts, Port and Polished Heads, Garretson Andial Intercooler, GSX 61 BB Stage 5Turbo, Tial F46 WG .8 Bar Spring, PowerHaus Headers, Rarly8 Dual Tip Muffler, MS3 Pro EFI conversion, 57lbs. Cobra Injectors, Center Force Stage 2 Clutch , Rebuilt 4 Speed with LSD.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Bunch of views but no replies yet... I'll give it a shot. Assuming you are reusing your old TOB, or the new one matches exactly to the old one, it sounds like you might not have it located in the clutch fingers correctly. It should click on and spin freely while captured within the clutch, so that it doesn't fall out on you as you reinstall the trans. You might have to relooosen the clutch and PP to get the TOB seated correctly.
If nothing changed, nothing should have changed, right? If the TOB is new, make sure it's the right one.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
TOB is being reused. If I separate the tranny 2" away TOB spins freely. I am going to try spinning TOB 180 degrees. That's tonights job.
Thanks for reply.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
it looks like the weight of the tranny lies on the fork rod/arm, correct? If so it will be pushed up a little, therefore fork is not sliding free over TOB...

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 06-11-2013, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Guys

Success, I was able to get the release fork to line up with the TOB ears.

I pulled the tranny off. Greased the guidetube. This time I made sure that I levelled the tranny bolt holes up with the studs. I used a number of thick washers to zero in on the level between hole and stud. Lined up the TOB ears north south. Tranny slide on with ease. I manipulated the the release fork, pulling up, and twisting the last 1" or so. Buttoned up the nuts. I still have a few minor jobs to finish off. I have to remount my coils, finish cleaning engine bay, and glue new firewall mat. I'm hoping to be up and
running this weekend.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by jpilcher; 06-12-2013 at 02:25 AM..
Old 06-11-2013, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: