Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Are you happy with the CIS on your turbo

im seeing a lot of EFI treads, for those running the CIS.... are you happy with it. Are you confident it wont destroy your engine because of its lack of adjustability ( running lean ect..)

My project is still in pieces but im already wondering if a EFI conversion is needed to avoid a damaged engine. . I also dont know if the WUR has been modified (how can you tell). My engine is pretty basic, this is how I got it

-1988 U.S market 3.3L
-964 cams
-euro fuel distributor + euro injectors
-B&B headers + Garrett turbo
-930 Andial intercooler (its pretty small, not sure if its efficient enough)
- 1 bar waste gate spring ( stock 930 waste gate )
-Dual plug heads with old electromotive ignition ( thinking of going back to single plug and stock distributor)

thoughts ?

Old 06-11-2013, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Air Medal or two

For get his name .There is a guy in seattle area. He would not be hard to find, Has a 600 Hp ttg cis
i have seen it on the dyno.
something about a V in the plate and stuffffff
think his name is craig....

For those who have fought for it,
freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I think that CIS is ok. It is when you start the upgrades that you start having problems with hurting the engine. You still have to tune it properly for the point where you lean out on bosst. The adjustable WUR I think helps a little with making the system work better. If you leave the motor stock, and properly tune it, it should be just fine. CIS is used on many cars and 911s 1974-1983 and they do fine as well.

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 06-11-2013, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I hate CIS.

My factory engine is apart for a rebuild and the project is delayed as I'm trying to buy a new house. I also have a running spare engine but it is CIS so I'm hesitating even putting it in because to me it is a pain to keep running well.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
As stated, CIS can be fine but its getting up there in age and getting somewhat scarce. The youngest examples are 20 years old, and some bits like decel valves or AARs are either NLA or getting Ferrari-like in parts cost. I'd bet in another 10 years, if we can even buy gasoline, just about every 930 still on the road will have EFI. I have a copy of Probst's CIS bible and it demystified the whole system for me, and mine has been trouble free for 5 years now, but you only need one hand to count the resources that still service the fuel heads, WUR, and injectors. How many are still hanging on in 10 years?
EFI is of course better, and really a prerequisite for 400HP+ builds, but you really do need a good tuner. And its not cheap. Stephen at Imagine Auto was trying to bring a plug and play kit to the market for under $10k and couldn't do it. Pat Williams has a nice setup that retains the stock pancake intake but its $$ and he doesn't sell direct.

I'd break in a new engine on my known good CIS before I started sorting out EFI maps while trying to break it in.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I think as long as you stay under 450 fwhp, and you get an adjustable WUR and dial it in on a dyno, you should be okay. I'm not ready to drop 20k and ship my motor to Pat Williams and have them work their magic. Not just yet........
Old 06-11-2013, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

CIS is fine, but you've first have to take the time to get educated on it and have got to enjoy the tinkering and tuning to keep it at it's optimum, or pay someone else to do it for you. One of these days the bits and pieces will become unobtanium and there will be a lot of 930's languishing as a result...or a surge in startup EFI buisnesses.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

i think it is a fascinating system and i like all the engineering that must have gone into it vs EFI.
i REALLY like that it is so reliable.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 06-11-2013, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Very Happy!

That's the way real 930s are.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

easy to work on, dead reliable, what else do you need if you are under 400ish HP?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

lol...
Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I like cis.
It's easy, and works.
If yours doesn't work, fix it.
If you want 500hp then go efi.
Btw I think you'll like the andial Intercooler.
Sometimes we can get freaked out by all the threads about a topic and think your doomed because of them. But reality is less extreme and you just need to sit back and relax.
Build the engine, maybe don't worry about twin plugging as you don't really need it anyway, enjoy that turbo, cis will keep up with it till 1.1 bar at least. You have a better everything.
Build it already and quit making the project more complicated is what I say.
Don't you want to drive it? Hurry up.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Boost Abuser

I like the cis on these cars. It's mysterious to most car people and they think it must be a pain to work on.It has the old school mechanical look and feel sitting on top of the motor and it works. Buy a set of cis gauges,adjustable wur,and an arf meter and the cis bible and your set to work on it.It really isn't that complicated and is easy to diagnose problems.Once you get to know it you can diagnose problems on the side of the road "if"they pop up.When you add efi it has its good points but also adds more things that could go wrong when your 300 mls from home.Cis was good enough for Porsche to win Lemans so it's good enough for me .
Old 06-12-2013, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Does anyone have links as to where one can learn and understand CIS and how to properly tune it?

I'm in a similar state, where I dont know if I should keep it or convert the car to EFI.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

Here ya go a little reading for you. Do't get scared off it's simpler than you think. CIS Primer for the Porsche 911
Old 06-12-2013, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
There is way more info on this site than most will ever need concerning CIS. I would be considered biased but will say that most who hate CIS have only experienced old worn out 20+ year old CIS. Clean the fuel tank, rebuild the components and give the engine a tune up. You'll be amazed how well it can work.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

CIS is very reliable and gets better if you drive the car on a regular basis.
1969 Carrera Widebody TurboKraft Custom (Mexico Blue)
2001 E39 M5 Imola/Black-red interior
Old 06-12-2013, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
beancounter

I am happy with CIS. My car runs great.

At the track, I had a guy in the p car modification business tell me "if your CIS is working well, don't mess with it, don't go EFI".

If the day comes when my CIS requires major repairs, I will consider EFI. Until then, CIS is great.

One observation from hanging around this place is that the people who are happiest with EFI seem to be hardcore DiYers. Not to suggest you can't write checks to a tuner to make the mod, you can. Just seems to me that EFI bliss is tied to knowing how to take care of it yourself.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
i am happy with cis. My car runs great.

At the track, i had a guy in the p car modification business tell me "if your cis is working well, don't mess with it, don't go efi".

If the day comes when my cis requires major repairs, i will consider efi. Until then, cis is great.

One observation from hanging around this place is that the people who are happiest with efi seem to be hardcore diyers. Not to suggest you can't write checks to a tuner to make the mod, you can. Just seems to me that efi bliss is tied to knowing how to take care of it yourself.
+ 1
Old 06-12-2013, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I have my CIS with and adjustable WUR with the RPM Controller sold by BL. Trick is to have a A/F Ratio guage in the car. Makes all the difference and you get real time A/F readings so you are not stabbing in the dark. Running a tweaked 3.3T w/o A/F guage is like a human doing a stress test with out any heart/ lung monitoring. Bismoto had nice guages for sale for a decent price. Best investment IMO. Run safe!

Old 06-12-2013, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: