Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Regarding damping rates and mass

From what I gather there are basically two applicable types of shocks from Bilstein; HD and Sport. Now I've seen these noted for various BMWs and Porsches. But this seems to be inherently problematic.

I assume everyone is trying for a "critical damped" system. This calculation is dependent of mass. So if a shock with damping "X" works perfectly with a front engine BMW with say 2000lbs over the front wheels, then it would be way overdamped for a 911 with 1200lbs.

Furthermore, for a 911 it would seem a higher damped shock would be required for the rear and a lower damped shock for the front. Otherwise, you'll induce a fore/aft pitch mode to the vehicle.

Question: Can the shocks be ordered with various damping coefficients?

Scott

Old 06-12-2013, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Bilsteins shocks are specific for make and model of the car. That is a Bilstein HD for a BMW has different valving than an HD shock for a 911. Bilsteins can be custom valved for your specific application, JWE enterprises in Cambell CA does it as does Bilstein N/A. You have to tell them what springs/torsion bars you are using and what your application is (street, track etc.)
Old 06-12-2013, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojo911 View Post
Bilsteins shocks are specific for make and model of the car. That is a Bilstein HD for a BMW has different valving than an HD shock for a 911. Bilsteins can be custom valved for your specific application, JWE enterprises in Cambell CA does it as does Bilstein N/A. You have to tell them what springs/torsion bars you are using and what your application is (street, track etc.)
Exactly.
I called Ramone over at Bilstein NA and he was a gem to me. They revalved my inserts and rear shocks and replaced any worn parts. Pricing was fair and they turned it around quickly. They also supplied new bump stops which you were talking about in your other posts and which I found impossoble to source anywhere.
He needs to know your torsion bar sizes and how you intend to drive the car.
I think there is a spec sheet to fill out for the service that gets shipped in with the shocks.
Then you can say you have custom valved shocks for your car!

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 06-12-2013, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I run adj. Konis (red) and highly recommend them.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: