Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rockwall, Texas
Posts: 8,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirevtuner View Post
x2
So your 7006 leaks as well?

Old 06-14-2013, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
jsveb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Norseman territory
Posts: 2,796
Garage
Chris,
Thanks for taking the time to explain these things. It is greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Perform a simple scavenge pump test. The process has been covered many times on this forum, but the short form is this:

* allow the turbo to drain into a container

* extend the scavenge line, stick the free end into the container

* start the engine

Oil should be scavenged out of the container faster than the oil drains our of the turbo, at all rpms.

We have seen used pumps work at idle and not at revs, and vice versa.

It is not uncommon during a turbo swap to have to remove the scav pump an install new seals (cover, shaft), as well as replace (or thoroughly de-carbon) the oil line into the turbocharger.



TurboKraft sells new braided PTFE/stainless oil feed lines for the 930s to replace the stock ones that leak where crimped, but the check ball is retained at the case's oil fitting, and there is no restrictor used with 3K-Warner or other journal bearing turbochargers.



If the pump is good, it's your turbocharger.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
klefroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 677
Garage
Thanks for the great information!
So I tested the scavenge pump like described here. It sucks a bit but it does not follow up. after 30 sec I have my container full. 2 liters of oil. when I put my finger on the line I can feel it sucking but not much. So past Saturday we changed to the original turbo and all is fine... but can the old one handle more pressure the a K27?
BUT I have to say that I did it not the right way. I did a test without the turbo, so I just used the lines... I will do a new test when I got some more time to spent...


Is there a way to check if your turbo is an original KKK?
even I do not trust that turbo anymore ...

Again thanks so far for helping me out guy's!

Last edited by klefroid; 06-18-2013 at 01:32 PM..
Old 06-18-2013, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
klefroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 677
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Perform a simple scavenge pump test. The process has been covered many times on this forum, but the short form is this:
* allow the turbo to drain into a container
* extend the scavenge line, stick the free end into the container
* start the engine
Oil should be scavenged out of the container faster than the oil drains our of the turbo, at all rpms.
We have seen used pumps work at idle and not at revs, and vice versa.
It is not uncommon during a turbo swap to have to remove the scav pump an install new seals (cover, shaft), as well as replace (or thoroughly de-carbon) the oil line into the turbocharger.

TurboKraft sells new braided PTFE/stainless oil feed lines for the 930s to replace the stock ones that leak where crimped, but the check ball is retained at the case's oil fitting, and there is no restrictor used with 3K-Warner or other journal bearing turbochargers.

If the pump is good, it's your turbocharger.
So if the scavenge pump is bad?
Do you sell what I need?
Would be great!
BTW that turbo adapter I bought from you worked very well... but still it's a waste of money right now

Last edited by klefroid; 06-18-2013 at 01:32 PM..
Old 06-18-2013, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
TurboKraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,652
Don't despair, we have seen this same thing when installing a brand new C2T K27-7200, genuine 3K-Warner right out of the box.
Our operating theory is this:
The old turbo is slowly coking up, restricting oil flow. Same oil pressure and volume in, less and less out.
At the same time, the scavenge pump is slowly losing efficiency, seals hardening, sucking less oil per revolution.
Whenever we install a new journal bearing we also
* replace the stock oil supply line -- it is likely coked up some and you don't want a chunk of carbon to come out and block one of the tiny oil holes in the bearings
* rebuild the scavenge pump with new seals & gasket, plus air injection pulley housing seal & gasket
We frequently sell these in kits to people who call/email with this exact same problem, and most of the time a pump rebuild cures it.
__________________
Chris Carroll
TurboKraft, Inc.
Tel. 480.969.0911
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 06-18-2013, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
klefroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 677
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Don't despair, we have seen this same thing when installing a brand new C2T K27-7200, genuine 3K-Warner right out of the box.
Our operating theory is this:
The old turbo is slowly coking up, restricting oil flow. Same oil pressure and volume in, less and less out.
At the same time, the scavenge pump is slowly losing efficiency, seals hardening, sucking less oil per revolution.
Whenever we install a new journal bearing we also
* replace the stock oil supply line -- it is likely coked up some and you don't want a chunk of carbon to come out and block one of the tiny oil holes in the bearings
* rebuild the scavenge pump with new seals & gasket, plus air injection pulley housing seal & gasket
We frequently sell these in kits to people who call/email with this exact same problem, and most of the time a pump rebuild cures it.
I will sent you an e-mail and send me the stuff I need! thanks for your help Chris!
One more thing, if it would be the scavenge pump, would this damage the turbo or is it still usable?

Last edited by klefroid; 06-18-2013 at 01:47 PM..
Old 06-18-2013, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
 
Registered User
 
TurboKraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,652
Unless you've put a lot of kilometers on it with it spitting oil out the exhaust, coking up the turbine side (heat shield, wheel), the turbo is likely undamaged.
__________________
Chris Carroll
TurboKraft, Inc.
Tel. 480.969.0911
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 06-18-2013, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered User
 
klefroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 677
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Unless you've put a lot of kilometers on it with it spitting oil out the exhaust, coking up the turbine side (heat shield, wheel), the turbo is likely undamaged.
Ok, it just had it on idle....
BTW, I've send you an e-mail.

Thanks

Old 06-18-2013, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:24 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2020 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.