Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
does a K27 7006 need an oil restrictor?

We are installing the new K27 turbo and we where wondering if we need to use an oil restrictor?

Old 06-13-2013, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Bump
Old 06-13-2013, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
A very good friend has his wedding Saturday and I'm trying to get her ready by then... I'm the witness or hohttp://forums.pelicanparts.com/ultimate/biggrin.gifwever you guy's call that. So I'm pretty nervous ...
Old 06-13-2013, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

No it does not.
Putting one on would be a mistake and probably shorten the life of the journal bearings in a K27.
The 7006 is more durable than the 7200. I forgot why but maybe the heat sheild in the turbine housing is different or better in the 7006.

A call to Durabilt turbo would answer that.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
No it does not.
Putting one on would be a mistake and probably shorten the life of the journal bearings in a K27.
The 7006 is more durable than the 7200. I forgot why but maybe the heat sheild in the turbine housing is different or better in the 7006.

A call to Durabilt turbo would answer that.
We have been trying without a restrictor and if you start the engine all is fine until it gets warmer after a min or two maybe 3. So I googled a bit and saw a this on e-bay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbo-Oil-Feed-Line-KKK-K26-K27-Turbo-0-08-restrictor-/271212941884?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f258d123c

And so it starts smoking a lot .... even the fire alarm went of :-)

Last edited by klefroid; 06-13-2013 at 12:29 PM..
Old 06-13-2013, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well go for it because obviously you and some bozo ebay seller know more about this than Durabilt, Porsche, and 3K Borg Warner.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Well go for it because obviously you and some bozo ebay seller know more about this than Durabilt, Porsche, and 3K Borg Warner.
wow, First I'm from Belgium and it's not evedent making a phone-call to Durabilt ... that's why I'm asking your advice. I'm just telling what I did. and wondering. btw it's it's almost 11 pm here ... sorry if I made you angry ...
Old 06-13-2013, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm not angry, and I have no way of know you're not in the states. I apologize for being sarcastic and short.

The price is right so why not try it.

The k27 bearing housing journal bearings like alot of clean oil flow though so they can swim in hot oil without making metal to metal contact on the inside and outside diameters and rotate around half the speed the turbine shaft is spinning.

Check your air cleaner and make sure it isn't dirty and resticting air flow or too small and making the compressor wheel run in a partial vacuum and sucking oil past the piston ring oil seal and thrust bearing.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I use a 7006 with no restrictor. No problems with smoking.
You have something else going on.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
mmm, thanks. I think it's an e-bay ripoff ... there was some oil coming from between the housing to... But I have to say that my air cleaner is old but a new one arrived today.
The strange thing is that it is running fine for a min or two and after that it suddenly starts smoking allot ... I will have to buy a new one. something not E-bay ... again thanks for the advice guys!

by the way, these are the thing we changed: 964 cams, header, mufler and yeah that bloody turbo

Last edited by klefroid; 06-13-2013 at 02:03 PM..
Old 06-13-2013, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Old 06-13-2013, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Now you've got me worried. It was probably 6 years ago that I replaced my 3LDZ with the current K27 7006, and at the time I didn't know and presumed that no changes to the oil delivery were necessary. As far as I know, the stock restrictor ball is still in the line. I thought that without the restrictor, the turbo oil return pump would not be able to keep up with the excess oil being fed to the turbo.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Ok Mark, good point you have there... I will check it out soon! I have been reading and reading and some possible other things can cause this issue i saw, Can it be that the scavenge pump is failing? They installed 964 cams and if something went wrong there...
I will do some testing tomorrow but. Any other possible problems or advice is welcome. I will check pelicans tomorrow morning and that's 4 hours from

I still hope I get her awake for the wedding on Saturday!
Old 06-13-2013, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Now you've got me worried. It was probably 6 years ago that I replaced my 3LDZ with the current K27 7006, and at the time I didn't know and presumed that no changes to the oil delivery were necessary. As far as I know, the stock restrictor ball is still in the line. I thought that without the restrictor, the turbo oil return pump would not be able to keep up with the excess oil being fed to the turbo.
Mark, maybe I am reading all of this wrong, but I believe the original poster was asking if an oil restrictor, in addition to the OEM "ball", was necessary when using a 7006 (and the answer to that, as Jim said, is a big 'ole NO).
Old 06-13-2013, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klefroid View Post
mmm, thanks. I think it's an e-bay ripoff ... there was some oil coming from between the housing to... But I have to say that my air cleaner is old but a new one arrived today.
The strange thing is that it is running fine for a min or two and after that it suddenly starts smoking allot ... I will have to buy a new one. something not E-bay ... again thanks for the advice guys!

by the way, these are the thing we changed: 964 cams, header, mufler and yeah that bloody turbo
It is possible that a bad scavenge pump could cause the smoking that you describe (which is very easy to test), but more than likely, the turbo shaft seals, and/or bearings, are bad.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
Mark, maybe I am reading all of this wrong, but I believe the original poster was asking if an oil restrictor, in addition to the OEM "ball", was necessary when using a 7006 (and the answer to that, as Jim said, is a big 'ole NO).
Yo Ronnie,
I made a presumption....or an assumption...which could very well make an ass between you and me :-) Hope you're correct. I probably jumped to conclusions.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I would check the scavenger pump. With new cams installed there is the possibility that the pump is not being driven. It makes sense to me that the smoking starts after a couple of minutes. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The K27-7006 is an OEM turbo for the Porsche 930 (special wishes) and uses the same oil system as the K27-7200 which is OEM for the 965. Same system.
If it is blowing oil verify that the OEM ball restrictor is in place and that the scavance pump is functioning properly. My off the hip guess is you bought eBay junk, especially if all was well before you changed turbos.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

x2
Old 06-14-2013, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Perform a simple scavenge pump test. The process has been covered many times on this forum, but the short form is this:
* allow the turbo to drain into a container
* extend the scavenge line, stick the free end into the container
* start the engine
Oil should be scavenged out of the container faster than the oil drains our of the turbo, at all rpms.
We have seen used pumps work at idle and not at revs, and vice versa.
It is not uncommon during a turbo swap to have to remove the scav pump an install new seals (cover, shaft), as well as replace (or thoroughly de-carbon) the oil line into the turbocharger.

TurboKraft sells new braided PTFE/stainless oil feed lines for the 930s to replace the stock ones that leak where crimped, but the check ball is retained at the case's oil fitting, and there is no restrictor used with 3K-Warner or other journal bearing turbochargers.

If the pump is good, it's your turbocharger.

email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 06-14-2013, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: