Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
car wont run

My 87 930 wont run after initial start.I tried to convert the one fuse that controlled the two fuel pump relays and two fuel pumps. a pelican article by LEE RICE. followed the instructions now when I turn the key I hear the fuel pumps engage the car runs for a couple of seconds and dies any help....thanks

Old 06-18-2013, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Do you have any response in your throttle in that few seconds?
Old 06-18-2013, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
No
Old 06-18-2013, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I'm a bit confused. Your first problem was that the fuelpumps did not work?
Now they work and it's still not fixed? Just to get more info?
Old 06-18-2013, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
No the electrical system on 930s were being over loaded . I wanted to split the load from one fuse to two fuses . I PURCHASED a 3 gang fuse block run a hot wire from the battery to the new fuse block. From the new fuse block I ran a new wire to each fuel pump relays. And cut the wire jumping them together. Tried to start car heard both fuel pumps engage, car ran for a second or two and died..that was Friday, still the same.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta911 View Post
No the electrical system on 930s were being over loaded . I wanted to split the load from one fuse to two fuses . I PURCHASED a 3 gang fuse block run a hot wire from the battery to the new fuse block. From the new fuse block I ran a new wire to each fuel pump relays. And cut the wire jumping them together. Tried to start car heard both fuel pumps engage, car ran for a second or two and died..that was Friday, still the same.
I would try to remove the airbox and press the plate down a bit when you try to start the car ... see what happens then. please somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Two possibilities, neither of which are related to your fuel pump re-wiring. First, check the yellow boost sensor relay in the engine relay tray. Pull it and clean all connections, and if it doesn't fit snuggly then spread the male prongs open just a tad and reinsert into the socket. Second, the speed relay under the drivers seat (retangular tin thingy) - bad connections there can cause starting issues. These relays all work in concert with the devil.

I once had exactly the same issue....she'd start and run for a half second then shut down. Monkeyed with the yellow relay, fixed it for awhile, then jumpered around the relay, then even that wouldn't work, and it ended up being the relay under the seat.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Two possibilities, neither of which are related to your fuel pump re-wiring. First, check the yellow boost sensor relay in the engine relay tray. Pull it and clean all connections, and if it doesn't fit snuggly then spread the male prongs open just a tad and reinsert into the socket. Second, the speed relay under the drivers seat (retangular tin thingy) - bad connections there can cause starting issues. These relays all work in concert with the devil.

I once had exactly the same issue....she'd start and run for a half second then shut down. Monkeyed with the yellow relay, fixed it for awhile, then jumpered around the relay, then even that wouldn't work, and it ended up being the relay under the seat.
That's just what I was willing to say
Old 06-18-2013, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

so you split power to pin 30 on both relays, correct? nothing else?

after it cuts off, make sure you have spark. then pull the connector on the back of the AFM, then piull the wire off the overboost switch and check for 12v to ground there. a test light will work fine for this.
if that is good, your problem is else where.
if not good, i would check pin 30 of the yellow relay. if that is good, jumper 30 to 87a and check the boost sw wire again. if not good, its the relay under the seat.....maybe.
that realy is known for bad solder joints. you may be able to fix it.
last, jumper 1 and 2 on the under the seat relay and check the boost sw again.

now to the 'maybe". i dont have an 87 wiring diagram but i am told there is a fuse that feeds power to the under the seat relay and it is a pain to get to because it is actually in the wiring loom if i remember correctly as i was told. if you think that is it, i will call to find out more about it.
i am told they did not do this until 87.

08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 06-19-2013, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: