Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

AEM Boost/Wideband Failsafe Gauge Install

Gents,

I finally got around to installing this AEM failsafe wideband/boost gauge into the 930. The reason why I chose this gauge was it's two gauges in one and I really wanted to have a boost gauge and wideband in the car. With the AEM I was able to get the best of both.

I decided that I was going to replace the OEM clock with the AEM gauge so I bought an oil/fuel gauge and started to retrofit the AEM into it.

It takes a bit of hacking, cutting and essentially removing all the guts from the stock gauge to fit the AEM. I had to make a few adjustments to the AEM face to get an OEM like fit and finish. I got rid of the face bezel and glued it onto a piece of plastic to achieve the look I wanted.

This is the finished product, looks pretty solid behind the stock glass.

I started off yanking the clock and quickly realized that Im going to need more space and access back there to run wires and what not.

So I pulled all the gauges.

Good thing I did because I realized I have a set of LED lights to install that I got from Etarga.

The underside of the passenger footwell has a perfect access hole for me to run the wires to the AEM gauge. You can find many different areas to tap in for power and ground but for me I already had the necessary wires stripped down there so I just decided to tap in there. Even though the gauge has about 6 or so wires, most are outputs to control solenoids that I wont be using.
Power and Ground is all you need to hook up, plus illumination so its a very easy wiring job.

To install the wideband sensor, I removed the bumper so I could have easy access to the muffler.

I double checked clearance and decided on a proper spot to mount the sensor. Some people may argue that the sensor is too close to the turbo but I didn't see another option for mounting since the B&B muffler outlets didnt have much space nor was I sure the sensor would read accurately.
The worst thing that will happen is that I'll go through sensors quicker than normal.

Having a circular hole cutter helps tremendously, it made easy work of the metal and cuts a perfect circle for the bung.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I busted out my Milleramatic 140 Mig Welder to weld the bung in but in hindsight I should have used my Tig welder for a cleaner, more aesthetic looking weld.

Nevertheless, the Mig did the job just fine, it just doesnt look as nice as I want it.

I ran the wiring as far away from any heat related sources and routed through the rearfender well.

I decided this would be a good time to run the boost line since it would be easy to plumb it next to the wideband wiring. I T'ed into the wastegate line since from what I read it's a reliable source for boost readings.

The wideband wiring is a bit short since it's being run from the back to the front so I needed to extend the wiring. Thankfully, AEM provides ample wiring on the second harness so I took the wire I cut off from there and used it to extend the wideband harness.

I found a hole right by the front drivers jacking point that lead into the cabin.

I snaked both the boost line and harness through the hole and sealed it with silicone.

Here's a not so good view of the wiring and boost line running up into a grommet that leads to the dash.

With the boost line and wiring now accessible, I plugged it all into the gauge.

All the gauges were then installed back again. I'm pretty happy with how the wideband looks in the factory spot.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Powered on, the failsafe has a nice bright display thats easily legible during the day.

However, I still had to program the failsafe via USB hookup to set it up to show boost in the analog display. There's a ton of programmability with the failsafe, you can set your color scale, display settings and a lot more if you setup the failsafe outputs. The gauge really is exceptional in what it can do. You can even datalog with it.

Ill leave you with a closing shot of the new LED lights installed in the cluster with the AEM wideband. I would highly recommend the lights from Etarga as the illumination is so much better than stock.

I'll also post some more photos of the gauge during the day.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Very nice job and thanks for the write up. I may tackle this as well.
1969 Carrera Widebody TurboKraft Custom (Mexico Blue)
2001 E39 M5 Imola/Black-red interior
Old 07-13-2013, 11:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Did you have to order a long harness to connect the sensor to the gauge or just extended the original your self? Good result with the modified gauge.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Wow. Very nice install! Do you have any clearance issues between your WB02 sensor and bumper heat shield?

I'm doing a very similar install on my 930. I really like what you did with reusing a stock gauge housing!

Here's my second version of using a clock housing(sorry for the blurry pic). If I do another one I'll do what you did - use a fuel/oil level housing and keep the glass. Thanks for the idea!

Old 07-15-2013, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Pstl-pete Hello. a question. where to buy these lamps ba7s smd for thank you
Old 07-15-2013, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

Super craftsmanship. The led upgrade looks good too.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaefer View Post
Wow. Very nice install! Do you have any clearance issues between your WB02 sensor and bumper heat shield?
I actually was able to fit it without making any modifications. The sensor wire is touching the heatshield but nothing that I think it bad. I'll try to get photos to show you.

john930- I extended the harness, the stock one was a tad too short.

miquel- Message Etarga on here, he sells them and will set you up.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Very slick. Did you have to purchase gauge, sensors, controls etc a la carte or was it offered in a kit? Looks great.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Perfect timing and great install documentation.

How dimmable are the LEDs? I read through that huge thread awhile back but dont remember seeing a pic with the gauges fully dimmed.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 02-25-2014, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Would you mind elaborating on what you mean when you write "AEM provides ample wiring on the second harness"? Is there additional wiring connected to the gauge? I'm trying to figure out the same situation but I have not yet received my gauge.

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-25-2014, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: