Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
Just did a little research and found out mine wasnt compatible with TIG. So the training at work coupled with today killed it.
I didn't even know there was a difference between mig and tig when talking helmets.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 01-03-2014, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #201 (permalink)

Well had some more practice welding today making progress. have the flat welding down ok but a fillet weld with 1/8th tubing to 3/8th plate escapes me still. either cant get propper fusion or i blow a hole in the tubing.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 01-04-2014, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #202 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJF View Post
There is no compatibility with TIG & MIG as far as helmets. Typically welding aluminum you would want a 13 shade lens as the aluminum welds brighter than steel. Steel on the other hand is typically a 10 shade lens. And that goes for ARC,MIG and TIG. Only BRAZING or using a torch will only need googles and typically a 5 shade on them. If the helmut can't filter above 10 or 11, and you weld aluminum you could risk slight flash burn on the eyes (sunburn). Not good. Incidentally, I started this post referring to standard NON- AUTO DARKENING HELMETS, so people new to welding would have a basic understanding of the lenses needed for an entry level helmet. All auto darkening helmets have adjustments for shade typically 8-15 and sensitivity adjustment for the reaction it auto darkens. This is a huge benefit having a auto darkening as you don't need to swap lenses all the time. Before auto darkening helmets I had (2) identical helmets, (1) for aluminum and the other for steel. I still keep them around as a back up. Even though you have the auto darkening helmet and the biggest advantage being that you don't have to flip your helmet before striking your arc. You still tend to flip the helmet up and down quite a bit. It is a mixed topic but they do come in handy. They really aren't a necessity but rather a luxury.
The issue was the fact that it was an older version of an auto darkening lens and some of those could not handle the high frequency EMF which ultimately ruined it. The newer onse are shielded from that.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 01-04-2014, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #203 (permalink)

Quote:
The flange will be where you want to start your heat, the tubing doesn't hold heat as it is thin. start your heat at the flange and add filler rod at the flange and let the heat flow from the flange to the tube. Do you have a foot pedal?
Yeah i have a foot pedal .I was trying to do that with the heat on the plate but with limited success. Also I have spent years gas welding and brazing. So I have a habit of pulling the torch back a little to reduce the heat. Which obviously doesn't work with TIG. So i just need more practice to unlearn some old habits.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue

Last edited by Ken911; 01-04-2014 at 08:00 PM..
Old 01-04-2014, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #204 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsveb View Post
I didn't even know there was a difference between mig and tig when talking helmets.
Some of the older auto darkening ones couldn't handle the HF interference from the TIG. Which will make it non functional.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 01-04-2014, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #205 (permalink)

Just had to check in and see how the welding was going.

Newer helmets also have more sensors to trigger the lens. Sometimes the old helmets wouldn't darken because of low amp TIG welds, or the weld flash getting covered slightly.

I bet that 180 is set to the max to start a puddle on 3/8"?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #206 (permalink)

no i had it set for 108 amps because the tubing is about 1/8 inch. haven't done any practicing last couple days been too windy. also realized i need a gas lens which i got on Friday but they were out of stock for the cups which i have to wait till Monday. I'm also going to take the trouble to make a couple extra flanges to practice on.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 01-11-2014, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #207 (permalink)

Thanks i think that was part of my problem last weekend i needed the gas a little higher. been welding on scraps but i need to learn socket welds so I made one flange this evening make another in the morning. just a piece of plate with the holes for the tubing drilled. didn't waste time profiling it or drilling the bolt holes.

05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 01-11-2014, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #208 (permalink)

That's a really nice offer GJF! I didn't know you are in south Florida. I would love to see your car and the fab work you did in person sometime.

Hang in there Ken. Learning to tig isn't easy.

Sometimes it really helps to have a pro look over your shoulder so they can see exactly what's going on and help from there.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #209 (permalink)

Quote:
no i had it set for 108 amps because the tubing is about 1/8 inch. haven't done any practicing last couple days been too windy. also realized i need a gas lens which i got on Friday but they were out of stock for the cups which i have to wait till Monday. I'm also going to take the trouble to make a couple extra flanges to practice on.

Gas lens with about a #7 cup and good gas flow like GJF pointed will help a bunch.

Put the torch at a 45 degree angle to the joint, now angle up vertical a little so you're pointing more at the flange, then pull the torch away from the tube about 1/8". Start the puddle there (as GJF mentioned). Feed in rod and move the puddle towards the tube. You'll get it.

You may need to up the amps a little more to get the puddle to start quickly. I was welding a 1/4" solid flange to 1/16" tube and set the amps to 160 for a quick start. Back off the peddle once the puddle starts.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #210 (permalink)

Aluminum Weld

Aluminum bumper support I whipped up to replace the heavy shocks

1/4" flange, and 3/8" machined end plug with 1/16" tubing.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #211 (permalink)

Quote:
Too bad Homestead is so far away. Your more than welcome to come up to West Palm. I can set you up on my Sync Wave.
Thanks I really appreciate it. I turned up the gas some it certainly helped. still had it act up and screw my puddle up every time the wind gusted but not too bad. Next weekend try some more with the a gas lens. it should help even more. So today I welded the two thick wall tubes together for making the twin bungs in the intakes. It looked enough better that I'm not afraid to take a picture lol. I welded them together with a 1/8 spacer. Then filled it in so they will grind out flat when I'm done. So part of the crappy beads are from me filling in the low spots.
And the porosity is from the wid gusting.

05 Cayenne S lapis blue

Last edited by Ken911; 01-12-2014 at 02:38 PM..
Old 01-12-2014, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #212 (permalink)

here are a couple after filing it down and as you can see I still have a few more low spots to fill with weld build up.

05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 01-12-2014, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #213 (permalink)

I was afraid of over heating it and melting the tubing. A couple times it started getting too hot and was warping pretty bad. My first pass the bead looked pretty good but the second was to fill it which is why it looked like i was brazing. I still have along way to go though. The tarp is a good suggestion was thinking about it but didn't have one or the time. Another thing I need to improve on is getting the tig tip in the puddle. Also not to try and keep welding after but stop each time and regrind the tip.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 01-12-2014, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #214 (permalink)

Quote:
You never want the tip IN the puddle it contaminates the tip...... You want it about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch away. Try resting you hand on a block of wood or something that can handle the heat and not get too hot, so it helps you control the torch. Try thinking the torch is a pencil that you can't touch the tip to the material.
Yeah i know it isnt supposed to be in the metal. I kept getting it in there and then of course have to stop and re grind the tip each time.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 01-13-2014, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #215 (permalink)

I'm never offended with constructive feed back so don't worry. I work at a nuclear power plant so I learned a very long time ago to always appreciate feed back. I got some training at work on a synchrowave in the welding lab with our welding instructor. The thing is the tips for those are done differently than for an inverter machine. On an inverter machine instead of pure tungsten you use ceriated tungsten the grind it to a blunted point, which supposedly controls the heat at the tip better than a ball point or a sharp point. I got that part from one of the on-line training videos on the miller website. And the book that came with the welder. I am getting better though have the foot pedal coordination better and haven't been pulling the torch up as much. Also the set of 1.5 cheater lenses in the welding mask help a lot lol. i think with the cups for the gas lens later this week i'll have every thing i need to do it correctly. At that point i wont have any more excuses other than a lack of skill.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue

Last edited by Ken911; 01-13-2014 at 07:18 AM..
Old 01-13-2014, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #216 (permalink)

Quote:
Also the set of 1.5 cheater lenses in the welding mask help a lot lol.
I'm laughing with you on that one...lol

Always trying to get the puddle in that perfect focus zone.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #217 (permalink)

lol yes no hair on the palms so pretty sure my gradual blindness is due to age.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 01-14-2014, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #218 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Chain fence eating turbo

Yep, a misconception with TIG welders is a sharper tip means smaller arc, it's actually opposite. Blunter tip makes a smaller arc for more precise welding.

Used to oversee welder certs for welders in aviation.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #219 (permalink)

Well i got some more practice in today used a gas lens instead of a regular collet. Makes it easier. I filled all the low spots in the two tubes that I welded together last week. will grind it all out tomorrow then start cutting it up to make bungs out of them.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 01-19-2014, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #220 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: