Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
If you look at the link, you'll see how they adapted one of the OEM porsche plenums for this system. I suppose the plastic plenum is probably not up to boost, but this guy can make one up for you in carbon fiber:For Sale

Could this be an alternative to the aluminum plenums that I always see used the ITB turbo set ups?
It could be. Historically Porsche's plastic manifolds stand up to more than 1bar boost, we've done that on the 964, 993, 996, 986.

We've used the aluminum GT3 manifolds and they clearly work with boost. Adapting the GT3 manifold isn't a simple bolt-on, but it breathes well on the op end -- done over 800whp.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 12-02-2013, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #141 (permalink)

The thing is though they look too tall to fit under the intercooler. and there is no way to weld supports for the intercooler too them. They look really awsome though i would love to have a set of CF plenums. But it would need to be able to take the high boost thats possible using e-85.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 12-02-2013, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #142 (permalink)

The IC mounts wouldn't be the challenge in my eyes, it would be fitting it all under the stock engine lid and making it reasonably serviceable.

The aluminum GT3 manifold was tall, and despite being shortened sitting atop manifold adapter bases (prior shop butchered some TWM ITB adapter bases) it was already a tight fit between the manifold / intercooler / decklid.

Mounting the manifold atop 6x ITBs with adapters on both sides, on 930 heads, plus incorporating the resonance valve (if beneficial), then adding a sizeable intercooler on top... and making it reasonably serviceable... Not saying it cannot be done, but it would be tight.

Dang. Now we're gonna have to try that on a high power ITB build!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #143 (permalink)

LOL well i'm going to make indivdual manifolds as short as possible the get TWO sets of velocity stacks about 40mm high. then weld the plenums on top of those with a IC mount sticking out the top. The second set of velocity stacks will be so I can tune the ITB's.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 12-02-2013, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #144 (permalink)

Well looks like Santa was here while i was at work. Got my heads back from Xtreme today. They look great, way more open that the previous porting job valves are larger with smaller diameter stems. Exhaust valves are made of inconel. And of course now they are twin plugged. They are un assembled so that I can keep them clean of metal shavings from building the intakes. Also the injector notches were welded up to improve flow and cut for flame rings.

05 Cayenne S lapis blue

Last edited by Ken911; 12-04-2013 at 02:59 PM..
Old 12-04-2013, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #145 (permalink)

Looking awesome Ken! I had Bill work my ports as well. He does amazing work and a really nice guy to deal with too.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #146 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Killer-diller!
Old 12-04-2013, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #147 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocarrier View Post
Looking awesome Ken! I had Bill work my ports as well. He does amazing work and a really nice guy to deal with too.
Thanks yeah great place to deal with. I think i saw your heads there. There was another set of turbo heads on the bench there anyways.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 12-04-2013, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #148 (permalink)

Well I also had a little more progress with the flanges. spray painted all of them because i didn't have any layout fluid but it works pretty much the same. Scribed them all to match the base on the 930 injector spacers so that they will fit the shroud. Ground the first one down on my oscillating belt sander. Turned out OK so far. 5 more to go. Then I'll finish cut the center holes.

05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 12-04-2013, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #149 (permalink)

Nice!

When I made my adapters, I made a template out of .5 lexan and then used a flush cutting router bit to match my phenolic adapers to my template.

I made the template by gluing a 930 intake gasket to a scrap piece of .5 lexan.

I drilled the template and used a couple shanks from two old drill bits to make locating pins so each intake adapter would be a light press fit to the 8mm holes to the phenolic material I was using for my adapters.

I then made a simple fixture on the lathe to mount the adapters. Set the angle of the compound to the angle on inclination between the carrera manifold and the 930 heads. Set a stop on the cross slide for the large diameter and bored them out pretty quickly.

I think you mentioned you have a lathe at work. It makes this process super quick.

If you want to borrow my crude fixture. Let me know.

Here are a couple pictures.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #150 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Ken, I think those heads you saw are Franks....

BTW, looking good so far
Old 12-05-2013, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #151 (permalink)

Oh ok well thanks!!! Just went through a training class today for welding aluminum. Did Ok I have some practice to do then start welding stuff together.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 12-05-2013, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #152 (permalink)

Made a little progress today I put time serts in all the intake and exhaust stud locations. Except one of the heads, some one had helicoiled it. Rather than risk ruining my drill bit for the kit I just ran a tap through those they were all OK. Now i can assemble them in the next few days.

05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 12-08-2013, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #153 (permalink)

Garage
hey ken what pistons are you going with? i was gonna try some 98mm 3.4s but bills super sized valves required too deep relief cutting so i am back to 3.3, but i will make that up with boost. i will post a pic of the turbo i will be using soon. some say mid 700s are in my reach. bill said heads should be ready this week. i am jonesin as all my parts are in my garage with ms3 wired up and ready to plug n play
Old 12-08-2013, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #154 (permalink)

I have 3.4l JE pistons 7.5 to 1 compression. They have valve reliefs cut in them already. He didn't go crazy with the valve sizes bigger but able to use the existing valve seats. I'll of course have to pre assemble everything and check valve clearances and deck heights. I got my first two reassembled. Done for the night.

05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 12-08-2013, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #155 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

What size ports on the exhaust? Sorry if I missed.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #156 (permalink)

1.540 inches
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 12-08-2013, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #157 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbmwguy View Post
hey ken what pistons are you going with? i was gonna try some 98mm 3.4s but bills super sized valves required too deep relief cutting so i am back to 3.3, but i will make that up with boost. i will post a pic of the turbo i will be using soon. some say mid 700s are in my reach. bill said heads should be ready this week. i am jonesin as all my parts are in my garage with ms3 wired up and ready to plug n play
Those Mahle 98s have plenty of material to cut larger diameter, deeper valve pockets. That's not a complicated machining proceedure -- go for it, you won't regret it!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #158 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Those Mahle 98s have plenty of material to cut larger diameter, deeper valve pockets. That's not a complicated machining proceedure -- go for it, you won't regret it!
mine are JE's 7.5 to ones.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 12-09-2013, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #159 (permalink)

JEs are usually made with deeper oversize pockets to begin with, but it needs verification during assembly.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #160 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: