Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

best upgrade for the dollar for a '84 930

Hello,

New to the forum, and I have a 1984 930 that is bone stock. I was wondering what the best upgrade for the dollar is for this car. I was thinking exhaust, but then - which one?

The car has had the engine gone through and the bottom end redone. It runs beautifully! I am ready to leave it alone and just drive it, but as winter comes near (Kalamazoo, Mi.) I am already thinking of stuff to do...

Thoughts?

Pic's to follow...

Thanks guys.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Suspension upgrades are by far the best bang for your buck...IMO.
Best way to really enjoy the car.

Mark
Old 09-23-2013, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Exhaust!!!

Improves driveability, power AND sound; then, suspension.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Most I think would agree that a sport muffler/headers is an upgrade that makes them happy. I did lots and lots and lots of reading on various forums and chose Rarly8
Old 09-23-2013, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
And a turbo upgrade is usually one of the first things people do. I chose a k27 7200 for my freshly rebuilt stockish motor
Old 09-23-2013, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
First, Best Upgrade

Ditch the restrictiver muffler/cat (does your Euro have a cat?). As an added bonus, my '87 ran much cooler with a low restrictive muffler on it.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Welcome to the P.P This is far and away the best place to get solid advice. The collective Porsche brain trust here is phenomenal. And unlike other sites (you know who you are)
it usually comes w/o attitude or ego.
Here's my 2 cents...
Get rid of all the smog crap and put on some headers that will let that motor breathe.
Don't go for the cheap crap. Brian's (Rarlyl8) headers would be my first choice based on all of the positive things I've read. They're are made from 321 s.s which is much better suited for our turbo motors than 304 which is what most of the others are made from. My car came with B&B headers and although not cheep (3 grand )
They're also made from 304 S.S. And while they do provide good performance over stock
the welds just don't hold up. At least they haven't on mine.
Good luck, and lets see some pix of that beast
Old 09-23-2013, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Free up the exhaust backpressure after the turbo. Lots of ways to do that
Cheapest way is take the muffler to a muffler shop that has car guys working and have them do surgery on it.

Gut out all the baffles and weld it back up.
Probably cost about 50 bucks and for that money nothing else you do will have any where near as much positive effect if you're after more power and less turbo lag.
It'll sound nice too.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I would get with an aftermarket exhaust first, RarlyL8, Fabspeed, etc. Then a long neck intercooler and better turbo. After that either a nice set of short tube headers or long tube headers plus an AFR gauge so you know where you are with the car. . Then after that an adjustable WUR and fuel head work. Then a WEVO shifter and front strut brace. JMHO

Edit: Plus ditch the smog system.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Alignment and suspension. Maybe you were lucky but all the 930 I drove when looking had neglected bushings and poor alignment.

My car was transformed with suspension upgrades, especially the monoball strut mount. Wide track on 930 means corner balance needs to be more precise than a regular 911 but it is oh so worth it.

Boost with bad suspension == too much squat. It is exciting but not exactly fun.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilonly View Post
I would get with an aftermarket exhaust first, RarlyL8, Fabspeed, etc. Then a long neck intercooler and better turbo. After that either a nice set of short tube headers or long tube headers plus an AFR gauge so you know where you are with the car. . Then after that an adjustable WUR and fuel head work. Then a WEVO shifter and front strut brace. JMHO

Edit: Plus ditch the smog system.
And then....and then....add a 1.0 bar wastegate spring. Oh....and crank up the ignition timing about 12 degrees or so, but only after you've added the ability to shave off that extra timing when on full boost.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

G50
Old 09-23-2013, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill View Post
G50

Yeah, that's cheep
Old 09-23-2013, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
And then....and then....add a 1.0 bar wastegate spring. Oh....and crank up the ignition timing about 12 degrees or so, but only after you've added the ability to shave off that extra timing when on full boost.
And then when you have broken all the rings from pushing the cis beyond it's useful limits decide to go to EFI. I would just change the exhaust. When you decide to start spending money making mods to the CIS, bigger turbos, etc. Just put that money aside in your EFI fund. A lot of us here have spent a crap load of money doing CIS mods only to finally bite the bullet and go with EFI. But usually after breaking the rings and having to tear the whole thing down again.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 09-23-2013, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
Yeah, that's cheep
The question was "what is the best upgrade for the dollar". Not what is the cheapest thing I can do to my 80's exotic. If that were the questions I may have answered something like... Install some of those sweet hot pink double blade wipers, a heartbeat sticker across the windscreen, and treat yourself to a nice fur coat as an upgrade to the heater.

My 4 speed box was in need of some love when I purchased my car so I personally bought a rebuilt G50, new clutch, shifter assembly, paid to have it installed and after the sale of my old 4 speed parts I was only out of pocket what most on this board have in a nice turbo/exhaust upgrade.

I do agree with what almost everyone above has said, buy a nice exhaust and let the car breath (keep your old parts if your area requires emissions as they can be expensive to replace if you can find one for sale). Just another idea to kick around on one of those snow days.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
[QUOTE Oh....and crank up the ignition timing about 12 degrees or so, but only after you've added the ability to shave off that extra timing when on full boost.[/QUOTE]

How do you crank up the distributor 12 degrees and then drop that off at full boost? Just curious...
Old 09-23-2013, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
If you want to get the party started on the cheap you can have the stock muffler modified by a knowledgeable tech that knows the 930, or purchase a straight through common muffler like a MagnaFlow and have it grafted on. Yes they are both heavy but are fairly inexpensive will allow the power to get out.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Bad LT

My god it looks like I welded on that exhaust manifold flange!

P.S I'd do the exhaust,drive the car for a while and see what pokes its head up for some love first.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
My god it looks like I welded on that exhaust manifold flange!

P.S I'd do the exhaust,drive the car for a while and see what pokes its head up for some love first.
Me too! I will never show a picture of my magnaflow weld job. Works great though.

Cdill: I would almost kill for a g50. But that's just beyond me right now. And beyond most at a simple level upgrade. It's major but I will do it one day.
Worth it? Well you'd know eh

Last edited by quattrorunner; 09-23-2013 at 09:14 PM..
Old 09-23-2013, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

exhaust.
suspension and all that other stuff you can only really enjoy when breaking the law,
the exhaust you hear and enjoy even just sitting at a stop light. besides, nothing like cranking the 930 in crowd and everyone turns to see where the airplane is that just started up.
actually, even with a zork tube, the 930 is not that loud at idle.

i would go with a rarlyl8.
my brother has one of his mufflers( not really a good term for it). sounds quite good. has a lot of popping when letting off the gas, but you can really hear the turbo spool up.

08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 09-24-2013, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: