Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I've gone native

Haha
Old 11-15-2013, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Been having a lot of fun. Was 75 in Tulsa today, absolutely beautiful day. Fixed the passenger seat motor, would not move forward or back. Hit all the seals with Aerospace 303, leather with Lexol leather conditioner and a quick hit of Maguires quick detailer on the exterior. This car looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

Cannot stop looking at the lines. I still need to address the wheels and set up, they are not right. Am not driving like a mad man, but the on ramps are a blast. Pulls like a beast.

Cannot wait for my garage to be complete. Kinda tight quarters in here.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Those look like RH wheels to me. Ask me how I know.
RH Wheels | Welcome

Old 11-18-2013, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

RH 3.6 speedline copy wheel spokes are rounded flat on the surface and don't have the slightly concave top surface reaching outwards from the lug nut holes those wheel spokes appear to have.

FWIW, Speedline and another maker (Kinesis maybe) of those style wheels do have the slightly concave section on the wheel spokes like those wheels appear to have.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Yea, I see now, the concave in the spokes.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

A close up of mine.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Question please. Under hard acceleration, at around 3800rpm, I am pegging the boost gauge at 1 bar. In my previous 930, an 86, would come on gradual at 4000 plus and climb. Also had a K27 with 1 bar setup with a borla exhaust. First, do not want to cook my motor. Is this normal? As far as I know, running k27 with a B&B exhaust, but also a Andial boost enrichment system, which I know nothing of or can confirm. Just wanting to know if normal and ok. Thank you in advance for any replies.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Do you hear the wastegate opening up?
Old 11-29-2013, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
You have a very nice 930, the boost is coming where it should for a werked car. As you stated the boost is pegged at 1bar and does not exceed 1bar you should be fine. I hope you have a guage that reads beyond 1bar.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 11-30-2013, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
A truly beautiful car! Ya done good!
Old 11-30-2013, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Wastegate is operating oilonly. Thank you for the opinion SCHNELE. Operating with the stock gauge. I am not driving crazy, mostly accelerating hard on the on ramps when I drive and not much over 5K rpm. Will take it easy. I will need new rubber in the not too far distant future. Need to address height at that time. Will find out exactly what I have when there.

I have attached a photo. Do not know what all the plumbing is in here. Definitely K27 from the plate. Do not know what the smaller outlet is that is bent to the left nor the braided line. I feel like a noob, but will not know unless I ask. Also, thank you nickyclyde for the comment. Thanks again for any help all.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

The braided line is from that pretty "aftermarket" stainless steel catch can for the turbo oil. The braided line is where the oil goes as it is pumped back into the oil reservoir. The "pipe going to the left" is your wastegate muffler. It's what keeps your turbo from blowing more than one bar (or whatever your spring is) at the motor. Exhaust redirects out of that bent pipe when the turbo will possibly create too much boost.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Just my opinion but i prefer an .8 bar spring with aftermarket headers. Had the 1 bar spring in with my GHL headers and felt I was getting too much max boost too early.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
I've gone native

if your other car didn't have headers, it may not have spooled up as quickly.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilonly View Post
Just my opinion but i prefer an .8 bar spring with aftermarket headers. Had the 1 bar spring in with my GHL headers and felt I was getting too much max boost too early.
I have a Kremer motor that does that at around 2500. It over boosts ( 1.3 ) till around 4K then settles in to 1.1 after. The spec sheet says 956 waste gate which is in perfect condition, so I suppose this is right. It definitely gets more mid range power this way. I would be concerned if it stayed @ 1.3 bar into the 5 to 7K RPM range. Plenty safe AFR at lower RPM and stays good to red line. The broader power range is good especially with the 4spd and you get caught out below the torque peak. It also helps lessen the boost punch you get with a stock 930 as the power builds sooner and is more linear( and controllable).

Last edited by voitureltd; 12-02-2013 at 04:23 PM..
Old 12-02-2013, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Thank you very much Turtle. I know very little of how these cars actually work, but am learning. I appreciate the simplicity of your reply. The first 930 I drove was a stock 83. I was not very old, but still remember the lag. This does seem to be much smoother, boost coming on at a much lower RPM and building gradually till around 3800. As mentioned before, driving pretty modestly. Looking into a driving school just a bit west of Tulsa. Not for racing, but for fun, education and to stay out of trouble.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Skillet just to make sure your wastegate is opening try cleaning the inside of that wastegate exhaust pipe before your next drive. Then after some boosted runs give a feel to see if the inside of the pipe got dirty confirming the wastegate is opening.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Will do.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank you very much Turtle. I know very little of how these cars actually work, but am learning. I appreciate the simplicity of your reply. The first 930 I drove was a stock 83. I was not very old, but still remember the lag. This does seem to be much smoother, boost coming on at a much lower RPM and building gradually till around 3800. As mentioned before, driving pretty modestly. Looking into a driving school just a bit west of Tulsa. Not for racing, but for fun, education and to stay out of trouble.
No prob man... The only thing I enjoy more than learning all the little nuances of these amazing machines is passing along that knowledge to others.
3800 is a nice number to come in at. Sounds like you have a happy motor. I'm shooting for sub 3k to open the wastegate on mine. But RarlyL8 already has the title to my house. Hahaha. Just kidding Brian!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

When my my son was home from school over the Christmas break, I asked him to clean the garage. The 930 had a heavy coat of dust. Knew a nice weekend was just around the corner, but too late. Was in the garage that night on the phone and saw the damage from his good intentions. Looked like a Brillo pad had been worked over on portions of the car. One spot was really bad. Anyway, lesson learned.

I found a detail shop in Tulsa, Executive Auto Detail. Want to give them a thumbs up. What they accomplished is amazing. I thought the car was in really great shape. I had the typical spider web scratches and imperfections that a black car can have. They worked a miracle. Not sure of the process, but car was taped off, multi-step process. End product was amazing, like new. Photos enclosed. They worked the interior as well. Lexol that I used, gone. The shop was very cool. They had some very cool rides in there from mid 70's land cruiser to Porsche to M6.

Long story short, I feel like I have a 25 year time capsule. Car came out amazing and well beyond what I thought possible, inside and out. Did not fully understand what a good shop could do. Was given a great education along the way. If anyone in the Tulsa area happens to be reading this, look me up.

Shameless photos enclosed of end product.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: