Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilikum Turbo View Post
"Resale be damned"...works well if your running a negative return business or a hobby shop.
It's "you're". It's probably a good idea to use correct spelling when slinging mud.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Oh No !!!! The spelling Nazi strikes again !!!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Banned

Ha ha, Cole, I wondered if you would see that! Obviously, my motivation here is different than when I yank your chain.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

And I'm sure you knew I wasn't going to let that opportunity
get by me !!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

does anybody make a kit for a 3.6 turbo conversion? only found a protomotive thing for eleventybillion dollars
Old 10-31-2013, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Bad LT

I might be able to help you out there soon Sam
Old 10-31-2013, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
I might be able to help you out there soon Sam
sweet.. i just know it's going to be all the little things that make something like this into a headache!
Old 10-31-2013, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Bad LT

After having done it with the 3ltr and played around with set up quite a bit I'd reckon I've got quite a handle on the headache side of things.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
does anybody make a kit for a 3.6 turbo conversion? only found a protomotive thing for eleventybillion dollars
What do you think it should cost?

Not being a smart*ss about it, but always curious what people think it is worth.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 11-01-2013, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Well, eleventybillion is a little high. HEHE
Old 11-01-2013, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Well, eleventybillion is a little high. HEHE
Yeah that's true, sounds like a lot to me too.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
What do you think it should cost?

Not being a smart*ss about it, but always curious what people think it is worth.
granted it seemed to be a pretty damn *complete* kit with all the fruit and aftermarket management, but it was advertised for $9,000+ which is a bit steep for me, especially for running only 0.5bar. which seems to be doable with bolt on bits!
another mob that did it required the engine for teardown etc and it looks amazing.. but is also out of my price range
i think if i was going to go down this route i'd start scavenging parts and knock together the pipework .. i feel like the biggest cost would be the tune/aftermarket ecu?
not going to say "it doesn't seem too complex" because i know that will bite me in the ass
Old 11-01-2013, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

If $9k included injectors and converting to MAF or MAP, plus a name-brand turbocharger and all stainless exhaust, I'd say that's a bargain.

Can you piece it all together and build it for less yourself? Maybe, assuming you have all the fabrication equipment and free time.

If you figure your time has value, then the answer is likely no, you cannot do it for less.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Can you piece it all together and build it for less yourself?
i think yes- but it's the knowledge i'd be paying for in a kit i'd say, with the convenience of bolting it on in a weekend. i suspect there will be a few little pieces that would hold me up until i figure out, something they'd already have sorted in their kit. being able to buy some bits separately would be a boon!

at $9000-10,000 for bolt on parts i'm personally better off piecing it together locally over time, makes no sense to pay shipping to have them send turbo/intercooler/piping over either.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
So, I've been giving this some thought.

Why not: MS3 + flex fuel sensor and E85? Stock compression, wastegate spring for boost on E10, blended to some peak boost when using 100% E85?
GT35 turbo, water-to-air intercooler to allow a stock rear lid.
Am I mad? I may yet find out on my C4....
Old 03-09-2014, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
i think yes- but it's the knowledge i'd be paying for in a kit i'd say, with the convenience of bolting it on in a weekend. i suspect there will be a few little pieces that would hold me up until i figure out, something they'd already have sorted in their kit. being able to buy some bits separately would be a boon!

at $9000-10,000 for bolt on parts i'm personally better off piecing it together locally over time, makes no sense to pay shipping to have them send turbo/intercooler/piping over either.
Wish you the best of luck!!!! BTDT many times, and Chris in his 100% correct in his observations. Stef.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by njansenv View Post
So, I've been giving this some thought.

Why not: MS3 + flex fuel sensor and E85? Stock compression, wastegate spring for boost on E10, blended to some peak boost when using 100% E85?
GT35 turbo, water-to-air intercooler to allow a stock rear lid.
Am I mad? I may yet find out on my C4....
Isn't stock compression over 11:1?
Old 03-09-2014, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
It is on paper, though it measures a little bit lower in reality. The beauty of the E85 is it's resistance to detonation. Plenty of people have run low boost setups on the stock compression ratio (supercharged and turbocharged).
I would think that E85, combined with closed loop knock feedback would keep things safe at around 1-1.2bar, which would more then meet my power expectations.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

I put no faith in factory head studs. It's like they came in 2 styles: "putty" or "glass." They either stretch or break. Plenty of posts on this board documenting replacing broken studs on lightly modded 3.3L 7:1 engines.

The factory didn't get it right until the 993TT/993RS fully-threaded studs. And since those are now so expensive, it makes more sense to use ARP studs or Supertec's.

As far as running 11:1 + e85 + 1.0-1.5bar -- well, it's as one of our fabricators likes to say: "it'll work until it doesn't."
Old 03-10-2014, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: