Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
11 years of silence

I've been a member here for nearly 11 years and have never bothered to introduce myself so I figured it was about time to do so.

I purchased a '86 911 turbo back in April and have been on this forum nearly every day since learning something new each time I visit. The amount of knowledge on this forum is truly amazing. I've had a few little issues that seem to plague most of these cars (yellow overboost relay, fuel pump fuses and relays, etc), but have managed to sort everything out for now.

The car was in amazing original condition with the exception of 18" turbo twist wheels and an aftermarket Kenwood stereo. Paint is all original and still looks great except for a few chips on the front bumper which I will be addressing this winter. I re-installed the original Fuchs' with some new Bridgestone RE11s and the car handles and drives much better than with the heavy 18s.

Since purchasing the car I have modified my WUR to be adjustable, added a NHS boost gauge in the clock location, and installed an AEM wideband where the ashtray was. I also installed a single outlet B&B muffler (came with the car) and the car really came to life even though many members here seem to believe the B&B doesn't flow very well. The factory catalytic converter and muffler must create a tremendous amount of back pressure because the B&B made a huge improvement on my otherwise stock car.

So now to my question:
How much performance is left to gain with a higher flowing muffler? How about cutting open the B&B and gutting it as several members have? Worth the effort?

Byron

Old 10-21-2013, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I like that AFR gauge install!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Is that a Whaler in the garage?
Old 10-21-2013, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well now....congrats for finally coming out of the closet! Much more fun lurking amongst friends.

Your 'trick' AFR mount, pretty cool. Fab it yourself? My AFR and boost gauge are mounted in the ex-ash tray as well, but not too convenient for watching boost (one learns to use peripheral vision). I've got this thing about keeping the clock in the clock location, but no defendable logic as to why.

As to muffs...well, I think many people are happy with B&B, I personally use Fabspeed and couldn't give you any comparison. The largest impact is getting rid of the cat converter. My car came stock, but with a cat bypass pipe in a box (tells me something about the 'stock' nature of what I bought, doesn't it?). Anyway, even with the stock muffler just getting rid of the the cat made a huge difference in and of itself.
Enjoy...looking forward to your impressions and continued involvement from this point forward.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, I built the A/F gauge mount out of some composite laminate board and wrapped it in vinyl. It just slides in place of the ashtray.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Byron,

Welcome to the 930 board from another Louisiana-an - - Who Dat!! I've got B&B Headers [with heat] and am very happy with the performance increase!!

Also, just removed my Borla exhaust in favor of the Zork. Love the sound and don't find it too bothersome at cruise...

As far as exhaust is concerned:
1. Started with a Monty Dual Exhaust. Liked the sound but the weight was like an anchor [plus the heat under bumper - didn't like].
2. Went to a Rarly8 Left Exit: was very loud because of the left exit with my DS window down...
3. Went to Rarly8 GT3 setup for rear exit. Helped with the noise, but got tired of the look - as I'm looking for an 80's look.
4. Got a dual exit [4-tips] Borla and liked the look. Sound was much quieter and drove the car back and forth to the F1 race in Austin. Problem was, it sopped some HP!! Considered cutting out the inside, but may just sell it as is...
5. Now, have the zork: Increased HP; Minimal Heat under the bumper and lovely sound [out the back]. "Flammage" is a bonus!!

Hope this helps!! Shannon
Old 10-22-2013, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

NICE 930. Good luck with it. I'm still looking for one myself. Not to many in the Midwest.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Nice afr gauge!
Is that a tell tale boost gauge? If so did you actually get that much boost sometime? Some call it a tattle tale gauge and I cought you
If you have the origional heat exchangers installed there is some improvement available there, you say you have b&b muffler but not the headers right?
I built my own magnaflow muffler and really like it. Not too loud, but has the porsche sound/tone. 3 Inch straight through so no backpressure at all.
Also an intercooler upgrade would help some. Look at turbokraft.
Glad to have you around.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Geez, 1.4 bar on a stock motor. I hear "boom" in your future. Be careful. Just my humble opinion.
Welcome, don't be a stranger

Henry
'76 930
Old 10-23-2013, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Don't believe everything you see. The telltale on those gauges is notorious for 'creeping'.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
The car still has the stock .8 bar wastegate spring and has never seen 1.4 bar. I simply rotated the "tell tale" arm out of the way so it didn't hamper with the travel of the gauge. The "tell tale" arm seems stiff so I thought it may effect the accuracy of the gauge.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
The car still has the stock .8 bar wastegate spring and has never seen 1.4 bar. I simply rotated the "tell tale" arm out of the way so it didn't hamper with the travel of the gauge. The "tell tale" arm seems stiff so I thought it may effect the accuracy of the gauge.
My teltale arm on the boost gauge is like that to. It is on my to do list.... way at the bottom but on the list.

Very nice looking car Byron!

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 10-23-2013, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Nice car! What color is that?
95 M3 Red, 97 540I 6-spd Black
98 Landcruiser, 01 Rav4 (Wife's)
Old 10-24-2013, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck007 View Post
Nice car! What color is that?
Meteor metallic
Old 10-24-2013, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Ditto on the AFR gauge mount. I fabbed up a mount for a Voltage and AFR gauge but it didn't come out anywhere near as pretty as yours.
Mods include: Kokeln IC, GHL Headers, Hooligan muffler, Modified K27 7200, BL WUR, LC-1 & XD-16, Bilstein Sports (4), TRG sway bars, Oversize torsion bars, Strut brace
Old 10-31-2013, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
I've gone native

You should consider marketing that afr mount, tons of guys here would buy one.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt surgeon View Post
Ditto.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt surgeon View Post
In Black
95 M3 Red, 97 540I 6-spd Black
98 Landcruiser, 01 Rav4 (Wife's)
Old 10-31-2013, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Love that color.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: