Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Newbie 91 C2T Help ID turbo

Hello, I posted once before and with your help had my car running in 5 min. First off here is some eye candy. I have been lurking on the site since I have purchased the car 11 years ago. I have learned a wealth of knowledge from everyone here. I am currently removing my cat and replacing with a bypass pipe. The PO told me the car had been upgraded with a Garrett Turbo. I can not see any markings or tags on the turbo to determine what I have under the hood. I have not pulled the turbo so maybe there is some info at the top. Does anyone recognize this turbo. The turbo pictures are not that great. I know that the turbo is not stock as the bypass pipe will not bolt up and will need a flange welded to it. I am just curious as to what make it is. I do know that it pulls hard. Any info would be helpful.

John

Old 10-24-2013, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Handsome car with the Speedline "Alessio" wheels

Judging by the oil drip accumulator beneath the turbo, that looks like one of MODE's setups. Usually a fairly large T04S, ex: 67mm compressor with P-trim turbine, 1.0X A/R turbine.
Don't bother contacting MODE for info, Bob doesn't do cars any longer and doesn't go through old records. (Not being mean or anything, they've just moved on to large scale manufacturing.)

Garret's journal bearing turbos don't usually have an ID tag on them. To properly ID one, it comes off and the wheels are measured.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 10-24-2013, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the info. Was just curious if the PO was giving me accurate info on the Turbo. The turbo is working fine. The car is driven at 6200' elevation so I am hoping getting rid of the cat will help her breath a little better and get a few more ponies out of her.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTurbo View Post
Thanks for the info. Was just curious if the PO was giving me accurate info on the Turbo. The turbo is working fine. The car is driven at 6200' elevation so I am hoping getting rid of the cat will help her breath a little better and get a few more ponies out of her.
Get rid of the cat....it's the single low-cost thing you can do to gain significant performance. You will be pleasantly surprised.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Turbo Rebuild?

Started her up for the weekly warm-up over the weekend. I am getting oil on the exhaust side of the turbo. Dripping and cooking on the exhaust side with unusual amount of smoke from exhaust pipe. From reading here it looks like its time for a rebuild. I believe it to be a Garrett turbo. Who do you recommend for a turbo rebuild? Durabilt, Turbokraft? I am on the west coast. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Talk to Chris... You may be better off buying a newer, more modern Garrett. Likely not too much more expensive than a rebuild.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 01-05-2015, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have Kevin at Ultimate Motorworks rebuild my turbos.
14 535i M Sport
Old 01-05-2015, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Call me at your convenience.
That turbo may be rebuildable (T3/T4s are usually fairly inexpensive), and there may be a drop-in ball bearing cartridge for it -- no re-fabrication or plumbing, bolt it in and enjoy.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 01-05-2015, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the reply's. If I go with a new turbo I am going to have all sorts of plumbing issues. A rebuild would be ideal. Chris, I will call you in the next few days.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: