Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

16Volt - you're going to need to "re-check" the oil level as the oil gauge and dipstick readings are only accurate if the oil is at operating temperature and the engine mounted thermostat is open (that would be at the first skinny hash mark on the oil temp gauge). In temperatures around/below 40 degrees, I have found that this takes a good 20+ minutes of hard drive time, or heavy stop and go traffic, to reach (much longer if just putting around or cruising down the highway).

And congratulations on finding your new car!

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 01-08-2014 at 09:59 PM..
Old 01-08-2014, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)
I've gone native

Be careful overfilling the oil tank. Level should be in the middle when hot, ie t stat open over 150 degrees. Overfilling let's oil into the intake side, IC snd turbo creating smoke on start up among other issues.
You may end up draining some out.
I once lost my dipstick in the tank, when I fished it out, there were two others!
GL
Old 01-09-2014, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
haaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaa

hahahahahahahahahahaa

thanks fer startin mah day off w/ a laff!

Great you can laugh @ yerself like that, so important.

Fretnot, noob owner! Upon doing such mesself (tho not the 1st day, maybe the 1st week of ownership), consolation was found in about 100replies of "yeah happened to me too" - as well as like Chris said - "yeah, I found a few in my tank when I retrieved".

I think it's a Rite of Passage to owning one of these?

I'm impressed you fished it out?! You too Chris. Secret? I see wire / paperclip, but how'd you actually manage to snag it? I debated removing my tank @ that next oil change and quickly scuttled the thought upon seeing what seemed to be involved (many hard to reach screws along the tightly jam packed inner fender). Alas, mine still lurks within the depths of my tank 7yrs later, and my bud fab'd me up a new one (whattapal).

My gauge doesn't come off bottom - seemed to work for the week prior to the donation? Forget. Always wondered if the stick is jamming the sender? Or sender coincidentally failed? I've never really cared, don't trust gauges regardless.

anywho

I'd not stress being down a quart or 3 on a 13qt system, unless you're on the track and even then a quart isn't going to be a huge concern. I tend to favor a tad underfilled than risk overage. Bottom of the stick works for me.

Besides idling not bringing it up to temp, I never (ever) cold start it (esp!) and let it sit and run as it loads it up w/ fuel. Being a fellow jalopy owner/lover tho I'm sure you know this.

Slight hesitation in 4th could be a tad lean, and/or your advance isn't enough. Just some thoughts. Still have a cat? If not, richen by smell / sound in lieu of an AFR gauge with the allen post atop the fuel meter - right=richen, push town and turn in 1/8 turn increments, turn and back off a c-hair to set.

I'd also prob run some Techron thru the tank and give 'er some good WOT time... who knows what PO's habits were - Eyetalian Tuneups FTW!

Good lookin garage... 6er ride height seems better @ that angle.

ps. lol @ nonabsorbent 'rags'! WTF's w/ that lately... huge trend to synthetics... which... just smear things ala Buzz Lightyear (to infinity & beyond). Awesome.

pps. howbout a name in yer sig so we don't have to call you Mr.16volt?

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |

Last edited by krasuskyp; 01-09-2014 at 06:34 AM..
Old 01-09-2014, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)
I've gone native

I used a long magnetic tipped thing, got lucky.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Volt View Post
The exhaust leak is a bigger issue then I expected. Normally I would just live with it but there are significant fumes in the cabin so I am not going to wait to have it done. A different exhaust entirely (Rarlyl8 unit) will have to wait till the fall.
Just want to comment that a leak between the header flange and the exhaust port on the cylinder head should not result in "significant fumes" in the cabin. You may have some cracking on those B&B headers at the welds that is dumping exhaust into your heater boxes, and therefore directly into the cabin heating system...dangerous. You may need to have some welding done - or you may want to upgrade the exhaust sooner than next fall
Old 01-09-2014, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)
I've gone native

yes, def ck that out.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Large Member

Garage
or, could have leak in the accordion heat exchanger pipe that is ingesting the header flange fumes

or both / all of the above 8-)

stumbled into yer blog after clicking on a photolink in your post as I page scrolled:

"If I owned a GT3 I would paint a huge middle finger on hood. It would only be proper."

Hmmmmm... great mindz?

8-)

I've some great street/track time in my bud's '3 and '3RS... Just Not Right, them cars.

Funny, I know no Shannon's... and now there's TWO of youses here? Go figger...

ps. Chris... I thought the dipsticks were non-magnetic? Least that's what I was told after it took ze plunk!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
Old 01-09-2014, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)
I've gone native

you're right, it was actually a long forcepts that I ended up using, the magnet was too fat to go down as I recall.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
well... you are a surgeon! 8-)

and

are they ever "too fat to go down"?

Old 01-09-2014, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)
I've gone native

Yes, I have some of those long disposable lap forceps that come in handy. The magnet I have is kinda rigid and a 1" head on it, not all that flexible. (that doesn't sound right)
Old 01-09-2014, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

^^ awaiting krasuskyp's reply...
Old 01-09-2014, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuge design View Post
^^ awaiting krasuskyp's reply...
reference aforementioned fatchix

Old 01-09-2014, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

On day three of 930 ownership I have to admit to a mild case of post pardom depression. I knew this feeling would come as I noted more things about the paint that annoy me and I miss my completely debt free status. I reminded myself that I bought the best condition car I could afford and that in the big picture this car was still a deal. When that failed to ease my mind I simply put down the magnifying glass, shut the lights off and walked out of the garage waited 30 seconds and re-opened the garage door. Yep, there is a still a Porsche 930 sitting my garage, and that in of itself does not suck. Its akin to realizing that the supermodel that you are sleeping with farts in her sleep and never refills the toilet paper roll. Is it really that big of a deal?

It occurred to me that I have not had my head stuck in the engine bay of a car this much since owning my MK2 rocco, all together not an entirely bad thing. When I finally got home Wednesday I checked the oil a few more times (yes, probably a bit paranoid) after learning that the common consensus is to treat the instructions in the manual as a loose guideline when it comes to "cold" levels . I am now only checking it when the engine is fully up to temperature (first hash on the temp gauge). Oil level is smack in the middle of the min/max marks on the dipstick. The manual suggests it should be near the max mark but I was warned about overfilling more than running low. Any thoughts 911 owners?

I also checked the tire pressures Wed night and discovered some of the root cause for the harsh ride. The rear tires were at 59psi, drivers side front was 32psi and pass was 21psi. I figured it was time to open the hood and check out that nifty Porsche tire pump and start the emergency kit building.

Pull hood release...hmm, nothing. Pull a little harder....nothing. Consult manual to identify which orientation of the lock cylinder would indicate that I am making a fool of myself. Every indication would suggest its unlocked. Pull a little harder....a quick flash back to what a snapped hood release cable feels like and I decide to stop. After a quick ponder on whether it was possible that in the first 24hrs of ownership that I could have been deemed unworthy by the Porsche gods via the dipstick adventure and now this I decide to give it one more shot. Yank hard and pop, hood comes open with the hood release still intact, bonus! Thank you Deutschland. Added lubricate/replace hood release cable to the fix list.

Well the stock Porsche compressor (which is for some odd reason coveted) was not there, in its place was some random pump. No problem, well until I went to plug it in....no cigarette plug, just two bare wires. Confidently I went to emergency kit in the BMW and grabbed its compressor and plugged it into the cigarette jack.....no beuno. It was clear now why the cigarette lighter plug end had been removed. Plugged into the BMW and set all the tires are at 32psi. Additionally I sacrificed a CTEK trickle charger set of battery clamps to enable the pump that came with the car to be operated by a single person with 100% less sparks!

Also in the trunk (frunk?) I found a set of BBS wheel wrenches, adjustable hood prop, jumper cables, factory tool kit and what appears to be a brand new battery. I bagged up all the stuff and started building the emergency kit. I can says with 60% confidence I am now 80% more prepared.

That brings us to day four of daily driving a 930 by choice. Thus far the most surprising aspect of 930 ownership (besides the frankly alarming rate it can build speed) is how easy it is to just jump in and drive. Having driven a few hero cars of the 60s/70s/80s one always seems to leave with the inevitable question of "could I actually drive this thing on a whim and not immediately regret it". And honestly this is what drew me to the 930 say over something rarer in same price range (308/328/400i, muscle car or vintage Japanese machine). I really had to have something very "accessible", I did not want something which was great in the garage and crap on the street. The 4spd continues to be excellent to the point where I feel like there is something seriously wrong with the 5spd gearbox in the E24. Granted it has 140K more miles than the 930 but its a complete PITA by comparison. The 930 has plenty of usable torque off boost once warm and its exceedingly smooth and easy to putter along in traffic. When its cold it exhibits all the cranky CIS problems that I am used to from the VW world, nothing which isn't resolved once a little heat is in the motor.

And here is another note which comes as a surprise. There are no oil drips on my garage floor. You heard that right, a 911 with oil in it that is not marking its territory. I spent about $3K sealing up the BMW to perform this same feat. Pretty cool. I am also starting to see some systems "come back to life". When I picked the car up the dome lights were completely inoperable, they seem to work flawlessly now. With no intervention on my part my windshield fogging seems have vanished as well. Seat heaters which would not work now get hot enough to feel like you have a sunburn (they may perhaps be still broken). I think allot of this is due to the car being in a heated garage every night and parking garage during the day but hey, I will take it.

To close out on the subject of fixes. We had some dry weather today (as dry as it ever gets here in Jan) so I was able to explore the car a bit more. I feel that there is likely a spark or fueling issue at WOT, which is strange because the test drive was fine and the car was perfect. Nothing surfaced during the PPI either. I did find today though that at 80% throttle it absolutely rips, WOT it struggles and if you stay in it you will get a complete cut out around 4k rpm. I figured better safe than sorry and swung by Johns shop and got his opinion which was that as the PPI said a tuneup was in order. He wasn't interested in bench racing the problem beyond checking the overboost circuit. I completely agree with the approach, I need to get the car at good maintenance baseline so an appointment was made. In addition to the tune up he is going to check the right rear caliper for dragging and diagnose the e-brake light not shutting off. I also will have him pull the header and fix the exhaust leak, I am going to explore option on replacing the headers should the exhaust in the cabin not change after the leak is fixed. What others have mentioned about crack in the header tubing inside the heater boxes sounds entirely plausible, I'm really hoping its not the case however. I really enjoy how the B&B unit sounds and looks.

And there you have it, four days with a 930. Lesson learned? Shes a supermodel you idiot. Just blame it on the dog and move on with life.

Ronnie - My car in 40 degree weather is at the first hash mark on the temp gauge in about 12 miles. It stays welded to or one needle width below while moving. When stopped it goes one needle width above and never seems to get much hotter.

Do you folks consider this normal operating behavior for a stock 930?

Oil level wise since I now obsessively check it only once fully warmed it is reading smack dab in the middle of the dipstick between max/min marks.

Kraut: I was able to easily fish it out with a paperclip and string.

I have decided that the gauge in my car is largely worthless in its current state. Even when warm and idling on level ground the gauge either reads dead in the red, at the very top or just wavering. I am going to replace the sender before I put any faith in it again.

And the car is catless.

Thank you Pelicanites, what a great bunch of folks you all are.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 01-10-2014, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)
Banned

That seems about normal regarding oil temp in 40 degree weather - in warmer weather, you will see it will get quite a bit hotter, especially if you are in heavy stop and go traffic when the outside temps are approaching 100.

It is the consensus here, and on the 911 Forum, that it is best to keep your oil level between the low and high marks on the dip stick. Like Paul mentioned earlier in the thread, if the level is at the max line, or above, then oil tends to want to belch out of the oil tank breather. One thing to keep in mind, too, is that finding the oil level a bit too low is not a big deal as the system holds around 12-13 quarts in total, so being low a quart or so is of no real consequence.

I enjoy reading your posts, as though I suppose it doesn't really matter with regard to a message board, it is refreshing to see some still show respect for the written word in this day of quick, and extremely lazy, writing styles (Paul/krasuskyp gets a pass from criticism, though, because his posts are so damn funny, and I bang on him enough for his "styling" tastes anyway)!

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 01-10-2014 at 07:32 PM..
Old 01-10-2014, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
are they ever "too fat to go down"?
Not if you're hetero!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)

Good stuff 16Volt.

You'll probably want to change your tire pressures - typically the rears are a bit higher than the fronts. For instance on 18" wheels the factory recommends 36 F / 44 R. I run at 35/43 usually. That said I don't know what people run on the size wheels you run.

And yes - cool to have a car you can just hop in and drive.

Oh one more thing. These cars (and fuel systems) are getting old - and you may want to change things here or there (exhaust, boost, etc) - and I can't recomend enough an adjustable WUR. You can dial in cold starts, cruise, boost AFRs, etc. Contact Brian at RarelyL8.

have fun with the car!
Denver, CO
Old 01-11-2014, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

43 rear 29 front psi with spec tire size 78 onward.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)

Thanks for all the help folks. In the last week there has been some intense forum searching and bookmarking.

I definitely need to give Brian a call soon....

The better part of valor is discretion – 315mi in a 930

I am a huge proponent of the multi-car solution. I learned this lesson the hard way, taking my only car from a stock MK2 16V Scirocco to a 2l 16V turbo charged animal on stand alone. One tortuous time crunched weekend at a time over the span of about 5yrs. I am well versed in the brinkmanship in going from the best of intentions Friday night, despair of disassembly Saturday and the 4am Monday morning thrash because the last “project” ate the last of your “sick” days and you will be at work per the boss. This tests your mettle, bonds of friendship and just how much access to credit anyone who is into cars should sanely have (thank you Amazon.com corporate Amex). Shortly after crossing into my 30s I had for the first time multiple cars and have never looked back.

I told you that story to tell you this one. My garage over the last few years has been a bit of a gravity well. Walking past on the way to work and I find myself invariably pausing to consider if I really want to take the daily driver on that particular day. Some mornings the pull is stronger than others. “Do I want to stop for coffee? The sixer is too low for the coffee hut and has no cup holders soooo”, “Its sunny in the PNW, have to drive the Cabriolet”, “need a refresher on why I love cars, lets roll Rabbit”, you get the point. It’s a good problem to have and one I work hard to continue to enjoy.

Last weekend the PNW saw a bit of windstorm and some heavy rain, no problem, its Allroad time. The right tool for the right job and all that. Well..you see the Seachickens are in playoffs and I was all set to watch the game and do some show and tell with the 930 to some buddies. Queue the gravitational pull of the door to the garage which happens to be right next to the front door (Allroad sleeps outside cause it’s a dirty girl). “Come on Shannon, be an adult, there is no reason you should take a 911 Turbo out in a storm”...no good reason at all.

After much turmoil and standing in the foyer for what felt like an hour sanity triumphed, Allroad it is (pats self on back for being smart). Reach for Audi keys…..no keys…..where did I leave them….I moved the Allroad just last night…then I moved the 911….****. Allroad keys are in the Porsche.

So I am driving a 80s 911 Turbo in a huge storm which is about as nerve racking as it sounds. There is enough water on the freeway to make the front end feel like you have power steering, at about 50mph it’s a pucker factor of 8 for me. Big boy car, big boy power, big time idiot. At one point I watch a C63 AMG blow past me, hydroplane, clip a Sprinter van upon which they both headed off into the woods together. I think it was at this point that even the 930 agreed with me that this was a mistake. I briefly picture the traction control light in the Merc finally getting the last laugh. In the Porsche the only light you see flashing when you do something stupid is that of your life before your eyes. Not maybe a minute later a branch that for all I know was thrown by the Porsche gods themselves smacks into the hood. I’m done. Immediately exit the freeway and finish the last 4miles on surface streets. Once safely parked a quick damage assessment revealed the only casualty to be a pair of boxer briefs. Ill proudly present my wuss card when prompted to do so from here on out and just drive the damn Audi.

In other news, the first visit to Mr.Walker, the 930 Whisperer is on Monday. I have called twice to add more things to the list. I get the distinct impression he is not as excited as I am nor is my checking account. After a bit of research it does seem more and more likely that the cut out under boost I see occasionally is the Overboost Protection Switch. Not that this is new to you folks but for me it was. Given we are dealing with 80s tech here its entirely plausible that I am either getting a boost spike or the switch is overeager. The test for the switch to me is not for the faint of heart however, from my reading it goes something like this. Remove and ground the lead connected to the switch thus bypassing it completely and then go out and apply the loud pedal and see what happens. To me this sounds a little like seeing if a gun is loaded by looking down the barrel and pulling the trigger. No thanks, “hey John can you also…..”.

To close out, while the multiple car solution would at first take lead people to believe that the car project productivity would increase, the truth is unfortunately quite the opposite. Where youth afforded me the hutzpah to says things like “engine swap this weekend and road trip to California Monday, hell yeah”, now old age sounds like “maybe I will tackle the turn signal gaskets this weekend, maybe”. Older eyes see that less is often more. I promise to make discretion my co-pilot from now on…..right after this last dip into boost. Promise.

Some quick facts:
First tank of fuel = 210miles (holy crap this thing has a 20gal tank!)
Most common visual commentary = Wow!
Most common first ride commentary = coo…jesus, wow, brakes, BRAKES, BRAKE, SHANNON!
First Pelican Parts order total = $634.00

What it still feels like on my way to work:
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor

Last edited by 16Volt; 01-16-2014 at 09:53 PM..
Old 01-16-2014, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

Very nice story!

It was quite the rains storm and an even better football game.

There really is no such thing as a bad day behind the wheel of a car you love. Some days are just a little more intense then others.
08 Cayenne S
Old 01-16-2014, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
coupla thoughts...

describe the cut-out?

Overboost switch is like hitting a friggin WALL... game over do not pass go do not collect two hundred dollahs.

cut-out to me is more of a miss... I'd been meaning to follow-up with your post here with this thought but keep forgetting (hey look, a butterfly!). If it's not hitting the wall as per the above and really is more of a miss... pull your cap / inspect / scuff up / reinstall / test. For me the two times I've had a 4k miss like that... it was the cap/rotor both times. Phew.

Will save you some diag crink come Monday w/ yer wrench.

Regarding multiple cars... heh yeah, fersure btdt... some daze worlds collide and all of my jalopies are mocking me simultaneouslike in varying ways shapes forms. Awesome. Being a car guy is grand, ain't it? Hear you too on, gee there's the mountain of to-do projects on all of them... think I'll grab a bier sit back and just look at them all instead. D'oh!

As I've aged, it's assuredly worn upon me quite strongly and I've thin'd the herd. Only to then bump mah feeble noggin and go do something stoopid and go buy something else that alwayz seems like a great idea at the time. No really this time'll be different! >Dammit!<

3kidz / demanding wife exacerbate this weariness by a factor of a quadzillion. Awesome.

Lastly... regarding storm stoopidity... wow that's nuts on the branch, and even nutsier on the C36/Sprinter mating. Yikes. To provide you good company in yer indiscretion, I had mine out in a massive hurricane here a coupla yearses back. Brilliance! First, in a grassy field (read: mudpit later on) @ my annual idiot show (die Vorlage //SFest), and later that night (4:30a.m.) piloting it home traversing downed power lines and dropped trees every mile for 20mi. Genius, I am. Unscathed arrival at least.

So alas, least yer not alone? (d'oh, for you)

Good luck Monday, and hope some of this helps (some, more than others)...

ps. I'm a big fan of inserting that FBDO pic in random posts to convey an appropriate point! Perfect / classic...

pps. 22gal tank (or 22.5 maybe, ferget) - need it for range, as you've demonstrated. Yeah, I and others too seem to ave 12mpg per tank... awesome.

Last edited by krasuskyp; 01-17-2014 at 06:14 AM..
Old 01-17-2014, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: