Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Man, that blows (no pun intended). I can only imagine how frustrated you must be after all of this.

I can only suggest that you've got to be extremely methodical and detailed about getting this put back together and solved. Sometimes I find myself getting excited about getting my own car back on the road. It's easy for me to loose focus in sight of the excitement. I have to remind myself to slow down, inspect, double check and be 100% sure and critical about every detail before going forward.

What kind of air intake setup do you have? Is the filter coming apart? Ingesting debris?

Wild guesses, I know.......

Hope you get to the bottom of this and back on the road!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #181 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
It's laughable now. And kind of embarrassing. I think I'm going to quit updating till I have something to be proud of
My air filter is a k&n atop the air flow meter. It's fine too.
The holset has a sealing/circlip ring that is really only on or off. I mean it is either on or it's not. Or at least I think that's the case.
I'm thinking if buying a new turbine housing. One without the flapper valve because it's a pita to make work and also have a support for the turbo.
And I guess I'll need a other compressor wheel. So it's starting to be a little more money than I thought. I'm taking a break tonight. When I get back to it. I'll be dissbling the turbo again. I'm getting good at removing this heavy lump.
I too get ahead of myself. I also get excited.
I really thought this should be a true plug n play. And for everyone else it probably would be. I probably just want it too bad.
Or, maybe I should step back and look at it from another perspective.... Maybe it's not meant to be. Perhaps I'm meant for a gt30r
Old 12-04-2013, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #182 (permalink)

Garage
I don't believe in meant to be, persevere, you'll get there. Appreciate the honesty I know how those mistakes hurt ones pride. Been there.

For turbine housings, have a look at bullseye housings. That is what I'd ( a 0.70) use if, let's say I happened to have a hw-40 sitting in the garage waiting for a car that was recently rear ended...
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-04-2013, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #183 (permalink)
Banned

Brando, please keep posting, despite the embarrassment, as I think many are learning from this and I doubt anyone is laughing about it.

I'm sure you know that if/when you get a new compressor wheel, you will need to send the unit someplace to have it balanced. If you don't your newly rebuilt turbo will be toast in short order. Maybe you should give Durabuilt a call, tell them what needs to be done to the turbo, and find out how much it would cost you - then you can decide if it's worth it to you.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #184 (permalink)
Banned

Or maybe all you need for the blades is some of this?!

Old 12-04-2013, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #185 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
Or maybe all you need for the blades is some of this?!

That stuff is awesome!! I'm gonna give it a shot next.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #186 (permalink)

Turbonut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsveb View Post
For turbine housings, have a look at bullseye housings. That is what I'd ( a 0.70) use if, let's say I happened to have a hw-40 sitting in the garage waiting for a car that was recently rear ended...
I would not use small bullseye housing on air cooled 3.0+ engine! It is much more suitable (and developed) for small 2.0-2.4 4cylinder units.

With proper 12 cm2 divided housing the spool is at least as good as GT30R and given the Brandos turbo was close to GT30R being in very much questionable condition there should be no doubt at all.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #187 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Yeah, I think Bullseyes are .55?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #188 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Yeah, I think Bullseyes are .55?
Or 0.70

Quattro, what size is your GT30?
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-06-2013, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #189 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsveb View Post
or 0.70

quattro, what size is your gt30?
.84?
Old 12-06-2013, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #190 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Alright I just went out to look at the turbo. Looks like there is play now in the turbo. Just enough to make the contact with compressor housing.
Here is what I'm going to do, I'm getting another rebuild kit because I think and I my be wrong, that the high oil overload may have played a part in the play it has now? And I'm getting a new balanced compressor wheel for it.
Clearly the turbo was under duress and even so build impressive boost and response. Knowing this gives me hope for this combination.
I'm sourcing a turbine housing with no wast gate.
Question for those who know, will a 16mm housing work with a turbo that used a12mm?
Old 12-07-2013, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #191 (permalink)

Garage
Quattro, I believe you know, I am not one of the experts able to answer your question, however, I think it would work, but you can expect more lag and maybe more top end. I am not sure that is what you are looking for.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-07-2013, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #192 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

That housing is 33% larger, so expect slower spool than the 12cm. But, maybe freeing up the turbine will get the top end power back.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #193 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I don't want slower spool, I can't fine a non waste gate 12mm though.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #194 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

You probably don't want to go this route but Pure Turbos sells brand new Garrett style turbine housings for about $200. Then, take it to machine shop to open it up a little to work in the Holset.

I've done two myself (1.0 & .84AR) and it's pretty easy. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to do.

They chuck up nicely on a lathe around the v-band.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #195 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Jsveb what's the word? Have you had your car to anyone's shop yet?
Old 12-07-2013, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #196 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
Jsveb what's the word? Have you had your car to anyone's shop yet?
Nope, the car is immobile, just sitting in the garage. I am waiting for the insurance to come have a look. My co will be here on Tuesday.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-08-2013, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #197 (permalink)

Garage
Quattro, what's the status?

For what it is worth, here is what I would have played around with had I not been forced to sort out the insurance thing.

Merry Xmas!
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-19-2013, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #198 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I'm working 17-18 hours per day till Christmas which leaves me no Porsche time. I got a new balanced comp wheel and a new rebuild kit. I'll rebuild it again and go from there.
Btw don't get discouraged, stay strong and don't give in. You have a super sweet and valuable car. It's worth it.
If mine got crunched like that id consider it fortunate cause I could get a car that was wide body already.
Kidding, is still be bummed
Old 12-19-2013, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #199 (permalink)

Garage
If I was you, I'd stick with the body you've got. You should see my Carrera 3.0 it looks really tight with CTR type bumpers. It is extremely light and would be a blast with a turbo in it. However, the 915/44 mag tranny wouldn't like it one bit.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-19-2013, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #200 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: