Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
What about warranty/guarantee?

If its only 2 years old cant you take it back under warranty?
If the company stand by their product contact them and they will happily supply replacement and put it down to assembly worker guy nodding off apologize that you were the victim and cover all courier/installation charges

If they don't stand by their product then you bought a piece of crap and you know not to buy that brand next time and you can tell everyone on these forums to watch out for them ....

I know a lot of people swear by their favourite Turbos, but at the end of the day if theres two or three blowing up out of every 500 customers, id call that unreliable
Old 11-07-2013, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
Yeah, old 911/930 and ball-bearing turbos don't belong together I remember reading somewhere in the forums that while 997 Turbo is like a nice college girl, the 930 is like a dirty bit*h

Gotta pair the bit*h with a tool that suits it best, like Holset heavy-duty unit
Old 11-08-2013, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Nobody on the planet is going to warrany a 2 year old turbo of any kind.

Turbos live in a formidable environment and depend on engine oil (and coolant for non-930) to survive. Proper clean lubrication of the correct viscosity and volume is critical. Use of those critical items are out of the manufacturers control.
BW/KKK and Holset turbos are more robust than most. In the turbo world you get what you pay for.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry to hear about all this but I just spit out a sip of coffee laughing at this. "Someone from band!" So true. It's a great analogy!
My 7006 has been on since the Reagan administration, and looks it too. Maybe a little oil in the intercooler but she puts out every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
Normally I get excited when I need a new toy and I get to shop. But not this time. I was pretty attached to this turbo. Liked it a lot. I feel let down, confused, almost like I would feel if my wife was stepping out. I'm serious, I know it sounds ridiculous and it's only a turbo but I've been swinging for this lump for a while and jonesing for a turbo of this caliber for like ever. Now I have it and it's not what I thought. I mean it was till it stepped out, cheated in me.
That dirty rat!
Well I'll show it, I don't need that prom queen. I'll go for something I can count on. I'll get someone from band. She'll never leave me. She'll just keep on giving and giving. And I'll learn to love her too. You'll see.
I'll let you know who I bring home next. She may not be as pretty, but you can bet she'll be reliable.
Stay tuned.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceboy View Post
Yeah, old 911/930 and ball-bearing turbos don't belong together I remember reading somewhere in the forums that while 997 Turbo is like a nice college girl, the 930 is like a dirty bit*h

Gotta pair the bit*h with a tool that suits it best, like Holset heavy-duty unit
Raceboy, I know this has been discussed before, but I'd like to hear your opinion on what the best suited turbo would be. I hope Quattro doesn't mind..?

For a 3.0 and a 3.3 930 please?..?

Holset:
Borg Warner:

I have been looking and researching, trying to learn more about the science of boosting.
TurboKraft are getting great results from GT(X) etc. no one can deny that, and rarlyl8 sticks with proven K27 type turbos, also with convincing results. I have heard a lot of good things about borg warner on DSM type websites.
What to choose?
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 11-08-2013, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsveb View Post
Raceboy, I know this has been discussed before, but I'd like to hear your opinion on what the best suited turbo would be. I hope Quattro doesn't mind..?

Holset:
Borg Warner:

I have been looking and researching, trying to learn more about the science of boosting.
TurboKraft are getting great results from GT(X) etc. no one can deny that, and rarlyl8 sticks with proven K27 type turbos, also with convincing results. I have heard a lot of good things about borg warner on DSM type websites.
What to choose?
Not at all. More good input the better.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Chain fence eating turbo

There's a lot of people who claim you can get a journal bearing to spool as soon as a GTXXR Garrett. With my sample size of 1, I'm really confident that is NOT true if similarly spec'd (turb exd mm, AR, T flange).

But, there are other brand compressors of the same size as Garrett's that make more power and turbines that free more hp than Garrett's GTXXR line of turbos.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Turbo shootout results: BW S256 vs GT3076R - Honda-Tech
Old 11-09-2013, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I read that comparison. It was pretty complete and detailed.
I noticed odd things like the difrence in weight. The Borg weighs twice? Wow. Good power but not as quickly.
I actually wanted the bw turbo more before I read it. Size and weight on the back of my car matter. I don't know.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Yeah, lot of people claim the BW's spool as quick as the Garrett BB's. Highly doubt it. Have read some that proved it though (on other makes) but not on our cars. I don't believe that would be true.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I still like the holset.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Found this interesting white paper on garrets web site about water cooling ball bearing turbo chargers.

Thought it might be of some interest.

Garrett white paper | Turbo white paper
Old 11-09-2013, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Found this interesting white paper on garrets web site about water cooling ball bearing turbo chargers.

Thought it might be of some interest.

Garrett white paper | Turbo white paper
Great read, thanks! Interesting that the natural scavenging effect allows one to run water cooling without a pump.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Banned

^^^ Yep, that is a very interesting write-up. I think that it is equally interesting that the reasons they give for needing water cooling on their turbos (heat after shutdown) are virtually the same reasons given by turbo builders who say not to use any kind of turbo blanket/wrap (though some people here use them and say the concerns are BS).

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 11-09-2013 at 09:17 PM..
Old 11-09-2013, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsveb View Post

How much power are you after? That would be the first guideline to the turbo choice (as always), but trick with Holsets is that they are not very effective at boost pressures below 1 bar so there is no point in running a HX50 at 0.7 bar for example.

For 3.0 (with stock internals) I would choose HX35 (12cm2 divided turbine) or HE341 (9cm2 undivided turbine, newer version of HY35 found on 2002-2004 RAM Cummins CR engines). These put out easy 400+ hp @ 1+bar. Spools full boost @ 2700-3000 rpm.

For built 3.0 or 3.3 with more hp in mind, HX40 (and 7blade) with 16cm2 turbinehousing is a proven choice and supports 600+ hp @ 1.4-1.5 bars of boost. Full boost avaliable @ ~3000 rpm.

Note: boost treshold can be significantly reduced with dual-chamber electronic boost control, stock 930 wastegate is very good at that btw.
Also spool characteristics depend on max boost target unless you are using twin-chamber control.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Nobody on the planet is going to warrany a 2 year old turbo of any kind.

Turbos live in a formidable environment and depend on engine oil (and coolant for non-930) to survive. Proper clean lubrication of the correct viscosity and volume is critical. Use of those critical items are out of the manufacturers control.
BW/KKK and Holset turbos are more robust than most. In the turbo world you get what you pay for.
In Oz a 12 Month Warranty is the average (Australian Consumer Law) with many offering 2 years
might be good idea to get someone to buy in oz, post to US if it fails send it to the contact in OZ for warranty?
Might be worth it for some who fork out big bucks
Old 11-10-2013, 12:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Really? I cannot imagine such a thing. You hand a new turbo to Jonny Riceburner who slaps it on with no reguard to oiling specs and it blows as soon as the car starts up. That could bankrupt you pretty quick! Power to AUS if they can do that and not have turbo pricing go through the roof.

Bottom line for me on turbo spool-up is the RPM at 1.0bar boost. We see it at 2700rpm with the common K27-7200. With a J-pipe the 7200 spools to 1.0bar by 3100rpm. The supporting engine and exhaust work is what drives the last 400rpm down. Can any other turbo capable of supporting 375whp do significantly better than that AND last 100,000 miles?
If so I'm all ears.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I read the white papers. It seems clear that my failure was because of the lack of water cooling. And this is troubling to me because I took advice from some here that the chra didn't really need it.
Others in the know along the way didn't agree but I chose to not listen to them because my friends here on this board told me I would be fine. Well it took almost two years and at least 15,000 miles to break, but heat and wear associated with heat have won. This should be of note to anyone with a Garrett not water cooling it. 2 years and 15k miles might be fine to them, but not me.
So, it seems the failure in fact is me related, not Garret's problem.
I believe the Garrett to be a fine tool, but probably not a perfect choice for our oil cooled cars. If I can salvage the housings, I may just take up the offer of my seller and take the chra at a reduced cost and build a water cooling system. If it's a good enough system, I could use air water Intercooler too and fit a ducktail.
This winter I'll be installing my ac system, wide body, and painting the SLB, turning it into a proper turbo in appearance, and making all the provisions for a/c as well as incorporating even more heat exchangers for water to flow for the first time in my car. I have mixed feelings, but what are ya gonna do?
Old 11-10-2013, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

What is really interesting is you don't even need a water pump. Set the CHRA at the proper angle, add a small water tank, plumb up fittings, and you're done.

Maybe give Garrett another shot and ignore advise from here.

We can only offer opinions from experience I guess, not from a test lab under strict controls.

Sorry to hear you're upset with board as I would be too.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
... or you could save a lot of money weight and fuss and just buy a turbo designed for an air cooled engine.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: