Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
What mm is the inducer for the compressor? 56?
I'm still largely turbo illiterate but getting smarter.
Gere is what I think you mean by inducer.

And here are some other measurements.

Still PB blasting and hammering but tight as a drum still. I'm going to add heat from a rosebud torch soon unless someone tells me not too.

I recieved most everything else I need today. Waiting on the Flapper cover/backplate so I can weld on the V band flange and I'm ready. SHould be tomorrow I hope for the flange.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:

Quote de Tippy

What is really interesting is you don't even need a water pump. Set the CHRA at the proper angle, add a small water tank, plumb up fittings, and you're done.

This is how coal heated houses before electric circulating pumps. Hotter water naturally rises and displaces the cooler water which then gets hotter, etc etc.

I've just never seen an automotive example before. Have you? Any links?
Garrett white paper | Turbo white paper
Old 11-15-2013, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Hmm, I thought HX35's were all 56mm. That one you have appears to be around 53mm??

What hp goals were you shooting for?
Old 11-15-2013, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Well not over 350.
It's not high power I need. It's good boost speed and no fall off ever till redline.
That's what the Garrett did. It did a great job so this would have to be as good or better for me to keep using it.
BTW I can't seem to get that center section separated from the turbine housing to clock it.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
Banned

Here's what you need to clock that big bisch!

Old 11-15-2013, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

BFH Ronnie!

Ok, that turbo should easily make that plus and spool really great.

Now I'm really wanting to hear your results and impressions comparing both.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Here's what you need to clock that big bisch!

In the end that's pretty much what it took.
Ok. It's off.
Now the fun begins. But not tonight. Senior playing football tonight. So it's Friday night lights for us. Maybe tomorrow. I'm excited.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
All clean and ready for action. Well almost ready. Waiting for the back block off plate and that's it.
Time to clock it, tighten up and Boost.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Love the wrinkle paint! Very nice. How'd the ultrasonic do?
Old 11-16-2013, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Ultrasonic's are great. I have them for Jewelry cleaning mostly and the odd car part
The ultrasonic will remove stuff like caked on dirt, grease if the right cleaning solution is used, and gives a sort of renewed feel to all the parts. sound waves get everywhere, not just what you see and that's what I love about them. With jewelry it's very hard to imposable to reach everywhere needed to properly clean under diamonds or jewels and the ultrasonic has been used for over 50 years to do that. Wish I had a big tub sized one but they're crazy expensive.
I love wrinkle painted engine parts because it gives a factory look and keeps things subdued. I really don't like bright shiny bits or colored anodized parts if I can get away with it.
Simple aluminum or black and wrinkle black for me.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
Ultrasonic's are great. I have them for Jewelry cleaning mostly and the odd car part
My friend, I didn't figure you for a jewelry wearing, bling-a-bling, type of guy?!
Old 11-16-2013, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I don't wear Jewelry but I make it. I'm a custom Jeweler.
I can make you one of these in gold, platinum or silver.

Pelican content

Old 11-16-2013, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Banned

Nice looking piece! And by the way, it looks like your hand needs some time in that ultra sonic cleaner!
Old 11-16-2013, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Dirty work between wrenching and jewelry work.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

Garage
Nice progress in the turbo.

Shoot a picture once you got it all together before installation.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 11-16-2013, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)
Brando

Garage

Here's a picture of the turbo. It wasn't finished because I ground the vband flange afterward and secured it on the turbo and the turbo to the car. Everything clears but it's close on the compressor side.
I had everything needed hose wise and couplers with required clamps wise because I horde. This is why I order more and keep everything. Only thing I find I need is the an-6 female straight fitting because I'm using a drip tank now. It's a different angle. I'm waiting for the gaskets and the fitting along with the block off plate. Monday maybe.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
It spins.
I'm waiting on a couple things. Oil seal gasket for drain, block off plate and that's it.
I have oil, plenty of oil, lots and lots of oil.
I'll weld that valve closed before I install the plate and flange.

Question: shouldn't the turbine stay spinning at least a few seconds after shut down? This turbo spins and seems fine but doesn't seem to spin as freely as it should? Turns freely with the finger sure but the Garrett audibly spun for almost a minute after shutdown. This one stops quickly.

Last edited by quattrorunner; 11-19-2013 at 08:50 AM..
Old 11-18-2013, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Question: shouldn't the turbine stay spinning at least a few seconds after shut down? This turbo spins and seems fine but doesn't seem to spin as freely as it should? Turns freely with the finger sure but the Garrett audibly spun for almost a minute after shutdown. This one stops quickly.
What you have described is one of the differences between journal bearing and ball bearing turbos, right (less drag with the ball bearing setup)?
Old 11-18-2013, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
I just didn't think the difference would be so pronounced.
It was exciting to start the SLB up again. Fired instantly.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I just didn't think the difference would be so pronounced.
It was exciting to start the SLB up again. Fired instantly.
I bet is was!

I'm not a turbo expert like some on here, but in my limited personal experience, journal bearing turbos' wheels stop fairly quickly.

And I didn't see any evidence of JB Weld in your video - what's up with that?!

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 11-18-2013 at 09:14 PM..
Old 11-18-2013, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: