Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Jesper,

Glad you are alright. It bears repeating: go to a doctor and get really checked out. Been there, too; injury from accidents often pop up later, and this is plainly the other guy's responsibility.

Absolutely collect real market value on the car, and document it. Hagerty is a great source, and Excellence also runs market value reports annually or semi-annually. IIRC, in one report Bruce Anderson stated something to the effect of "add 10% for rare editions (ex Slantnose), 10% for rare options (ex: sunroof delete, cloth seats), 10% for exceptional condition (ex: fresh engine & paint)" If the value of a plain 930 was $58.4k, that would put your car closer to $69k or more. Have those receipts and high quality photos ready to show that your collectible car was really in the condition your are claiming and worth your claimed value. Hopefully your State Farm agent is really on your side and willing to go 10 rounds with the other guy's insurance to make this right. Too often they aren't, they want to settle fast and move on, so keep him/her on a short leash.

On to the car -- I've seen a lot worse than that brought back to 100%. Frame rack for sure, and a shop experienced with this generation Porsche will get it completely straight, no issues. Fortunately you are in an area of the country where there are many highly experienced shops. If you don't have anyone you are happy with now, email me and I'll give you some names of shops to start calling.

email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Wow sorry to see this.
Makes whatever troubles I have seem trivial.
It could be worse, you could be disabled or worse, glad your not.
I hope to see that car back 100% as quickly as good work permits.
I don't have much experience here, just hope it works out as well as possible.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

sorry to hear...and see

i almost got rear ended yesterday.
slammed on brakes for an ambulance and i did not check my mirror first. when i looked back i saw blue smoke and this old crappy pickup. he stopped, but closer than i wanted. i did role forward just a tad. thank goodness he was not tailgating me or it would have been all over.

good luck,
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 12-04-2013, 03:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Jesper,

Glad you are alright. It bears repeating: go to a doctor and get really checked out. Been there, too; injury from accidents often pop up later, and this is plainly the other guy's responsibility.

Absolutely collect real market value on the car, and document it. Hagerty is a great source, and Excellence also runs market value reports annually or semi-annually. IIRC, in one report Bruce Anderson stated something to the effect of "add 10% for rare editions (ex Slantnose), 10% for rare options (ex: sunroof delete, cloth seats), 10% for exceptional condition (ex: fresh engine & paint)" If the value of a plain 930 was $58.4k, that would put your car closer to $69k or more. Have those receipts and high quality photos ready to show that your collectible car was really in the condition your are claiming and worth your claimed value. Hopefully your State Farm agent is really on your side and willing to go 10 rounds with the other guy's insurance to make this right. Too often they aren't, they want to settle fast and move on, so keep him/her on a short leash.

On to the car -- I've seen a lot worse than that brought back to 100%. Frame rack for sure, and a shop experienced with this generation Porsche will get it completely straight, no issues. Fortunately you are in an area of the country where there are many highly experienced shops. If you don't have anyone you are happy with now, email me and I'll give you some names of shops to start calling.

Hi Chris

Thanks for chiming in.

I wasn't planning on letting anybody but me work on my car, so I don't know any shops in this area. The only one I have heard of that I would consider is all the way in AZ...
I will be sending you an email, thanks
I am looking at valuation and would still appreciate any input some of you guys might have. I think it is obvious (still) when looking at the car, it was in perfect condition. In fact, I would say, the only thing separating it form concours was a weekend of cleaning, but being a pelican that weekend is spent changing oil and messing with control pressure etc.

on the options, forgot to mention. Turbo badge delete. The original owner was surely aiming for a stealth look.

Quattro, yes this surely sucks big time. Though risking sounding like a complete sob, when I came home, my three year old boy was all upset that daddy's Porsche was broken and being towed, could we fix it? He loves that car. Constantly runs around with a black 911 turbo and a red Carrera GT in his hands.

Appreciate the feedback and support. Keep it coming, I am trying to lay out my strategy...

T77911S, this guy never even touched his brakes I remember thinking, no, really. Smack.
www.stauningwhisky.dk

Last edited by jsveb; 12-04-2013 at 03:24 AM..
Old 12-04-2013, 03:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

Jes,
I'm really sorry to hear this. If your interested I have a shop for you in the L.A. Area from when I lived out there. They do flawless work! I mean Flawless. They just fixed my friends 86 carrera. it was an original paint car and he was completely rear ended / side swiped in traffic by a SUV, now its not original paint but its perfect as it never was hit! Give me ring or I can txt you the info.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 12-04-2013, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

And I'm with Chris on this one, I've seen much worse brought back from the dead! Your car should be an easy job for an experienced shop.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 12-04-2013, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I don't think it will be totaled as the car should be able to be pulled straight. Just get a good shop to do the work. You'll also need to get a shop to look at the motor and see why it started smoking.

Please see a doctor and get some xrays taken to make sure you do not have any injuries.
14 535i M Sport

Last edited by WPOZZZ; 12-04-2013 at 04:41 AM..
Old 12-04-2013, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Canepa Design is up in Santa Cruz area. Not to far from the location listed in the screen name. They can help with repairs and valuation.

Don't worry as much about the car. Make sure your medical checks out. Been there done that. Having issues MANY years later.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 12-04-2013, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Get checked out A.S.A.P--XRAYS-MRI..

Get a Great Attorney!!!!

It will all work out.

GL
Old 12-04-2013, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfk32 View Post
Get checked out A.S.A.P--XRAYS-MRI..

Get a Great Attorney!!!!

It will all work out.

GL
The other guy's insurance company will probably contact you very soon and want a 'statement'. Be very careful here. They are looking for information to help THEM.

Say nothing. Refer them to your attorney and/or your insurance agent. Hang up. Repeat.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 12-04-2013 at 06:44 AM..
Old 12-04-2013, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Btw you already mentioned the "slight headache and neck pain". Don't forget this. It will probably evolve.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Oh man Jesper, very sorry to hear / see this but great that you're OK. Phew. Hopefully Mr. Coughdrops fared well as well? No brakes? Ouch. Like was said, makes my problems seem trivial.

Nothing to offer here more than what's already been covered, but wanted to provide condolences on your plight regardless. What a shame. I'm astounded the factory produced that color (esp back then!), and you've got it lookin REAL GOOD.

Fret not, as has been stated - you are located within the car Mecca of the Universe and all will find its way right again. I'm sure armed with the info you've got here you'll persevere through the insurance battle. And me, I'm always one to try to look at things like that as an 'opportunity' - as warped as that may sound. While the car's in the body shop you may have the chance to address / correct niggling things that had previously bothered you.

Bummer about your poor son's feelings, that's tough. I'm sure you'll talk him through it.

Also hope you don't end up with latent injury... so many of us are all there in some way/shape/form from prior bodily abuseage 8-/...

Anywho... hang in there, you and your car will get through it...

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 12-04-2013, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I've gone native

Remember, when their agent contacts you it is in an effort for you to admit nothing is wrong with you physically and to manipulate you into a quick settlement at one of their slimy shops. They are recording or writing down everything you say.
Go to canepa, go to a doc, get atty, they are going to fight you on this one bc of the classic car devaluation.
Nada lists the value at about 26k, they are going to use this against you. Here is where a shop like canepa's can help with the proper valuation.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Canepa is a great recommendation -- in the collector car market themselves, concourse level restorations. Call and talk to Kjeld, their service manager.

Jerry Woods has also been around 911s and Turbo since forever, and he's not too far away in Campbell. He's sure to have excellent referrals as well.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 12-04-2013, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
BTW, if you need any help from the so cal contingency, parts, shop vists, info, I'm a PM away. Assuming the doc comes out ok, I would start a regiment with a chiropractor. I used to call my wife's chiro a voodo doctor until he got my kids walking right after the above mentioned accident. After that and a few other things he did for me, I'm a believer!
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 12-04-2013, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Just something to think about is what coverage the other driver had.I have state farm also and was hit in the rear in my 74 911. The person that hit my car had the state minimum coverage money wise. In my case it was above the money they had for collision. So in my case State farms case adjuster came to my house and did the estimate on my car. For a value we used Hagerty and Excellence for values. Good luck and I hope you stay well
Old 12-04-2013, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo951 View Post
Just something to think about is what coverage the other driver had.I have state farm also and was hit in the rear in my 74 911. The person that hit my car had the state minimum coverage money wise. In my case it was above the money they had for collision. So in my case State farms case adjuster came to my house and did the estimate on my car. For a value we used Hagerty and Excellence for values. Good luck and I hope you stay well
Sorry, but can you elaborate a little more on that, I am not sure I get the point.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-04-2013, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Do any of you have the latest valuations from excellence?
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 12-04-2013, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt surgeon View Post
Nada lists the value at about 26k, they are going to use this against you. Here is where a shop like canepa's can help with the proper valuation.
NADA lists his car, given his stated condition of extremely excellent, at $48K. However, they do not account for all of the "extrtas" this car has (rare paint to order, etc)

1978 Porsche 911 Turbo 2 Door Coupe Value, Prices & Specs | NADAguides | NADA 1978 Porsche 911 Turbo Book Value & 1978 Porsche 911 Turbo Market Price

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 12-04-2013 at 03:54 PM..
Old 12-04-2013, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Excellence has 78-79 turbo value at 45-70 K .....In the new buyers guide. Also in my post earlier the person that hit my car didnt have enough coverage... So my insurance company handled everything and then went after the other party for the rest of the money...

Old 12-04-2013, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: