Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Now back to my car:

I know it is difficult to see, but the pictures show the section that was replaced. Carlos promises me that you won't be able to tell it was ever repaired.

Here is what I am working on the garage in the mean time:

www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 03-22-2014, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Garage
Update

Albeit slowly, things are progressing. The engine bay is done, and the engine has been reinstalled by Don Wise:
Don Wise's AutoWorks

Next will be how to continue on paint, which is an issue since this is not a common finish and might pose a challenge to CA restrictions regarding water based paint. I have complete trust in Carlos, Mike, and Dell Autobody. I have seen nothing but fine work leaving the shop.

Man I miss this car, pictures:

As you can see, unfortunately the Borla didn't make it, so gone is my quad tip. I am looking forwards to hearing this thing on the car, oh well...

What do you guys think about leaving the AC lines open like that, is this ok? I know nothing about AC, so I am just wondering.
www.stauningwhisky.dk

Last edited by jsveb; 05-05-2014 at 06:29 PM..
Old 05-05-2014, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

I don't see the open AC lines but it won't hurt anything other than the desicant pack in the reciever drier will absorb humidity from the air and use it up. They are not expensive unless you buy one from Porsche. Ebay ones are inexpensive and do the same thing.
You replace it using new o-rings, then evacuate the system to boil out all the humidity and moisture from the 40 plus feet of AC lines, evaporator, and front and rear condensers that are scattered around between the front and rear of the car.
The longer you evacuate it the better.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Garage
Well. I thought I was gonna get the car back on June 12, but it seems that won't happen. This is now past six month since the accident.

Not only have I not had the car for six months, but now it seems I won't get it for Porsche parade in Monterey. No big deal, except it is once in a lifetime for me to be here while the parade is hosted here in Monterey.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 06-05-2014, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

Garage
Slow progress with corresponding small update

It looks like the car will be in the paint shop hopefully, this week.

Man, I really really want to get my car back!

Status as of today:

I am very excited to seeing when Carlos and his crew work their magic on the (matte) black finish. I know, from our discussions, this has caused him some concern, as painting a car like this in that finish is difficult and more time consuming than a "regular" paint job which is more forgiving. I trust he will get it right.

I will post more, soon...
www.stauningwhisky.dk

Last edited by jsveb; 06-10-2014 at 09:39 AM..
Old 06-10-2014, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Garage
The situation sucks right now, to be honest.

If there is anyone of you out there with knowledge on how to deal with insurance co, I ask for assistance. Please PM me a cell number and I might call you for advice, depending on how the next hours evolve.

I am caught in a bind between the shop and the insurance company right now.
www.stauningwhisky.dk

Last edited by jsveb; 06-17-2014 at 01:21 PM..
Old 06-17-2014, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
Sending good luck hopes
Old 06-17-2014, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

I read the first few pages here when you originally posted them, and I'd like to say I am sorry for your loss. You have a very unique car with an interesting history, it deserves special attention and you deserve to be compensated. With that said, after looking at your most recent pics I need to ask were you hit so hard there was damage done to the opposite side front fender? With the doors and hood off and all the glass out it looks like it is undergoing more of a restoration than a repair.

Last edited by H2odiesel; 06-18-2014 at 06:07 AM..
Old 06-18-2014, 01:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

Garage
I have sent the car to the repair facility for repairing the accident damage, that's it.
I am posting from my iPhone, so I can't scroll back and see the pics, but I do remember chalk markings from the Celette work on the front lh fender.
I also remember having to force my way out right after the accident, so there is some damage in that area.
Regarding the hood. This paint finish cannot be blended or matched, so the car needs a total repaint in order to be brought back to pre-accident condition.
I am not involved as such in the repair shop vs insurance co exempt in the beginning when the insurance co did not realize what car they were dealing with, and now again when I am getting caught between the shop and insurance co.
I appreciate the comments and questions.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

Garage
I really want to write a positive post, but it seems I am stuck between the shop and the insurance company. The insurance company will not pay for the final part of the bill. How they can do this, I don't know. I have done some research myself to be able to make a comparative analysis on the available shops in this area (from LA to San Jose). As it turns out, Dell auto body is a mere $500 more expensive than the cheapest of the other shops I found.
I have asked the insurance for a comprehensive and complete description of why they deny the final estimate.
This is not pretty and a complete waste of time. However, I need to hold the insurance company to California code and legislation.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-02-2014, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Isn't there a layer who can help figure it out? I mean involved already?
Old 07-02-2014, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Time to get a lawyer and let your insurance co and his know your intent to sue. Find out what his property damage limit is, unfortunately the min required is $5k. That means anything above you'll have to go after his personal assets (house, cars, etc). Bad sign that he has minimal coverage, typically means he doesn't have anything to protect. You've got to be an ********* about it unfortunately... If not you'll get screwed.

Keep after your insurance company, they'll continue to hold out and wear you down. If you've got comprehensive coverage the'll have to pay. Start threatening to call the BBB and insurance commission. Squeaky wheel will get the grease, if you go high enough in any company, they'll pay. Nothing worse than having something like this hitting your bosses desk when it should have been handled earlier.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 07-02-2014, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Just a thought pay a professional appraiser to value your car; they can appraise based on pre-accident.

They should be a licensed appraiser.

I had my SC appraised and have a copy of the report even though I have agreed value with Hagerty insurance.

Ask your agent about this approach; it nay be worth the $250.

Others; take heed; good to have an appraisal in your files before disaster strikes.

Good luck; keep us posted.
'70 TR6
N of Boston
Old 07-03-2014, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks. You are spot on.

State Farm actually did hire an appraiser. Though the guy was a pro, he was obviously hired by State Farm. However, there was no denying that this car and the repair did not approach a "total"

My car is unique with options from the factory that sets it apart from the "run of the mill" type porsche. The report does not reflect this, compared to market prices, but since we are not discussing a total anymore, this does not concern me.

Other, do yourself a favor and learn form this. Ignorant, maybe, but I did not imagine that my insurance co would drag me through this.

Infra, yes, I do have comprehensive coverage, and I do not understand why or how the insurance co think they can do this.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-03-2014, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

How much is the total repair bill so far?
Old 07-03-2014, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)

Garage
Jesper, sad to hear your story.
Hope you find a solution with the insurance company.
1986 944 Turbo
Old 07-03-2014, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway-Star View Post
How much is the total repair bill so far?
About 50+ w. A 15 diff between the shop and the insurance.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-07-2014, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by totle View Post
Jesper, sad to hear your story.
Hope you find a solution with the insurance company.
Thank you. This situation is beyond scary, in a modern society...
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-07-2014, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

15 is a small amount in insurance business. Not much worth arguing about for insurance companies. Also, I understand they admit liability.

It is an asymmetrical situation when someone whacks your car. Other party's insurance is liable to pay repairs and compensation. Sometimes cars are repaired more than is necessary to repair accident damage (eg. repair all dings from car, while we are at it). Entire car paint is probably what has set the alarm bells ringing at insurance company.

Perhaps a prudent way to handle other repair work is ask shop to make a separate bill for eg. spraying both front wings, bonnet, bumper separately, for a small amount, which you pay. A bit surprised the body shop did not see this coming, they should know.

But you have a strong point about your 930 satin paint, that does not blend well. Even if it looks blended okay first couple of months, different time painted parts will usually show after a few years, when sun infrared has worked on different finishes. It probably is the cheapest for insurance company too, to do it well first time (and not repeat the paint later).

Discuss the facts with bodyshop, and let them handle the insurance company. They are used to dealing with them, also probably least work for you, too

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks.

Trust me I am discussing all of this with the repair shop, and have been for a long time now.

The special paint is an issue. The shop knows this, I told them from the beginning, and they realize this. The car was just restored, so the paint was perfect before the accident. As you say, this paint cannot be matched, all shops I have discussed this with agrees on that. This is why it all has to be redone, again.

I hope the shop will come through in the end, it was, after all under these premises they accepted this job. However, State Farm has shown more than difficult to deal with, and they do not respond to my inquiries.

www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-08-2014, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: