Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Where are you guys plumbing the output from the BOV back into? The charge pipe?
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 12-15-2013, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTurtle View Post
Where are you guys plumbing the output from the BOV back into? The charge pipe?
The intercooler.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

So it sounds like removing the parts necessary to install a long neck is a decent amount of work. Are there longneck "kits" out there that will then fit up without custom fabrication. I guess I'm looking for the best of both worlds which rarely exists. The Turbokraft and Fabspeed longnecks appear to fit this bill. Does anyone have installation experience with either that they are willing to share? Just looking for general thoughts on it.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Old 12-15-2013, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Brian,

That looks really nice. Is it one of yours?

Will
Old 12-15-2013, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Here is one I recently modified:

Brian, I understand the fittings for the over boost sensor and the electronic boost sensor, but what is the big hose fitting for that you have on the adapter? Are you plumbing that to the AAV instead of taking the hose off the intercooler port?
Old 12-15-2013, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Old 12-15-2013, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes the intercooler pictured is our Gen II OEM direct replacement unit. Plug and play. We now have Gen III.

The hose fitting on the adapter is for the 965 BOV should it be deisired. Personally I like leaving the BOV to vent to atmosphere. Flames are cool.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSpool87 View Post
So it sounds like removing the parts necessary to install a long neck is a decent amount of work. Are there longneck "kits" out there that will then fit up without custom fabrication. I guess I'm looking for the best of both worlds which rarely exists. The Turbokraft and Fabspeed longnecks appear to fit this bill. Does anyone have installation experience with either that they are willing to share? Just looking for general thoughts on it.

Thanks!
Here are two fun to read articles on it OldSpool

Kokeln intercooler

Incoming! Kokeln I/C "charge air cooler" - questions on install
Old 12-15-2013, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

You were just joking about the vent to atmosphere right? Or is this a new trick?
Old 12-15-2013, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

So I got lucky today. A friend not only had one, but TWO BOVs that he didn't want anymore so he gave me a great deal. I felt better about having an extra in my vault as I literally destroyed a chunk of unobtanium...

After that, I had to "nut up" to make the cuts into that big hunk of magnesium. It sounds so easy when you talk about it in cyberspace... but as you make that first pass with the hacksaw you start thinking about the history and the German guy that made that piece in 1983 and how he would probably like to beat your a$$ if he saw you... (no pun intended)

After I cut it up, I realized just how perfectly sized it was for the bead blaster After the bead blaster I saw all the casting slag on the inside so I grabbed a spare intercooler and marked everyplace that had over hang. Then I dug out the dremel and did a little street port to make sure the air didn't have any sharp edges to travel around. Once I got the street port done I figured that since there is no fuel at this point maybe I could just hand polish the passage with 600grit, 800grit and finally 2000grit. Damn it's shiny... and port matched to a stock intercooler too! Probably worth .125hp

Then I remembered that JFairman (I think it was him anyway) told me that you can use a 1/8npt bushing and tap it for M8-1.00 very easily. So I fabbed the plate and cut it for a 1/4npt to 1/8npt bushing and drilled and tapped the appropriate holes to fit the overboost sensor and my boost line for the mechanical boost gauge. After all that was done, I roughed up the surfaces and used some... yup, I'm gonna say it... JB Weld to put it all together

Once it dries tomorrow, I will tap the brass fittings, file off the excess edging from the plate and paint it some color that I have not decided on yet. Now I just need the 964 parts to make it work...
Old 12-15-2013, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

unless you have a slant. Not sure where to put mine
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 12-15-2013, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes it is a bit sacrilege to cut up a 30 year old Porsche 930 part. I pause every time.

No I'm not kidding about venting to atmosphere. I've done it on all my intercoolers that used the 965 BOV adapter.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Hmm... I thought the BOV went in the air tract pre-turbo and it's outlet plumbed post turbo. Isn't the 964 elbow pre-turbo?
Old 12-15-2013, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
After all that was done, I roughed up the surfaces and used some... yup, I'm gonna say it... JB Weld to put it all together
HA! At last, I'm vindicated. If you ever followed my thread of 4 years ago when I did a similar hack (but I left a bit more material on) I got just a wee bit of doubt from others when I chose JB Weld. I really wanted to weld up that magnesium properly, but around here all the welders I know just smiled and walked away, saying something about fireworks. So far, the JB hasn't degraded a bit.

As to BOV routing, I route mine back to it's original pre-turbo pipe so it still recirculates vs going to atmosphere. Lots and lots of discussion on this topic if you care to search. To atmosphere, you'll see a rich spike when the BOV opens (if still using CIS fueling), maybe resulting in some glorious flamage (as Brian mentioned).
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmm... I thought the BOV went in the air tract pre-turbo and it's outlet plumbed post turbo. Isn't the 964 elbow pre-turbo?
Yes I would be interested if that setup doesn't use a BOV on the inlet side myself, no 965 elbow? I like it, less clutter.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I had a 965 elbow but capped it and ran the BOV off of the AAR port of the IC.
This option was added to my stock replacement intercooler so you can run 930 BOV or 965 BOV.

I use JBWeld on my conversions as well. You can see it on the bungs in the earlier picture and here on the plate in this one where the TBV is retained. Works great!

Old 12-15-2013, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Oilonly- thanks for the links. Good info and read. Looks like the longneck conversion can be either straightforward or Pandora's box. The outcome also appears influenced by how and with what parts the IC is plumbed.

Thanks again!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
I had a 965 elbow but capped it and ran the BOV off of the AAR port of the IC.
I like that. I still have my decel valve hooked up so maybe i try BOV to atmosphere also.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
TurboKraft made me a full width I.C. to replace my Andial and at the same time they removed the factory recirculation valve. If I recall correctly the rwhp was 476 with the Andial and jumped to 519rwhp with a lot more throttle response. Maybe Chris can post the dyno sheets.. Worth every penny!
Old 12-18-2013, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: