Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Longneck

Looking for a way to replace the factory BOV with something a little sexier. Anyone know of an efficient longneck intercooler out there that won't cost a small fortune? I think I'll go EFI eventually (if I keep the car) so this is more of an experiment for me than anything else. I look forward to the advice and ideas!
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 12-10-2013, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Don't know your price threshold but it sounds like you want a good one relatively cheap.
That means a used one and efficiant 4" thick core halfbays in nice condtion are usually around a grand while they are usually around 2 grand or more new.
Full bay intercoolers require removal of the rear AC condenser and US made ones will cost a lot more than Chinese ones.

Bel may have the lowest price on new ones and he makes them to your specs.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I'm in the same frame of mind. I hear longneck could add 30hp but just find that a little hard to believe. Maybe if after a defined use the stock one is heat soaked but the aftermarket one isn't, then some differences become more apparent. And the shuttle valve has to slow things down a bit. I wish a credible source would publish a same day before and after dyno chart or some roll-on times.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I've gone native

Of the modern ICs, I like the turbo kraft (modern garretson/andial), bb (both long and short), and the fabspeed (modern Kolken).
Old 12-10-2013, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm not so much concerned about the HP gain, there are plenty of tried and true recipes for that. I'm more interested in understanding the experience of how the turbo comes up and throttle response when you pin the pedal as you approach the apex. The stock 930 stuff is easy to predict, it's lazy and talks to you as you are about to get max power. I want to see what the difference is with that big BOV removed. I'm not convinced that you can get that information from a dyno chart... to many dynamics and variables at play. I drive the 930's based on sound and feel, definitely not by looking at the tach. But maybe that is a poor strategy.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I have a long neck in a 911 with 930 engine. My intercooler is an andial. I use sc cams and a gt30r but look at this.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Nice vid! The wet road distorts everything a little bit though. I was trying to watch your tach and your boost gauge at the same time... took a few loops through the vid. It seems like it is more of an on/off switch with could make it a bit more of a handful, but at the same time allow a little lower rpm as the boost will kick harder earlier. It looks like you are running a 915 box too which has a little less bog effect on the upshifts. I can't justify $2k to play, but something less and I might be tempted to give it the old college try
Color me jealous... I want one to try!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I don't believe a long neck IC in-and-of itself will give you any difference performance numbers vs. a short neck aftermarket. Both will give you benefits over stock IC, though. The long necks sole purpose is that it enables you remove the chunk of magnesium stock BOV/boost recirculation assembly. Supposedly...by doing so...you reduce turbo lag since there would be less air space to fill up with the stock secondary manifold removed from the equation.

The long necks allow a nice clean means of removing said stock re-circ system and drop a few pounds of weight as well. But be sure that if you want to keep all your "stuff" that's currently hooked to your stock manifold assembly (boost gauge sender, overboost switch, engine overun diverter valve [the gold saucer shaped thing]) that your replacement IC will need to accommodate them.

Or do the hack that I did (I won't bore you with my hack job when I removed the stock recirculation/BOV manifold and still used my short neck IC....you've probably seen me post it a zillion times. It's not at all purty but quite functional). If you currently have a stock IC and are looking to upgrade to aftermarket, by all means seek out a long neck and go for it. I made the mistake of buying a short neck (not sorry about that) before I really knew what the hell I wanted in the long run.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Any short neck can be converted into a long neck with an adapter.

I've tried just about every intercooler on the market. Actually I cannot think of any brand I haven't tried. The difference between the 965 BOV and my freshly rebuilt 930 BOV is absolutely zero. Nadda. None. I can't telll where the 965 BOV does any better job. What it DOES do is really clean up the bay and make that godforsaken #1 spark plug reachable.
For that alone it is worth the switch.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
The difference between the 965 BOV and my freshly rebuilt 930 BOV is absolutely zero. Nadda. None. I can't telll where the 965 BOV does any better job. What it DOES do is really clean up the bay and make that godforsaken #1 spark plug reachable.
For that alone it is worth the switch.
I believe you're absolutely correct. I went through all that work to delete the stock recirc manifold and fit an after market BOV while keeping my short neck IC (my goal was to remove that chunk of magnesium, use a potentially quicker operating BOV, and not have to mess with an adaptor to fill in the blanks). It was fun, probably a waste of time and $$, but works fine. All I really gained was a few pounds less weight most likely and cleaning up the engine bay, so I guess that's worth something.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

[QUOTE][What it DOES do is really clean up the bay and make that godforsaken #1 spark plug reachable.
For that alone it is worth the switch./QUOTE]

Is why I made the change.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Any pics of how your mods look? I need some ideas to "borrow/steal"
Old 12-11-2013, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Here is a video of my cleaned out engine bay. I have installed a larger BMC air filter plus routed the breather lines better since this video.

930 engine.3gp - YouTube
Old 12-11-2013, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Not sure if this counts as a thread hijack but the feedback may benefit the thread: does anyone have any thoughts on ease of fitment on longnecks? I hear they can be a bit of a pain. It looks like the TurboKraft unit is the closest to a plug 'n play unit (longneck) there is.

Oilonly- that bay looks really buttoned up.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I would say it requires a little finess but nothing crazy. Biggest decision is are you going to ditch the emissions stuff to clear the way and are you going to re use the decel valve to prevent too much popping. I kept the decel valve and ditched the emission stuff.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Here is one I recently modified:

And one I made for the Red Rocket:

Longneck intercoolers are NOT plug and play. They are rip everything off the top of the engine and re-plumb all the hoses. If you are lucky you won't have to cut the decklid as most big ones rub. The turbo up-pipe is tossed as are most of the OEM hold-down bolts. If you've never done it before it is a full afternoon's work.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

All right then, if you're going to show pictures, here's my chop. As you can see I did not use a 964 rubber elbow/BOV combination. Instead kept a portion of the chopped manifold. Again, I did this just so I wouldn't have to sell my short neck and buy a long neck.

But I do really like the adaptor that Brain shows in his first picture. Would be nice to find one of those.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

The turbo kraft long neck looks really trick to me. If I didn't need ac I might consider hunting down a c2 ic for an oem look
Old 12-12-2013, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
I've gone native

Properly done andial long neck.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
The turbo kraft long neck looks really trick to me. If I didn't need ac I might consider hunting down a c2 ic for an oem look
We have several used C2T intercoolers, including one of the rare Turbo Cup / S2 intercoolers.
Relocating the rear A/C condenser is really not very difficult, and replacing it with a 964/993 condenser in the left front fender is much more efficient.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 12-14-2013, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: