Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
87 930 Cab Value? a new baby has me testing the waters to sell this baby

I bought my dream car and love the thing. Its a work of art and I know I will regret what I am considering. My master plan has been foiled by a baby. My wife and I are blessed with an amazing son born this year. Over 50 a new child was not part of the master plan either. Having a 12 year old son I know whats ahead and demands on time. I bought the car in June of 2012 with 72,793 miles on it and it now has 73,041 miles on it. I just don't have time to drive the car and enjoy it like I planed. I'm thinking in 10 to 15 years I will get some free time again. Because of that I'm trying to figure what my 1987 930 with Silver Metallic with Marine Blue Leather interior and Blue top is worth in this market. Winter is not the best time of year to sell a cabriolet but heck its not cold everywhere right?

Here is the question, how much is she worth and where is the best place to get the word out to sell her?

Since I got the car, you can see by past posts, I've made some changes. The doctor that owned the car for 11 years in NC before I bought it took great care of the car but a few things needed to be fixed.

Here is the list of improvements I have done to the car
[*]Bakes and rotors all around[*]Painted passender door due to small area of paint that was burned through during a detail polish gone wrong. Paint blend and new clear coat sprayed on door and quarter[*]New reverse light switch[*]Replaced cracked tail light[*]New pedal cluster kit and new clutch cable[*]Oil Change[*]Air box and filter[*]Replaced the chrome turbo twist wheels with the correct Fuchs for the year[*]Certificate of authenticity [*]Air compressor for spare tire[*]Professional detail on outside[*]Car sits under a car cover, never seen the rain

I have a 3 ring binder of maintenance records that go back 1988 when the engine case was replaced by the Porsche dealer for what looks like an oil leak. At least it looks like it was.

Left front fender was repainted at some point in its life but not sure why. No damage that I can see.

Pictures to follow.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
I vote to keep the car. I have little kids and still managed to put on almost 5K miles on my car this year. But if you have to sell, I'd guess something in the $40K range. Congrats.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Pictures

Old 12-26-2013, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Photos

Old 12-26-2013, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage

Old 12-26-2013, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Congrats on the little one! I also vote on keeping the car if financially possible. I sold my 993 when my daughter was born two years ago and soon realized it was something I didn't need to do. I was able to pick up a 930 a year later and believe me Its nice to go out for a nice drive during nap time or drive it to the office every so often. It may also give you the opportunity to spend a little time with your 12 year old. Good luck with the sale if you decide to go that route
Old 12-26-2013, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Nice car, you'll really regret selling it later, especially if you don't have to have to. If you do, then you do. Post it here on the cars for sale area. I would "guesstimate" high 50s to low 60s.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Mmmm tough one,

Babies arent in much demand these days

But seriously

Being a Porsche thats 100k
Running with no rust Add $1
History add $1
Porsche Badge on Bonnet $30k

$130k+ no problem

Before everyone balks, realise its the sellers that controls the market
You hear people say that prices are starting to move, well thats only because some people are waking up to the fact that the cars are worth much more,

The porsche (930) owners that think they are only worth 40 or 50k then THATS the current Market!! (I call them the ones that don't have the passion nothing personal) will sell their cars grossly undervalued to be picked up by an owner who lives/love their porsche who will keep it through hell and high water and only if an extreme circumstance arose where they had to part with their true love they would not look at any offers under 6 figures.

And when all the cars on the market are $100k plus do you think they will sell?
You bet they will because that will be the new/real price, so if you sell it for 40 or 50 or even 60k its undervalue cos i bet you in 12 months someone will pay $110k for that car, if they get it cheaper it only means theres still owners out there that dont have the passion for PORSCHE 930's

AN ORIGINAL PORSCHE 930 wants an owner that will love it and respect it and not someone who devalues it, They are WORTH SO MUCH MORE!!

The PORSCHE 930 is and always will be greatest sportscar that ever graced the road.

If i had the Money id Buy every last one of them and only pass them onto another who can snatch the pebbles from my hand

Without Prejudice
Old 12-26-2013, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
FWIW . . . I offer you a recent reference point. I just sold my '89 911 Turbo Cab in September (2013) and it had 43K original miles. It was Guards Red with Cashmere Beige sport seats and had absolutely zero mods. Everything from the factory came with the car (books, tools, keys, original stereo, spare tire, etc) and it had extensive service records (not 100% complete, but I would say 75%). The only thing that was missing was the original window sticker. The interior was absolutely perfect while the paint was all original and easily an 8.5/10. I would say the only thing that bugged me is the top was looking a bit tired and could have used replacing. I ended up consigning it to a dealer in Atlanta because I was moving from Alabama to DC and did not think I would use it (big mistake!). That said, it took a while to sell (5 months), but I believe that's because the dealer didn't push it that hard and they didn't specialize in Porsches (they were a large classic car dealership). They advertised the car for $59.9K and the dealer sold it for $55.5K. After they got their cut, I walked away with $51.5K.

I debated long and hard about consigning it, but honestly I didn't have time to deal with tire kickers and long phone calls. All I had time for was to wait for the check (and hey, to some of us there is value in that). Nevertheless, I still believe I left money on the table and sold it for way less than what it was worth. At the time, I saw low mileage, unmolested '89 cabs with asking prices in the $70K's and $80K's. However I knew those cars had not moved for quite some time (some had been for sale for over a year). Ultimately the dealer convinced me I needed to be more realistic with my price. Keep in mind even with mine priced in the $50K's, it still took 5 months to find the right buyer.

Regarding your car, the aftermarket mods may not appeal to everyone. I have found the cars that bring the big money are the ones in original condition. Also, the wood trim and blue interior may not be to everyone's liking. However your car looks to have all the bits and pieces that should be there as well as recent service and good documentation. Considering those factors as well as the miles, I think you would be waiting a very long time to find a buyer if you priced it in the $60K's. I do think it would move real quick in the mid-to-high $40K's, so perhaps the low $50K's is the sweet spot. I disagree with the statement that it's only the sellers who control the market. Sellers can ask all they want for their cars, but the car won’t move unless the price is grounded in reality. Just think back to when you were buying your car. What would you pay for it?

I think you have a nice car, I just want to give you an honest assessment having just gone through all this. It's easy to get caught up in the prices listed by Sloan, Top Gear, truSpeed, etc. But I often wondered where were the buyers with $89K when I was selling? They just weren't there. Keep in mind if you are fair with your price, your car will sell.

Last edited by Sniff; 12-27-2013 at 06:37 AM..
Old 12-26-2013, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Sean-

That's probably the best post I've read on this forum in a long time regarding the market.

VERY WELL SAID, on all points.

Thanks for candidly sharing your insight, and for your candor. You hit the nail on the head IMO. And that's for an '89!

Patrick, IMO 911 cabs don't command the same market as coupes - regardless of which engine.

Agreed w/ some of the points made here regarding the blue gut / polished Fuchs / etc. maybe not appealing to as broad an audience.

Worse, what I see is a sun burnt and some what dinge-y interior (no offense, not a judgment but an observation) - the carpets look pretty faded and the leather's different shades of discoloration & dry (not abnormal for cabs obviously).

And while the completeness of things like the books / accessories are a plus, these statements will present a challenge for you:

"engine case was replaced by the Porsche dealer for what looks like an oil leak. At least it looks like it was.

Left front fender was repainted at some point in its life but not sure why."

So you've got a non-numbers matching car w/ 70k (with ?k on the motor replaced for ? reason), with paintwork for ? reason.

Again, not trying to be harsh, just referencing the reality.

I'd probably ask $45k (and that's probably a high-ask but I'm trying to be nice), but expect $35k. Me, I love the silver blue combo and also dig cabs (see sig)...

Just my opinion of course, but hope that helps - good luck with the sale, and most importantly congrats on your new son! Life sure does throw us some curve balls sometimes, but that's not a terrible one. Agreed with others, keep it if you can (I got mine when mine were 4, 2, & 2... installed rear 3pt belts this summer heh heh now 11/9/9).

Sure be a shame to sell after only 6mos... and worse... a few hundred miles. Also agreed, I commute to work with mine occasionally as it's good opportunity to use it!

Anyway, again good luck whatever you do...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 12-27-2013, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I have an 8 year old and 4 month old twins and an '87 930. It's tough to keep them all happy, but certainly doable. KEEP the car! It's the best looking 930 cab I have ever seen!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Both of my kids - doctors nowadays - rode the back seats of the 930 until they would NOT fit anymore back there... they loved and still love the car and all memories...

Don't sell it!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Sean-

That's probably the best post I've read on this forum in a long time regarding the market.

VERY WELL SAID, on all points.

Thanks for candidly sharing your insight, and for your candor. You hit the nail on the head IMO. And that's for an '89!

Paul -- Thanks for your comments . . . I tend to take my posts on these forums seriously (well except for the thread I started on Kim Kardashian's booty). I choose my words carefully as these threads stay around forever and I don't want anything I say to come back to haunt me. It's nice to hear when someone appreciates my efforts.

I also agree with your assessment of Patrick's interior. Although it has been professionally detailed, I think it is looking a bit tired in places. I have pictures of my interior posted to my garage (it was one of the things I was most proud of before I sold the car), so you can see my standards may be a bit on the "fussy" side (hey, at least I'm willing to admit it). I was well on my way to getting the entire car in that condition, but life threw me a wrench and I was reassigned to DC. Oh well, I now realize selling her was a mistake, but I am enjoying the search for her replacement.

Patrick -- If you love the car and it isn't presenting a financial burden on your family, I would recommend keeping it. I have two daughters (2 and 5 yrs) who take up a great deal of my time, but I always found a few minutes at the end of the day to turn a few wrenches in the garage and take her out for the occasional "spirited" weekend drive. Plus your car is sorted and believe me, there is value in having a known entity.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

If you looked at the car as your sons college fund, would that make more palatable to keep?
Old 12-27-2013, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
...so you can see my standards may be a bit on the "fussy" side (hey, at least I'm willing to admit it). I was well on my way to getting the entire car in that condition, but life threw me a wrench and I was reassigned to DC. Oh well, I now realize selling her was a mistake, but I am enjoying the search for her replacement.
if it is any encouragement for you and your woes / efforts... I'd sold mine b/c I 'needed to' at the time, didn't regret it as I don't believe in it but def missed it - and - but 1.5yrs later offered back for purchase out of the blue. Find another 8-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
...Patrick -- If you love the car and it isn't presenting a financial burden on your family, I would recommend keeping it. I have two daughters (2 and 5 yrs) who take up a great deal of my time, but I always found a few minutes at the end of the day to turn a few wrenches in the garage and take her out for the occasional "spirited" weekend drive. Plus your car is sorted and believe me, there is value in having a known entity.
^werdz of wisdom once again^

and if it makes you feel any better Patrick, my cab gut was of similar patina from the CA / NV rays... and that was on a '96 - sun's a biatch heh heh.

anywho

everyone's situ is unique tho and sometimes you have to do what have to do, if if that's the case - again - GLWS... otherwise, GLW attending to your baby and yer 'baby' 8-)

mine goes 'neglected' (not really, but I also want a solid gold toilet it's just not in the cardz) as my family comes first and that devours precious time / $$$ resources (I'm no superhero as some folks who own these things sure are Just John Q MiddleClassless,) but I do best I can and pretty good keeping up with it... it can be done

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 12-27-2013, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

That is a tough one, try to hold out as long as possible. You have a great car, if selling is the only option my gut would say to start at $70k. I really feel our 930's are undervalued and should command about 50% higher than they typically bring.

Congrats with the new addition to the family
Old 12-27-2013, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I agree with the other point of view on current car values ,
It IS a buyers Market at the moment,

BUT It IS a Small market out there thats why i believe that the sellers CAN control price But that time hasnt arrived yet

Think about this side of it

Example,
when i went to Look for a 930 to Buy i looked at all the cars for sale online, There were about 20 cars here in Australia at that time for sale, About 6 of them were original RHD Euro, the pricing average was 28k to about 100k with 90% of ALL 930's for sale inc cabs then around the 80k mark, with one cab selling for 80k

I bought the 28k one.

I wanted a 930 nothing else regardless of condition so i got the cheapest one i could at that time. Im not a mechanic i did not care about condition as long as it was registered and working and i could drive it home, if the cheapest 930 i found was 120k i would have bought that one because i wanted a PORSCHE I dont care about smoking engines or wheels that fall off and PPI's and al;l that, you hear everyone going on about make sure you get a good one make sure it has this or that and dont pay over X amount for it.. blooody hell THAT KEEPS THE PRICE DOWN> it doesnt matter to me i BUY A porsche because i LOVE THEM i have passion for them and if it is neglected then it needs help but i wont walk away from it like so many do in the search for a cheaper perfect car, too bloody picky i say.

YOu buy a PORSCHE for the HISTORY and Character and plain FUN , if you buy for investment you keep the price of all the other cars down, (not good for sellers who have put time money and effort into their cars.

So i can safely say that based on law of averages in my original post if they were ALL selling at 50k more then they would still sell at the SAME rate they do now... the cheaper ones will go first etc because the buyers like ME see the cheaper ones as the bargain !!,

BUT If everyone who is selling their 930 puts up the price $150 to $200k

then Patrick87 puts his car for sale for $100k

what will the outcome be?

It will be an extremely quick sale for him
Easy as that but that wont happen until all the El cheapo owners sell their cars
Personally wont affect me
I dont care if the prices go up or down,
I bought mine to keep and drive everyday

without Prejudice to anyone here just a point of view
Old 12-27-2013, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2mny View Post
Nice car, you'll really regret selling it later, especially if you don't have to have to. If you do, then you do. Post it here on the cars for sale area. I would "guesstimate" high 50s to low 60s.
this. these cars are on the move. valuations 6 months ago may as well be 3 years old...price trajectory is well on the rise!!!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I suppose everyone's entitled to their opinion. I still contend if Patrick advertises his car in the $60K's and $70K's, he won't get very far given the mileage, mods, and interior issues mentioned. It all depends on what he wants to do . . . actually sell the car or just advertise that it's for sale. At those price points, I think he'll get calls, but I doubt the offers will be anywhere near his asking price. Also, consider all the people who are in the market for this type of car who will just look elsewhere because they have been turned off by an unrealistic asking price. Most people I know are not like our friend in Australia who can take a "money's no object" position on these types of purchases. Again, I go back to when we were all buyers. Did any of us want to overpay?

Patrick -- Realize where most of these comments are coming from. Most of us already own a 930 and would love to believe our cars (at the present time) are worth this kind of money. I admit the market is strong on these cars, but I think it's not quite to those levels unless it is an unmolested, fully-documented, low-mileage example. So I suppose Patrick it's up to you to put the issue to bed (I already offered my sale as a data point). Test the waters by advertising your car for $130K (as one Pelican commented) and see where it goes. Then advertise it for $100K and see where it goes . . . and so on. Either way, let us know the number that you and the new buyer (if it comes to that) finally agree on.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

To the buyers that wait for that real deal, go to any of the auctions in January. You will always hear groups of unhappy guys lamenting, what a dumb Azz I was , why i could have bought one for 1/10th etc. etc. X number of years ago, or conversely complaining selling for way much less and on and on. I have overheard these conversation since the 80s when the 300SL's went out of sight, thru the 90s with Ferrari Aston Martin etc. Best to get yours ASAP or keep yours without hesitation, if possible. You only will lose ownership time. As a famous auction owner ( Barrett) once said, " you don't pay too much, you only buy too soon ". I think this quote might very well apply to 930 cars at this time.

Last edited by voitureltd; 12-28-2013 at 09:42 AM..
Old 12-28-2013, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: